Tech Industry Lies: "tHeReS sO mUcH mONey iN tECh. TeCH bReHs eATin GooD"

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
But an unstable job history by not having a track record with an employer for a decent period of time, can also devalue your potential.
Not really in the tech field. It is very common as a contractor to have 1-6 month contracts, or even less. Once you get whatever project they needed to be completed done, it is time to move on to the next one.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
The salary gap is a separate issue from “eating good”. There is an inherent bias against black people, so in most cases we aren’t going to get an equivalent salary to a white person, but doesn’t mean you can’t make a decent salary.

Do your research, access your budget and financial goals, decide on figure where you can be comfortable and start there in your negotiations.

sweetheart you're wasting this advice on the wrong person..OP has an agenda and a fukked up outlook on the industry

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But an unstable job history by not having a track record with an employer for a decent period of time, can also devalue your potential. I agree though, get paid what you are worth especially if you have an In demand specialty occupation or specialize in a niche that will benefit the company.
Normally that works against you in every other field except Information Technology. Companies claim they punish job hoppers but if you have a experience in a specific technology that's hard to find they'll overlook job hopping. Most companies I've found would rather poach IT employees than pay thousands of dollars to train their own on some new technology. I get asked why I left my last employer after such a short stint all the time. And I give the same boiler plate answers you can find online. The Hiring Manager usually shrugs and makes me an offer anyway.

I work in Cybersecurity so it maybe different for other IT Disciplines. Since the hack of the company Solarwinds on Sunday was announced. I've already had 2 Recruiters hit me up for jobs on LinkedIn. They can see that I've only been at my current employer less than a year but don't care.
:francis:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Not really in the tech field. It is very common as a contractor to have 1-6 month contracts, or even less. Once you get whatever project they needed to be completed done, it is time to move on to the next one.
I’m in Tech but I hear you. Not saying you’re wrong at all. I work more on the Data Analysts side; earned certifications while on the job so my experience may be different than yours. For what we do, they want people to actually make a commitment for x number of years. I had no intention of going into IT- my job morphed into that based on technology advances within law, and the nature of legal work both in the Dept and the legal field. Networking, programming, cybersecurity, data science, systems analyst etc. - if you’re on that side you can basically go where you want, like you said, it’s not so much dictated by job function within a particular company/firm.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
You gotta negotiate. Not saying they're not underpaying black folks, but I know a lot don't counteroffer when we are made an initial job offer. Most of these companies expect you to counteroffer. Most companies have a payband that they can pay for the role, and usually pitch people 25-40% of what the max of the payband is. When I apply for roles I hit up Glassdoor and Indeed for what the role pays at most companies. I tend to try and go for 50-60% of the payband. You'll never get 100%, because that's typically the max a company is willing to pay after many years of raises.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Normally that works against you in every other field except Information Technology. Companies claim they punish job hoppers but if you have a experience in a specific technology that's hard to find they'll overlook job hopping. Most companies I've found would rather poach IT employees than pay thousands of dollars to train their own on some new technology. I get asked why I left my last employer after such a short stint all the time. And I give the same boiler plate answers you can find online. The Hiring Manager usually shrugs and makes me an offer anyway.

I work in Cybersecurity so it maybe different for other IT Disciplines. Since the hack of the company Solarwinds on Sunday was announced. I've already had 2 Recruiters hit me up for jobs on LinkedIn. They can see that I've only been at my current employer less than a year but don't care.
:francis:
Right. We must have posted at the same time bc I just replied to that poster above you ^^^ with an explanation. Definitely in that aspect of tech as far as disciplines both you and @num123 have more viable options than someone like me who has more of a focused concentration; in terms of flexibility and marketability. I would have to go work on another certification in order to level up and become more competitive, otherwise I will only be making lateral moves. Seems like in data analysis/risk management as soon as I feel like I’ve mastered the concepts - there’s another update that needs to be learned for us to build on what we have previously learned. Stackable skills based on database upgrades, implementation, roll outs etc. For at least the last 7 months of this year - it’s been nothing but training and more training classes bc of this remote environment. But yes, you definitely have that competitive advantage.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Right. We must have posted at the same time bc I just replied to that poster above you ^^^ with an explanation. Definitely in that aspect of tech as far as disciplines both you and @num123 have more viable options than someone like me who has more of a focused concentration; in terms of flexibility and marketability. I would have to go work on another certification in order to level up and become more competitive, otherwise I will only be making lateral moves. Seems like in data analysis/risk management as soon as I feel like I’ve mastered the concepts - there’s another update that needs to be learned. For at least the last 7 months of this year - it’s been nothing but training and more training classes bc of this remote environment.
With Networking you need to always update your knowledge because that is how people get phased out of the field quick. Now i do not have to train all of the time, but i need to be current for sure.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I am in the field, and the worst thing you can do for yourself is not negotiate your salary and take the first offer. I have worked with people making 10-30k less than me doing the same job, but did not take the risk of saying no.
I'm bout to ask thecoli before I take new IT jobs

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
There is a pay gap for black people in virtually every industry. Water is wet breh

So because of a gap, getting paid $150K is not good because there is a gap? :dahell:
Nah. Tech is notorious for unequal pay distribution. Like if you’re making $95k and your coworker is making $150k both of you have the same skill set and experience- that’s definitely going to hit different. Yes, on the outside looking in; 95k is a decent salary that’s not the argument but in terms of career projection; that is a problem. If you’re underpaid or below market, that can follow you - sets the stage for employers to take advantage of you and it can be seen as a lack of initiative. You have to stand up for yourself - measuring the risks and rewards.