Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
90% of my coworkers that got laid off found really good roles at other Fortune 500s within months.

Is it tougher out here? Absolutely but you'd think the job market is 0 the way some of you talk in here.
I think this goes back to the original comment that tech is still a good field but the 'tech companies ' right now not so much.

Overall I think it's better to help educate newcomers and properly set expectations than to just tell people avoid tech altogether. This is still one of the most lucrative industries you can do for a career

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
Bullshyt story. Are we supposed to be sad fired tech workers cant get a job a day or even a month after being let go?

A bunch of people were let go at the same time, there is going to be competition for what is out there, and like someone else said, if they were going for lower level or lower paying jobs they would be better off.

"Oh my god, i used to make 180k and the only jobs out there right now are offering 130-140k, how can i survive off of that?"
Maybe they should learn to code.

Daps
This. Keep in mind a lot of leaders in tech are young nerds with limited business acumen. It sometimes you have a sales guy with limited tech knowledge making key decisions. Some decisions are so obviously bad but thry are never OK with decent growth. It always has to be mega growth on half baked, poorly vetted ideas.

As I’ve been saying…I’m older now…I need more stable employment. Every year or so you’re pivoting. Nah. Lemme work at a bank, boring but stable. Or the government.
Damn that's a good point and a MAJOR hole in some tech firms.

Being a computer whiz doesn't equate to understanding market trends, finance etc.

Being a great salesperson/big picture guy often means you're not proficient at the I/O game. Someone that has the slick talk of a salesman with the tech knowledge to back it up is damn near a unicorn. Does the nerd have the wisdom to acknowledge his own shortcomings? Does the MBA even know he HAS shortcomings?

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

Companies continue to be scumbags.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Lol at people thinking entry level cyber positions are not targets for layoffs. When you have mass layoffs. Experienced people will apply for less experienced positions just to get a job. Couple that with thousands of people entering the market every few weeks :francis: But what do I know…:heh:

Van Cleef

All Star
Daps
Lol at people thinking entry level cyber positions are not targets for layoffs. When you have mass layoffs. Experienced people will apply for less experienced positions just to get a job. Couple that with thousands of people entering the market every few weeks :francis: But what do I know…:heh:
aint no experienced person trying to work some low 6 figure entry job... yall just be typing whatever

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I tried to tell him. Folk either too young or don’t remember what the market looks like in a recession. Overqualified ppl taking just about any job just to pay the bills. Which means more competition and harder for the less qualified people. Even in the entry level jobs. Employers become dikks and take advantage asking for higher criteria.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Companies continue to be scumbags.

Told y’all when these companies were crying about not being able to find workers to exploit. This is the shyt that causes quiet quitting.p and all the other garbage employers were peddling. When times are less than great employers show their true selves.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I tried to tell him. Folk either too young or don’t remember what the market looks like in a recession. Overqualified ppl taking just about any job just to pay the bills. Which means more competition and harder for the less qualified people. Even in the entry level jobs. Employers become dikks and take advantage asking for higher criteria.

Unlike 2008, this recession is really about Gen Z not taking the bait to be exploited and baby boomers are retiring due to many of them being over 70+. ITs interesting to see how people are not going to fall for the trap that they fell into back in 08 and moving smarter.