Tech Industry Lies: "tHeReS sO mUcH mONey iN tECh. TeCH bReHs eATin GooD"

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
Water is wet brehs. This is America and ALL industries under pay us.

OP you make the same thread every day :what:. You need to focus your energy on getting a job instead of trying to discourage brehs from getting into tech

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no doubt I was underpaid at two jobs in particular , but I actually negotiated for both :mjcry:.....just had no idea where to start because I didn't know any one else in tech I could really talk to beforehand and coworkers usually be vague as shyt when you try to talk about money
Not sure if you in tech but there is a site that opened my eyes to how much people were getting paid : Levels.fyi | Salaries & Tools to Level Up Your Career
Last go round I straight up told a couple companies nah no thanks when they tried to act like xyz was the most money they could offer.

Knew I had the site bookmarked....

Also sign up for Anonymous Professional Network for discussions
and salary info Salary Comparison

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
The issue is , black people most likely won't negotiate cuz they'd be lucky to even get a job interview, let alone get the actual job. We're in no position to negotiate shyt.

THAT'S THE ILLUSION. YOU ARE IN A POSITION TO NEGOTIATE. ALWAYS.

EVERY JOB I HAVE EVER HELD CAME DOWN TO NEGOTIATING. MY GOAL IS TO GET AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I NEGOTIATED 3 YEARS SENORITY ON A JOB FOR A COMPANY I NEVER WORKED FOR BECAUSE I KNEW I COULD TRANSFER TO ANOTHER LOCATION AND MY SENIORITY WOULD COMMAND A HIGHER WAGE.

SoSoSlick

Still gettin it!
Daps
Reppin
PG County
Aint nothing new. We usually start lower because we didn't negotiate or know our value in the first place. You either get lucky, find out what others make, and have the balls to call your PM out on it in hopes he values you enough (I did this) or leave/job hop.

Eclipser

All Star
Daps
Whenever a recruiter ask about your salary demands...flip the question back on them and ask for the position’s pay range.
Bad advice. If you do this you are:

1. Allowing the recruiter to set the range. They will tell you whatever is advantageous to them.
2. Exposing that you don't know the salary range for the position, which will make #1 easier.

As an alternative you should know in advance the salary range for the position and take the high end + some percentage so you don't end up midrange if they try to talk you down. (and you should be resistant to being talked down and willing to walk away as well)

Eclipser

All Star
Daps
Aint nothing new. We usually start lower because we didn't negotiate or know our value in the first place. You either get lucky, find out what others make, and have the balls to call your PM out on it in hopes he values you enough (I did this) or leave/job hop.
DING DING DING

YoungSimpson

RIP Strika
Daps
Reppin
GA
I am in the field, and the worst thing you can do for yourself is not negotiate your salary and take the first offer. I have worked with people making 10-30k less than me doing the same job, but did not take the risk of saying no.
Learned this the hard way. I was so eager to get out of a fukked up situation that I just took the first offer. When I started I found out what everybody else was making especially those that were nowhere as good as me. I was literally making less than EVERYBODY. I was sick. Now I demand what I want and I've been getting it too.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Water is wet brehs. This is America and ALL industries under pay us.

OP you make the same thread every day :what:. You need to focus your energy on getting a job instead of trying to discourage brehs from getting into tech
That is his MO. He couldn't make it in IT. He wanted to be below average and coast. Possibly got into it for the wrong reasons. When he realized you got to pay some dues and put in some work, this is the energy you get. You got to be an idiot to not see through the multiple threads he has made on this. Projecting his own failures under the guise of "we" and black cant waste time :heh:. Motherfukker didnt even know what a fukking clearance is. Not one single significant accomplishment but thinks he can talk on it like he has. Moved on my ass...this nikka clearly would love to do what most of us seasoned in the industry do right now if he could.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I am in the field, and the worst thing you can do for yourself is not negotiate your salary and take the first offer. I have worked with people making 10-30k less than me doing the same job, but did not take the risk of saying no.

Same. I’ve negotiated my salary at my last 2 jobs. Their offer is never their best. Try to get multiple offers too.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
By the title of this thread I thought this links were going to speak on black people earning low or average salaries in tech but this is really about pay gap. What’s the average salary for a black person in tech? If they are making above 6 figures or close then they are eating good. The pay gap would be another issue and topic to talk about

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bad advice. If you do this you are:

1. Allowing the recruiter to set the range. They will tell you whatever is advantageous to them.
2. Exposing that you don't know the salary range for the position, which will make #1 easier.

As an alternative you should know in advance the salary range for the position and take the high end + some percentage so you don't end up midrange if they try to talk you down. (and you should be resistant to being talked down and willing to walk away as well)

No matter what the organization is determining the range. If they want you they will adjust, otherwise you can take your services elsewhere.

Also, nothing stopping you from requesting over their range.

You’re also assuming the candidate doesn’t know the range for the position.

September

Symbol Of Excellence
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Idaho.
I'm sensitive to this, i really am. Its obviously much easier to negotiate when you currently have a job vs looking to be employed with bills stacking up.

How about this comprimise?

You take that first job at the pay that is clearly below what you're worth. But then, a year later, instead of waiting until you quit, you actually start looking while being employed. Now you have an extra year under your belt, and you aren't negotiating from a place of need but rather a position of strength.

This way you're not always feeling like "I NEED THIS JOB NO MATTER WHAT!"
This is basically me. I know for a fact now that people who work with me make more, but I took the first offer I received. I had been passed up for the position in the past, unemployed and most importantly, I was a black woman without a college degree. I felt like I was in no position to bargain. I found a job in the tech industry in a non-tech position and for the past two years, have been absorbing as much as I can about coding, participating in tech related projects, and went back to school to finish my degree, pivoting from Caribbean studies to computer science :pachaha: (and my job offers tuition reimbursement) !

I’m staying put for now, but when I decided to move on I’ll have the confidence and knowledge to bargain a higher salary. I may have not been in this position had I tried that the first time around. It’s different for everyone. Definitely know your worth tho.

Eclipser

All Star
Daps
Edit: fukk it, believe what you want to believe.

Last edited: