Tech Industry Lies: "tHeReS sO mUcH mONey iN tECh. TeCH bReHs eATin GooD"

Daps
The money thing makes sense in a way.

The "average" black person grows up with less wealth than the "average" white person. If your parents were working class, working 2-3 jobs and then you graduate college and get an offer for $120k/year...you're taking that shyt.

The white kid grew up with parents that also had to negotiate salaries and his sense of entitlement helps him negotiating. He figures that whatever the initial offer is, he can ask for 10% more, 20% more...knowing there's a decent chance he'll get it. To him, making $135k/year is a nice start. He's trying to catch up to his parents and his older siblings. The black kid making $120k is already making more than both his parents combined at their peak earnings.

It's all perspective. Some of it is just flat out racism but a lot of it is....if we can grow up in the hood and be broke all our lives, $120k sounds like a lot of money...damn near life changing. For the white kid, his standard of living might actually drop a little bit until he gets that next big raise.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I saw that other thread..that nikka is a broke loser....he might need to go to the doctors to check for low T...only explanation for the beta bytch posts he posts...cant satisfy a woman, hates living on his own, stays with the stereotypes when he knows very little of the industry he couldnt cut it in... broke idiot babble

Why you so mad if you making so much money? :umad:

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If mfs listen to you nikkas the black community would continue in shambles. Got brehs wasting their time learning a bunch of tech jargon only to find out they can't even get their foot in the door. fukk all that

So you are saying they should listen to you? I've mentored and helped numerous men and a couple women into engineering roles.

Tech is hard but we can't make any change by being negative.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Same issue women have, and it's why when their wage gap issues come up, it's so easy for people to easily dismiss it.

Of course they're asking for less, because over the years it's been shown and known that they were going to GET less. You only have to discriminate against people for so long until they essentially start doing the discriminating for you.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
I am in the field, and the worst thing you can do for yourself is not negotiate your salary and take the first offer. I have worked with people making 10-30k less than me doing the same job, but did not take the risk of saying no.
I'm in this industry and I work with a white dude who told me his salary, on his own, who is making 45k less than me. No lie. He was dumb enough to give a hard number for his salary when asked and didn't do any research on what he SHOULD BE getting paid. They have no problem shortchanging your ass if you allow them. When you're desperate for a job, it's hard to say no so I understand, but you can't be afraid to say no and make sure you're paid your worth.

I quickly redirected the conversation to another topic to prevent him from even thinking about asking me my salary. :mjlol: Like I didn't tell your ass to tell me your salary and I'm damn sure not going to tell you mine because you're going to feel some sort of way about the black dude making way more than you.

Not saying this to diminish this topic but I know for a fact I make a good salary that matches my skill level and I'm doing better than some of my non-black coworkers. I also got a higher title for my experience level compared to some folks there because I applied to the position, and they felt good enough from the interview to bring me on at that level. To that latter one, I can sense some subtle jealousness and disdain from at least one white coworker about this. They get BIG MAD if they find out a black dude is doing better than them.

But all this is dependent on where you go to work, the environment, etc. For example, I'm sure if I tried to go work at google or Facebook, they would definitely shortchange my ass or pay me way less if I allow them because, unfortunately, they are big enough to afford to be on some racist bullshyt as long as they hide it well enough to avoid legal trouble. Everyone and their grandmother want to work there so no doubt they don't have a shortage of candidates that provide them the leeway to practice cliquish racist games which almost always tries to put black people on the outs. The only advice to black folks is that there is plenty of these jobs outside of Silicon Valley and other tech hubs like Austin, with reasonable cost of living and good money. FAANG/MANGA companies aren't the only game in townand you are probably more likely to find more diverse workforces away from those areas as well which will just make you happier.

In the end when it comes to pay, you have to advocate for yourself. Black folks have a high threshold for entry due to racism and so we feel more pressure not to rock to boat and advocate strongly for ourselves and as a result, these companies realize this and come in thinking that this is acceptable, and it becomes a vicious cycle. You have to let your nuts hang and make these people view you as valuable. No one will advocate for you better than yourself.

Last edited:

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
So you are saying they should listen to you? I've mentored and helped numerous men and a couple women into engineering roles.

Tech is hard but we can't make any change by being negative.

I just want people to be completely aware of the uphill battle they're getting into and to stop being sold lies by these "6 cert" brehs

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
OP is right, there is so many Black brehs in the industry that will tell you the good stuff about tech but not the bad. It's a constant battle of learning and trying to stay sane dealing micro-aggressions.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
OP is right, there is so many Black brehs in the industry that will tell you the good stuff about tech but not the bad. It's a constant battle of learning and trying to stay sane dealing micro-aggressions.

That's honestly with nikkas in general. Whether it's tech, health, scamming, whatever. If there's a lot of money being made in that industry, nikkas will act like they the top earners and make it seem like they're living the good life. It's why I can't listen to brehs anymore.