Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But that's not true.

The cut-throatness you are talking about is at the upper level. The layoffs aren't hitting entry level workers as severely as they are hitting experienced workers. And there's still huge levels of demand for talent.

Example: cybersecurity. SOC analyst roles are multiplying in volume as more companies become cyber savvy. Those don't need experience to get in the door as long as you've done some level of research and training.

Another example: data analyst roles.

To be fair, there are some fields that are hurting within tech (not long term, just blips): Data Science for example.

Saying "tech is harder to get into" is too broad of a brush without being more specific about what fields within tech are more hard to get into. And it is industry/sector dependent. Core tech? Hurting. Healthcare? Can't get enough talent. Logistics? Same thing. Find a place that needs talent, get in, and start building your experience.
These entry level SOC Analyst jobs are being outsourced overseas. The cybersecurity job market is trash right now. Worse I've seen and I've been in the field for close to a decade.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
Definitely not the best time to jump into tech but some of you just have bad resumes and are blaming the market.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Companies are using this climate to take a chainsaw to all of the 'overhiring' they did. This isn't the end. It's just the start. I tried to tell people about this industry. If you love coding or dealing with tech and you can't see yourself going anywhere else or doing anything else and you get really good, sure, it may be worth it. However, this is an UNSTABLE industry, and with how over saturated it has become, it's extremely competitive for the roles that are available. There is also a ton of competition from outsourcing now. India used to be a huge hotspot and still is, but you now have Latin America, which eliminates the time-zone barrier.

Everything is cyclical though, so the saturation mixed with the down-swing makes things VERY tough right now.

This. Keep in mind a lot of leaders in tech are young nerds with limited business acumen. It sometimes you have a sales guy with limited tech knowledge making key decisions. Some decisions are so obviously bad but thry are never OK with decent growth. It always has to be mega growth on half baked, poorly vetted ideas.

As I’ve been saying…I’m older now…I need more stable employment. Every year or so you’re pivoting. Nah. Lemme work at a bank, boring but stable. Or the government.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Definitely not the best time to jump into tech but some of you just have bad resumes and are blaming the market.

You can have a great resume, but if 1000 ppl are applying to the same job you will be lucky if your resume is even looked at. Competition helps the employer, not the job seeker.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s simple logic. We are seeing wholesale layoffs. Over 200k cuts since last year. Hiring has been drastically reduced and we are just in the 3rd inning. We went from less than 10 applicants per job to 100s and you think tech is easy to get into with no experience? The dude we are talking about said he has no tech experience. Why would he have a better shot? The market has changed a lot. Hiring freezes galore.
Yep. The only headcount increases at companies are from overseas or for short term contracts. It doesn't matter that overseas workers barely have any technical experience. They're much cheaper and don't think for themselves.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
You can have a great resume, but if 1000 ppl are applying to the same job you will be lucky if your resume is even looked at. Competition helps the employer, not the job seeker.

90% of my coworkers that got laid off found really good roles at other Fortune 500s within months.

Is it tougher out here? Absolutely but you'd think the job market is 0 the way some of you talk in here.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
This. Keep in mind a lot of leaders in tech are young nerds with limited business acumen. It sometimes you have a sales guy with limited tech knowledge making key decisions. Some decisions are so obviously bad but thry are never OK with decent growth. It always has to be mega growth on half baked, poorly vetted ideas.

As I’ve been saying…I’m older now…I need more stable employment. Every year or so you’re pivoting. Nah. Lemme work at a bank, boring but stable. Or the government.

A lot of tech people wash out of the industry after a while because they can't deal with the learning and skills treadmill. This IS an industry that you can make a lot of money quickly and you can get in without a degree, but in lieu of a degree, you have to come in with a ton of skills. It's not for the faint of heart. I used to recommend to my friends to come in, but now I don't know if I would unless I saw they absolutely loved tech and coding.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
90% of my coworkers that got laid off found really good roles at other Fortune 500s within months.

Is it tougher out here? Absolutely but you'd think the job market is 0 the way some of you talk in here.

How long ago was that? Different climate now. Not saying ppl can’t find jobs, but it’s simple logic, the more candidates there are, the tougher it is for ppl to land jobs. Employers also don’t need to sweeten the pot…offer lower pay, they get pickier.

Someone with no tech background will have a tough time. Why take a chance on an unknown when there are plenty of qualified candidates to pick from?

The best time to come in as an unknown was 18 months ago.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A lot of tech people wash out of the industry after a while because they can't deal with the learning and skills treadmill. This IS an industry that you can make a lot of money quickly and you can get in without a degree, but in lieu of a degree, you have to come in with a ton of skills. It's not for the faint of heart. I used to recommend to my friends to come in, but now I don't know if I would unless I saw they absolutely loved tech and coding.
Yep. Not for the faint of heart at all. I’m getting tired of it after 15+ years.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
These entry level SOC Analyst jobs are being outsourced overseas. The cybersecurity job market is trash right now. Worse I've seen and I've been in the field for close to a decade.

And companies are realizing that outsourcing companies do trash work :mjlol:. Some cybersecurity roles can't be outsourced, especially in aerospace/defense.

It’s simple logic. We are seeing wholesale layoffs. Over 200k cuts since last year. Hiring has been drastically reduced and we are just in the 3rd inning. We went from less than 10 applicants per job to 100s and you think tech is easy to get into with no experience? The dude we are talking about said he has no tech experience. Why would he have a better shot? The market has changed a lot. Hiring freezes galore.

Because you are looking at numbers without context.

The tech industry (that's Silicon Valley, Big Tech, tech specific companies) is still adding jobs. Only at a slower rate.

That article is recent.

And that's not considering tech jobs in other industries.

Give over, you're just fearmongering like others in this thread. No one is saying entering tech is easy with no experience. It never was, you had, and have to do the work. But even still, for entry level jobs, you're not competing against someone who was laid off with 10 years of experience. That made and makes no sense.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

A lot of the talk in here is anecdote based. Guy you quoted is jaded in tech, which is fine, but don't extrapolate that to shyt on the highest potential sector in America.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
How long ago was that? Different climate now. Not saying ppl can’t find jobs, but it’s simple logic, the more candidates there are, the tougher it is for ppl to land jobs. Employers also don’t need to sweeten the pot…offer lower pay, they get pickier.

Someone with no tech background will have a tough time. Why take a chance on an unknown when there are plenty of qualified candidates to pick from?

The best time to come in as an unknown was 18 months ago.

I've had coworkers leave as recently as a month ago. Some are even leveling up in role/title at other top organizations. Granted the place I am at now, the name holds weight.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've had coworkers leave as recently as a month ago. Some are even leveling up in role/title at other top organizations. Granted the place I am at now, the name holds weight.

I’m sure your coworkers have experience rhough.