Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My homie is a software engineer and he's been on it since graduating from college wayyyy back ('07).

Works at each spot for 2 years or so and then moves on to a new gig where he can apply what he's learned while also picking up new knowledge. Seeing what everyone is saying on here makes a lot more sense now.

Tech reminds me of medicine in that the $$$$$ attracts a lot of people but you have to actually enjoy the career path and be willing to continuously learn in order to succeed.
Tech is not where you basically do your job and coast. If you’re not learning, gaining new skills you will get left behind quickly. You have to enjoy that in order to succeed.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
I knew the media was lying about all these laid off techies easily getting jobs. If that was the case way more would've quit Twitter rather than deal with Musk.

Nobody trying to take a pay cut. Going to get interesting if we go into a recession.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I knew the media was lying about all these laid off techies easily getting jobs. If that was the case way more would've quit Twitter rather than deal with Musk.

we are getting a lot of janky information period.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Nobody trying to take a pay cut. Going to get interesting if we go into a recession.
Funny thing about that is the jobs are practically their's if they take a pay cut.

Right now, people don't want to hire juniors, they want to hire cheap seniors if they can.

That said, some of these junior salaries are insane anyways and far from "cheap". Cats who got laid off making $240k can take that $160k job, then search for another job and jump to something else while working. $14k/month is still better than $0/month.

What this points to to me is that I think some of those senior engineers lived above their means.

Last edited:

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago

Bullshyt story. Are we supposed to be sad fired tech workers cant get a job a day or even a month after being let go?

A bunch of people were let go at the same time, there is going to be competition for what is out there, and like someone else said, if they were going for lower level or lower paying jobs they would be better off.

"Oh my god, i used to make 180k and the only jobs out there right now are offering 130-140k, how can i survive off of that?"

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
Bullshyt story. Are we supposed to be sad fired tech workers cant get a job a day or even a month after being let go?

A bunch of people were let go at the same time, there is going to be competition for what is out there, and like someone else said, if they were going for lower level or lower paying jobs they would be better off.

"Oh my god, i used to make 180k and the only jobs out there right now are offering 130-140k, how can i survive off of that?"

If you have a mortgage, car note, other expenses then 20% is a big pay cut.

I don't feel bad for them but I can understand their view of the market.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
If you have a mortgage, car note, other expenses then 20% is a big pay cut.

I don't feel bad for them but I can understand their view of the market.
If you are living at your means or above it, that is your fault. You should budget so that you can take hits like this. No job is ever secure enough to make long term decisions based upon what you are making at the moment.

This is why you have these studies where people making 100k+ are talking about living check to check. If i lost my job today i would be good for months and most likely over a year if i cut back on spending. People are too comfortable out here living on the edge financially.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you are living at your means or above it, that is your fault. You should budget so that you can take hits like this. No job is ever secure enough to make long term decisions based upon what you are making at the moment.

This is why you have these studies where people making 100k+ are talking about living check to check. If i lost my job today i would be good for months and most likely over a year if i cut back on spending. People are too comfortable out here living on the edge financially.

The more you make the more you spend. Even if you’re trying to be frugal.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
The more you make the more you spend. Even if you’re trying to be frugal.
What? You mean the more money some people make they think they need to spend more. That is the problem with Americans, there is little to no desire to save money for short or long term issues.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What? You mean the more money some people make they think they need to spend more. That is the problem with Americans, there is little to no desire to save money for short or long term issues.

As you make more money, your time becomes more valuable. Things you wouldn’t spend money on when you made 50k you are more likely to throw some money at when you make 150k if it means you are freed up to do something else.