Tech Industry Lies: "tHeReS sO mUcH mONey iN tECh. TeCH bReHs eATin GooD"

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I remember going to a bar with some people from my department and one of the guys (a white guy) got drunk and bragged that he told the hiring manager he would not take less than 80k. Everyone at the table got quiet because the lowest paid person besides him was getting 100k. After that he left soon after.

Oh shyt a very very similar thing happened at my wife's job pre-covid:dead:

They were all getting upset at management and one cac goes "This job is not worth 95k at all"
And this one girl was like "You make 95k? We're the same level and I make 60k :damn:"

She said everyone just went back to work and didn't say shyt... ole girl was looking at them all like :dahell:

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Negotiation has never worked for me because it's still not normally enough to close the gap between white co-workers. They give you a raise and then turn around and give them an even bigger raise than what you got.

Job hopping is the only thing I've found that really narrows the wage gap.
If you are not in a really good job to stay for longer than two years, you should move around. Not just for money but also exposure to new technologies as well.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Negotiation has never worked for me because it's still not normally enough to close the gap between white co-workers. They give you a raise and then turn around and give them an even bigger raise than what you got.

With the increase of moving positions offshore, this is really becoming the way to be paid what you are worth.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I understand where you coming from breh, but that's a mentality that will basically guarantee you will be underpaid for the rest of professional career. :francis:

Companies invest time in hiring people because they need a headcount. And when a manager finds a prospect that he really wants, he will push HR/Skip Levels to get you on board. Your manager usually doesn't decide the salary for the req.

The worst that can happen is that they say no.

But considering it might've took that breh or brehette 200+ applications to even get that callback and interview makes it even harder to say no. Also considering the hours spent studying and getting your certs, degree and skills up. It's a whole lot to lose.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
This is honestly what i do. Eventually I'll stop, but sometimes the best raise you can get is to go somewhere else :yeshrug:
Not only raises but career mobility. It is more realistic to reach the career goal you want by going to places hiring for that type of job, versus waiting to possibly get promoted at the same job.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But considering it might've took that breh or brehette 200+ applications to even get that callback and interview makes it even harder to say no. Also considering the hours spent studying and getting your certs, degree and skills up. It's a whole lot to lose.

I'm sensitive to this, i really am. Its obviously much easier to negotiate when you currently have a job vs looking to be employed with bills stacking up.

How about this comprimise?

You take that first job at the pay that is clearly below what you're worth. But then, a year later, instead of waiting until you quit, you actually start looking while being employed. Now you have an extra year under your belt, and you aren't negotiating from a place of need but rather a position of strength.

This way you're not always feeling like "I NEED THIS JOB NO MATTER WHAT!"

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
So then you get your foot in, and be looking to jump ship asap. The days of being loyal to a company are over. A company will drop you in a heart beat, so you should feel the same way.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
What i would recommend to people having issues getting in as an employee somewhere is to get in with a contracting company and grind. From all of the experience you gain and resume info you can increase your chances with applications. But even more so is having a company you are contracted out to bringing you in internally, since they already know your work.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Oh shyt a very very similar thing happened at my wife's job pre-covid:dead:

They were all getting upset at management and one cac goes "This job is not worth 95k at all"
And this one girl was like "You make 95k? We're the same level and I make 60k :damn:"

She said everyone just went back to work and didn't say shyt... ole girl was looking at them all like :dahell:
:picard:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The salary gap is a separate issue from “eating good”. There is an inherent bias against black people, so in most cases we aren’t going to get an equivalent salary to a white person, but doesn’t mean you can’t make a decent salary.

Do your research, access your budget and financial goals, decide on figure where you can be comfortable and start there in your negotiations.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
And also you can not only negotiate for money. I got an extra week of vacation including the extra pay i wanted. I slipped up and told someone about the extra vacation and they were about to flip out.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

But an unstable job history by not having a track record with an employer for a decent period of time, can also devalue your potential. I agree though, get paid what you are worth especially if you have an In demand specialty occupation or specialize in a niche that will benefit the company.