Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Big game here and something to keep an eye on:

May be an indicator that Leetcode-centric interviews may be taking a backseat to Open Source contributions and connections made through working with other people for getting jobs at big tech. Basically real engineering.

If you're grinding Leetcode, I won't say to stop doing so but maybe wait and see if this changes the meta as many companies look to follow Google. If Leetcode starts getting less and less popular during interviews then it may be time to see what Open Source projects are out there and start hitting up people outside of your work and possibly attend events/network. Really nothing new: if a company is looking for hires and somebody at that company works on the same Open Source project you're working on and you're impressing them on it, best believe you are leapfrogging all types of people on that stack of resumes.

Last edited:

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
v9ao9aW.jpg

its-over-over.gif

Computer Science Majors Will Earn Less This Year After Tech Layoffs​

Starting salaries are projected to drop by 4% for the class of 2023 as companies including Google and Facebook cut costs.

Saw this meme and thought of your post. This meme is still the wave for me though, lol.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Yeah I’ve put my resume out there already and I hopefully am headed towards healthcare or an offshoot of government talent acquisition. :hubie:
Healthcare ain't all it's cracked up to be. Pay is shyt compared to other industries. Health insurance is ironically probably some of the worst around. Everyone is a dikk to deal with between execs and doctors who think the sun rises and sets on their ass. And to top it off, niccas ain't exempt.

My hospital laid off 700 people this past Dec/Jan and now are outsourcing to Accenture. Granted, told them 4-5 months in advance and gave most people severance and time to relocate, but still.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I knew I wasn't trippin every time I came up against an Indian interviewer. Even working with an indian manager was annoying. nikka was p*ssy around his boss, but wanted to be show he's in charge. nikka, run the fukkin project and stop folding to demands. I was ready to choke that nikka. Thank God for the strength of patience. Indian workers are cool tho

Companies would never allow Black people to do the same thin.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
All that butt kissing only to get laid off like everyone else.
:mjlol:

People need to put that kind of dedication to trustworthy leaders with good intentions instead.

No sense going all out for something to dang unstable with unstable leadership. Like someone else said, she set herself up:

I made the decision that my next job is going to be basically the job I really want: stable, high-paying, well-directed, good cause, etc. Some place I can see myself retiring at and that every single job I take from now on will match that criteria, no less. In this day and age, that's critical: you want to be working for a company that's going somewhere and is making good decisions, not companies with shaky leadership, promoting vaporware and no real-world product. That pretty paycheck will turn to zero after they cut you because they aren't making any money. All of us here are extremely knowledgeable, qualified and deserve to be working for good companies. We shouldn't waste our time on BS companies or companies going through a BS period.

Last edited:

RARI_Godwind

St. BAWGustine - DarkSkxxxn
Daps
This is very interesting. Can someone explain to me how this hasn’t been considered a bubble from the start? It’s not like tech industry or coding roles are not something that can ultimately be outsourced and would put us back to square one but it was being talked about as it were salvation as opposed to a gold rush.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is very interesting. Can someone explain to me how this hasn’t been considered a bubble from the start? It’s not like tech industry or coding roles are not something that can ultimately be outsourced and would put us back to square one but it was being talked about as it were salvation as opposed to a gold rush.
It is a gold rush. Gold was made by the tons. And like all resources it is showing signs of depletion.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
People need to put that kind of dedication to trustworthy leaders with good intentions instead.

No sense going all out for something to dang unstable with unstable leadership. Like someone else said, she set herself up:

I made the decision that my next job is going to be basically the job I really want: stable, high-paying, well-directed, good cause, etc. Some place I can see myself retiring at and that every single job I take from now on will match that criteria, no less. In this day and age, that's critical: you want to be working for a company that's going somewhere and is making good decisions, not companies with shaky leadership, promoting vaporware and no real-world product. That pretty paycheck will turn to zero after they cut you because they aren't making any money. All of us here are extremely knowledgeable, qualified and deserve to be working for good companies. We shouldn't waste our time on BS companies or companies going through a BS period.

Dumb bytch :mjlol:

At least she should be heavily recruited and land on her feet quickly. She will get a severance too so she can take some time to weigh her options.

She was considered to be “in Elons trusted inner circle” only to get shown the door like everyone else :dead:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
There are very real start-up software companies, but there is actually a lot of vapor ware out there: companies who ain't building shyt and have no real world product but get funding. They basically want to try and sell their company high.
The end of this video is low key good (a little before 4:40):

Some of the comments/replies:
You'd be surprised. That's all essentially startup 101. It's not about making a long term successful company, it's about making one that looks successful now, selling it and then doing it all over again.
you’re right start up means vc funds give them money for stocks they can later dump for more

Similarly you can read this post and the replies:

There are other industries as well outside of the web like embedded systems, coding needed for medical equipment, vehicles, defense, government, etc. that do real work. Those fields though will probably require more, possibly one or more of: degrees, qualifications, job experience, networking/connections, etc. to land. Not to mention companies who build commercial applications for other companies/businesses like apps for specific data processing, reporting, Saas, etc. There's also specializations like security that need real engineers. At the end of the day there are plenty of real jobs, but unfortunately a whole bunch of bullshyt as well, which is why I said in my last post that if you feel like you are a good employee, you should pick your company carefully.

Last edited:

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Think about the people that made those videos? Usually jobs that were not tech heavy. HR, marketing, etc. I can't remember seeing those videos from Dev/Engineering roles.

Still, these idiots didn't realize if you aint doing shyt, keep it under wraps. Don't broadcast it to the world!

Yeah those guys were on Reddit bragging about automating their work and moonlighting or doing other shyt during working hours. People can't help themselves. It's just a flex at the end of the day; "look at me doing nothing all day and getting paid for it." That's the kind of shyt you keep to yourself.

RARI_Godwind

St. BAWGustine - DarkSkxxxn
Daps
There are very real start-up software companies, but there is actually a lot of vapor ware out there: companies who ain't building shyt and have no real world product but get funding. They basically want to try and sell their company high.
The end of this video is low key good (a little before 4:40):

Some of the comments/replies:

Similarly you can read this post and the replies:

There are other industries as well outside of the web like embedded systems, coding needed for medical equipment, vehicles, defense, government, etc. Those fields though will probably require more, possibly one or more of: degrees, qualifications, job experience, networking/connections, etc. to land. Not to mention companies who build commercial applications for other companies/businesses like apps for specific data processing, reporting, Saas, etc. There's also specializing in security. At the end of the day there are plenty of real jobs, but unfortunately a whole bunch of bullshyt as well, which is why I said in my last post that if you feel like you are a good employee, you should pick your company carefully.

:ohhh:

EVERYTHING IS A SCAMMM!?!!?!???? :damn::damn::damn::damn::damn::damn:
This the final straw for me. Anything people tell me there’s some money in I’m approaching with extreme prejudice! :damn:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation

'Delete your files and leave': New boss fired after making analyst redundant and telling him to delete his "worthless" files, cost company $2.5 million​

:mjlol:

If you don't understand what your new subordinates do, it would be a good idea to seek to understand their work. Jumping to baseless conclusions that their work is worthless just because your skull is three inches thick is a surefire way to land the entire organization in hot water.

Well, true to typical "new boss logic," this boss, "Sally," was too quick to judge when an essential analyst was restructured under her tyrannical reign. She thought she was cunning and smart when she decided to get rid of the analyst and his pesky salary in order to save the company money. When the analyst organized with HR to delete his files and leave on a six-month redundancy package, he put the final nails in what would become Sally's coffin. Once the files were gone, Sally was in hot water, and the lack of necessary analysis would cost the organization $2.5 million in funding.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
🧐
A very eye-opening graphic that shows some of the rationales behind the layoffs we're seeing in the Tech industry. When interviewing or making the decision whether or not to accept an offer, it's important to see how a company's growth in headcount has been over the last few years. This is a reflection of leadership but also if an organization can be forward thinking enough to not put their employees in a precarious situation.

Fm8bLMmWQAAIhXj

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
^^^fukking retards. They didn't care because money was free, so they overdid it. Low rates give a false sense of how rich you are. A lot of companies learned the hard way. They'll keep learning.

Anyways, my company had a layoff in Q4...I don't think it'll be the last. Always have that resume ready to go, keep applying for jobs.