Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Thanks! Part of me is fine with being laid off. I work in the ads space, and I'll just say it's not a fun job. The pay is good, but I have liked previous non-ad jobs much better.
A director offered me a job in advertising tech as an engineering Sr Manager.

What do you think of the field?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
A director offered me a job in advertising tech as an engineering Sr Manager.

What do you think of the field?
That would actually be a good job for an engineer. There's a lot of technical stuff going on in the backend with ads that would probably be rewarding. I'm a UX researcher, so my job is to talk to people about ads to try and figure out how to make them click on them more. People don't like ads, so it's a difficult job. shyt, I don't like ads either; very few people do. Having to do 1 hour conversations with users about ads is difficult. As an engineer you wouldn't have to deal with any of that. Plus as a EM, you would be more into mentoring and helping the other engineers.

It's very performance based as well, which some people like.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
the issue is these folks lack vision + the use cases where MEtaverse would be impactful the underlying infrastructure isn't where it needs to be [yet], thus in economic times like this companies rather do more with less than shoot for the stars.

most of the bullshyt they pushing for the metaverse was gaming + teams meetings lol. The same way when 5G first came out all the marketing was for gaming and streaming when the real impact of 5G is industrial/IOT/Automous Vehicles due to the low latency + low power consumption, but that doesn't sound "sexy"
They should just sell it to the military for training and let the consumer uses fall where they may.

No one is asking for this.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
They should just sell it to the military for training and let the consumer uses fall where they may.

No one is asking for this.
Zuck is under the impression that it’s the next computing platform, at least according to his interviews. PCs to Smartphones to augmented reality/metaverse. The thing is nobody wants to wear a headset for multiple hours a day to do their work. If they can somehow place it all in a pair of normal sized glasses, then maybe. But shyt like the Quest Pro is not it. Plus, Apple could do it better. It’s a big risk

kt773

All Star
Daps
Reppin
chi town southside wild 100's
Hey y’all I’m getting out of teaching , tired of teaching kids in Chicago lbvs, looking to go into tech, I’m 37 and I have no experience, but definitely interested in going back to school, or go for some certifications, any advice coli fam? Is this a good field to go in? Let me know

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Hey y’all I’m getting out of teaching , tired of teaching kids in Chicago lbvs, looking to go into tech, I’m 37 and I have no experience, but definitely interested in going back to school, or go for some certifications, any advice coli fam? Is this a good field to go in? Let me know

E learning & curriculum Dev would probably be your best way in. Stay with the company long enough and you can pivot business ops.

You trying to code breh and go into tech tech?

kt773

All Star
Daps
Reppin
chi town southside wild 100's
E learning & curriculum Dev would probably be your best way in. Stay with the company long enough and you can pivot business ops.

You trying to code breh and go into tech tech?
Yes, definitely want to learn how to code , I want to want to start a non profit and teach inner city kids how to code and the benefits of tech jobs , and to also work lol

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Not even gonna lie bro, this is about the worst time you could possibly be in to get into the field. Competition is at it's apex. If you're not trying to drop the bread to get into a high end boot camp like this Accredited Online Computer Programming & Coding School - Turing School it's gonna be hell getting in.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

It's a great field to go into, because nearly every industry needs tech talent.

Figure out what your strengths are, and how close you want to be to the technical details.

And finally you just got to get your foot in the door somewhere and build experience.

Don't chase trends. Tech stacks come and go. It's all about solving problems and bringing value. Master those and you'll be fine.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Yes, definitely want to learn how to code , I want to want to start a non profit and teach inner city kids how to code and the benefits of tech jobs , and to also work lol

Salute breh,

From what I’ve seen it’s harder for older brehs to get entry - mid level jobs and like @Chillin said competition is high. They don’t fukk around with those code tests.

I’d look at non coding roles and try to have the company train you up. From what I’ve seen there’s a lot of opportunity to code in these elearning systems. Leverage ya old degree to get where you wanna be.

Last edited: