Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Thanks! Part of me is fine with being laid off. I work in the ads space, and I'll just say it's not a fun job. The pay is good, but I have liked previous non-ad jobs much better.
If it’s Amazon good luck. I had an offer letter that would’ve made me $42k more per year than I was already at but I turned them down because I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. THE ENTIRE team I was going to work for got fkn obliterated :wow:
55 peoples jobs evaporated with no reassignments.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
She's getting four plus months of pay and six months of healthcare. The problem is the tech industry is in a hiring freeze for non engineering role.
She started an advice podcast on Spotify hoping to hit big. Unfortunately her bragging ass will be fine, I’m sure all kinds of recruiters try to slide in her dm’s

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
She started an advice podcast on Spotify hoping to hit big. Unfortunately her bragging ass will be fine, I’m sure all kinds of recruiters try to slide in her dm’s
That chicks background is impressive :ohhh:

We gotta looking at her like a punchline when she's been hustling.....

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
My pops was warning me about this kinda thing
Screenshot-20230315-234149-Linked-In.jpg

:why:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's a great field to go into, because nearly every industry needs tech talent.

Figure out what your strengths are, and how close you want to be to the technical details.

And finally you just got to get your foot in the door somewhere and build experience.

Don't chase trends. Tech stacks come and go. It's all about solving problems and bringing value. Master those and you'll be fine.
Tech is OK, just not Tech companies. There are less jobs out there, much more competition and if you don’t have experience good luck.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Let me guess... Trucking is great in comparison?
I work in Tech and have been for a very long time. So it’s not hate, just the reality. That’s why you have to keep improving in your skills and keep your eyes open. This ain’t the banking industry where people last 25 years at the same company. shyt is cutthroat and the employees who act like free agents are ahead of the curve.

But to get into tech right now, harder to get a job with no experience….assuming it’s a tech role.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I work in Tech and have been for a very long time. So it’s not hate, just the reality. That’s why you have to keep improving in your skills and keep your eyes open. This ain’t the banking industry where people last 25 years at the same company. shyt is cutthroat and the employees who act like free agents are ahead of the curve.

But to get into tech right now, harder to get a job with no experience….assuming it’s a tech role.

But that's not true.

The cut-throatness you are talking about is at the upper level. The layoffs aren't hitting entry level workers as severely as they are hitting experienced workers. And there's still huge levels of demand for talent.

Example: cybersecurity. SOC analyst roles are multiplying in volume as more companies become cyber savvy. Those don't need experience to get in the door as long as you've done some level of research and training.

Another example: data analyst roles.

To be fair, there are some fields that are hurting within tech (not long term, just blips): Data Science for example.

Saying "tech is harder to get into" is too broad of a brush without being more specific about what fields within tech are more hard to get into. And it is industry/sector dependent. Core tech? Hurting. Healthcare? Can't get enough talent. Logistics? Same thing. Find a place that needs talent, get in, and start building your experience.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But that's not true.

The cut-throatness you are talking about is at the upper level. The layoffs aren't hitting entry level workers as severely as they are hitting experienced workers. And there's still huge levels of demand for talent.

Example: cybersecurity. SOC analyst roles are multiplying in volume as more companies become cyber savvy. Those don't need experience to get in the door as long as you've done some level of research and training.

Another example: data analyst roles.

To be fair, there are some fields that are hurting within tech (not long term, just blips): Data Science for example.

Saying "tech is harder to get into" is too broad of a brush without being more specific about what fields within tech are more hard to get into. And it is industry/sector dependent. Core tech? Hurting. Healthcare? Can't get enough talent. Logistics? Same thing. Find a place that needs talent, get in, and start building your experience.

It’s simple logic. We are seeing wholesale layoffs. Over 200k cuts since last year. Hiring has been drastically reduced and we are just in the 3rd inning. We went from less than 10 applicants per job to 100s and you think tech is easy to get into with no experience? The dude we are talking about said he has no tech experience. Why would he have a better shot? The market has changed a lot. Hiring freezes galore.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Companies are using this climate to take a chainsaw to all of the 'overhiring' they did. This isn't the end. It's just the start. I tried to tell people about this industry. If you love coding or dealing with tech and you can't see yourself going anywhere else or doing anything else and you get really good, sure, it may be worth it. However, this is an UNSTABLE industry, and with how over saturated it has become, it's extremely competitive for the roles that are available. There is also a ton of competition from outsourcing now. India used to be a huge hotspot and still is, but you now have Latin America, which eliminates the time-zone barrier.

Everything is cyclical though, so the saturation mixed with the down-swing makes things VERY tough right now.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Companies are using this climate to take a chainsaw to all of the 'overhiring' they did. This isn't the end. It's just the start. I tried to tell people about this industry. If you love coding or dealing with tech and you can't see yourself going anywhere else or doing anything else and you get really good, sure, it may be worth it. However, this is an UNSTABLE industry, and with how over saturated it has become, it's extremely competitive for the roles that are available. There is also a ton of competition from outsourcing now. India used to be a huge hotspot and still is, but you now have Latin America, which eliminates the time-zone barrier.

Everything is cyclical though, so the saturation mixed with the down-swing makes things VERY tough right now.
We hire a ton from latam specifically Colombia. They’re more expensive than India but typically much better.