Tech Industry Lies: "tHeReS sO mUcH mONey iN tECh. TeCH bReHs eATin GooD"

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Negotiation has never worked for me because it's still not normally enough to close the gap between white co-workers. They give you a raise and then turn around and give them an even bigger raise than what you got.

Job hopping is the only thing I've found that really narrows the wage gap.

Its always better to find a job when you already have one. That way you can walk away from the negotiation table if they call your bluff.

Never tell them how much you make currently. And if they ask just lie and add 25k on top. They don't and can't really verify your current salary. Honestly I don't really have to negotiate base salary much anymore cause I tell them upfront what I'm looking for and the minimum I would accept before the interview and tell them to make me an offer above that. Really the only things I negotiate now are stock/ RSU's and annual bonus %.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So then you get your foot in, and be looking to jump ship asap. The days of being loyal to a company are over. A company will drop you in a heart beat, so you should feel the same way.
Word. That’s why I ask what technologies they are using in the interview...the versions too. If they are behind, I pass. You should be marketable from your first day forward and outdated technology won’t cut it.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its always better to find a job when you already have one. That way you can walk away from the negotiation table if they call your bluff.

Never tell them how much you make currently. And if they ask just lie and add 25k on top. They don't and can't really verify your current salary. Honestly I don't really have to negotiate base salary much anymore cause I tell them upfront what I'm looking for and the minimum I would accept before the interview and tell them to make me an offer above that. Really the only things I negotiate now are stock/ RSU's and annual bonus %.
The job market is so screwed up now and only getting worse. You can have two positions with the same exact job title but wildly different job duties and responsibilities depending on the company. If you aren't careful you could be doing the job of three people but getting paid for one.

I had a job like that once where I negotiated a decent salary or so I thought. Only to find out that it took two people to actually do my role. All the while I was killing myself to handle the current workload. No wonder they didn't balk at what I thought was a higher salary demand. Because they we're still getting over and paying for one employee instead of two now.

And here I was thinking I was replacing some guy who was a work horse. When he had another counterpart in a different country taking care of half the workload. These companies are freaking scum and that's why I don't hesitate to screw them over.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I would assume black people are paid less on average in every industry save for sports
That's a systemic thing we need to address but in the case of tech we talking somebody making $175k vs $185k.....so most will take it
More like 120k vs 185k but that's why knowing your worth in being confident in yourself are so important for us. So many employers will act like they are doing you a favor when it comes to a job. Unless you are paying me to sit in a chair, take that shyt elsewhere.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
More like 120k vs 185k but that's why knowing your worth in being confident in yourself are so important for us. So many employers will act like they are doing you a favor when it comes to a job. Unless you are paying me to sit in a chair, take that shyt elsewhere.

I have no doubt I was underpaid at two jobs in particular , but I actually negotiated for both :mjcry:.....just had no idea where to start because I didn't know any one else in tech I could really talk to beforehand and coworkers usually be vague as shyt when you try to talk about money
Not sure if you in tech but there is a site that opened my eyes to how much people were getting paid : Levels.fyi | Salaries & Tools to Level Up Your Career
Last go round I straight up told a couple companies nah no thanks when they tried to act like xyz was the most money they could offer.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The issue is , black people most likely won't negotiate cuz they'd be lucky to even get a job interview, let alone get the actual job. We're in no position to negotiate shyt.

Thats rookie mistakes though..

If you still doing this with 10 years in the game, thats when you're losing..