That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

King Poetic

A.K.A. Curve
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
Much respect tho to at least New Yorkers like Eric B, Kool G Rap, Freddie Fox who by the time they was done by 93 was real dudes...

Is it true the real 50 cent robbed LL of his chain

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The funniest shyt is nikkas like Heavy D was really street nikkas but came in the game on some love song/happy shyt so seeing them shift over to being gangster looked weird even though they were really more about that shyt then nikkas that came in the game like that.

Heavy didn't really go 'gangsta' tho... he didn't start cussin' and talkin' about killin' nikkas or none of that. He was still clean and makin' songs about chicks and all that. It was just slightly rougher musically than what he was known for. He always had straight-up rap shyt on his albums anyway. It wasn't as extreme as Hammer and them... some people went super-extreme with it, but others just adapted to the times. I wouldn't put Heavy in that "went gangsta" category.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Heavy didn't really go 'gangsta' tho... he didn't start cussin' and talkin' about killin' nikkas or none of that. He was still clean and makin' songs about chicks and all that. It was just slightly rougher musically than what he was known for. He always had straight-up rap shyt on his albums anyway. It wasn't as extreme as Hammer and them... some people went super-extreme with it, but others just adapted to the times. I wouldn't put Heavy in that "went gangsta" category.

That’s fair

Thegospel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This thread is all jokes but y’all don’t use your brains and apply this to the new fake pro black shyt that’s in now. Bottom line these nikkas don’t give a fukk about nothing but the check. Y’all care about that other shyt

En Sabah Nur

The First
Daps
Reppin
Survival of the fittest
DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

I remember they debuted this after Fresh Prince episode. My pops bought the single :scusthov:...the B side joint went ham sammich though:ohlawd:
Will talking about knocking nikkas out :russ:

And In Living Color had this sketch where all the gangsta rappers switched up once the cameras went off :mjlol:

Last edited:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even cube was guilty of this. He was never a soft rapper by any means, but he went from a political rapper to super gangster. I think 2pac and Monster kody called him out on it.

Cube gets a pass... I mean, he DID do GANGSTA GANGSTA. He always been on that vibe... it just a brief period while with P.E. he was on that black empowerment political rap.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Reading through this thread, some of y'all really got it twisted about Cube or never really listened to his albums.

1st. Cube been on that harder gangsta shyt since the beginning. Same nikka who said he wish to kick a bytch in her tummy once he found out she was pregnant. The dude who wrote Boyz N the Hood for some wack New York rappers and they rejected it because it was too hardcore before Dre gave the song to Eazy. You are going to just base his brief political rap stint from 1990-1992 over his ENTIRE career? Two years???

Granted, this is a great thread with a lot of truth of a lot of soft to non-gangsta suddenly turned thugged out when it became commercial. But don't act like the same brother who did "Be True to the Game" and with the video when he was doing fukking home invasions...wasn't ever on that vibe prior to 1993. Not the same dude who in '90 said he's the B-the I- the C- the T- the H- the K- the I- the L- the T- the A.

The truth is that ALL OF THE WEST COAST got caught up in the whole G-Funk era. So, musically the whole SOUND changed. Cube also made amends with Dre. And he was more annoyed at New York for not respecting him or anyone from the west coast so he entrenched himself more in that. And the criticism back then was the fact people asked for the jeri curl Cube back. It wasn't something that just sudden.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cube helped put Gangsta rap to the forefront. Pac was mad at Cube for riding the coattail of the the east vs west for the sake of being cool.

The thing about this is Pac was locked up when Cube was beefing with the east. Cube was actually the one who 1st was calling out the East Coast in '95 with Mack 10's Westside Slaughterhouse and really also at Common. Pac was locked up so he couldn't have known it and really was biting Cube, WC and Mack -10 were doing with throwing up the dub and yelling Westside.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
De la Soul & Pete Rock & CL Smooth managed to stay themselves and make quality. De La's sales dipped though.

Gang Starr definitely went more hardcore on 'Hard To Earn'.

KMD went harder on Black b*stards.

Souls of Mischief tried on those heavy town accents and went darker on 'No Man's Land'.

Show & AG went VERY dark on 'Goodfellas'.

According to Primo, the reason why Hard to Earn sounded the way it did was because they were offended by being viewed as just a "jazz rap group" and being lumped in with Digable Planets.

Ironically, Digable Planets switched their whole edge up from soft to more hardcore with the next album.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
fukk that. :pachaha: 1993 was the GOAT year for me music wise, but some of those songs were hilarious now looking back.

I remember that Vanilla Ice shyt with the dreads like it was yesterday. :mjlol: