Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Layoffs are the reality of the tech industry. You could be at a great company for 5 years, but the company just got bought out and the new management is axing everything.

This is why if you want to get in, you better be dedicated to BEING GOOD and you better have a strong network.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Layoffs are the reality of the tech industry. You could be at a great company for 5 years, but the company just got bought out and the new management is axing everything.

This is why if you want to get in, you better be dedicated to BEING GOOD and you better have a strong network.

This. That’s why you gotta have the resume updated, LinkedIn updated and be ready to pivot. As I’m getting older and have a family to worry about I’m more interested in good work life balance and low stress. Every quarter is done bullshyt.

One thing I can stress to the young bulls, tech world no one is safe. Even if you are great at your job and got an excellent review, you can get let go the next day. keeo your eyes open and be ready.

If your company gets bought out or if there’s a major change. Time to start looking. Does not matter how much they say there will be no changes. There will be, they just don’t want to cause any waves before they need to.

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
This is very interesting. Can someone explain to me how this hasn’t been considered a bubble from the start? It’s not like tech industry or coding roles are not something that can ultimately be outsourced and would put us back to square one but it was being talked about as it were salvation as opposed to a gold rush.
Because its not a bubble the tech industry is very real in brings in a significant amount of money. Outsourcing isnt really a concern because these companies build real complex and integrated products you also have to deal with compliance and regulation. You can definitely outsource service desk/help desk and some manual task but you are not outsourcing anything critical to your organization.

For example : Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
This cost boeing BILLIONS of dollars and they saved maybe 2 million on salary :bryan:a colossal L for them.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
It maybe time to update that resume :huhldup:.
It's a nuanced situation. I know my Director in particular was locking horns with him about changes he wantedto make. Can't say the same about the other. Only their jobs were cut and he said no one else is in danger but idk, he's pretty heavy on the Lean Six Sigma shyt :patrice: I'm in access, so I should be fine either way but I need more money!! :damn:

• Dap
Reactions: rlg

Spence

Superstar
Daps
No. LinkedIn tells you the number of applicants per posting. Is it accurate? Who knows? But a year ago I would see single significantly less.
No. LinkedIn tells you the number of applicants per posting. Is it accurate? Who knows? But a year ago I would see single significantly less.
It’s def not accurate

Daps
This. That’s why you gotta have the resume updated, LinkedIn updated and be ready to pivot. As I’m getting older and have a family to worry about I’m more interested in good work life balance and low stress. Every quarter is done bullshyt.

One thing I can stress to the young bulls, tech world no one is safe. Even if you are great at your job and got an excellent review, you can get let go the next day. keeo your eyes open and be ready.

If your company gets bought out or if there’s a major change. Time to start looking. Does not matter how much they say there will be no changes. There will be, they just don’t want to cause any waves before they need to.
My homie is a software engineer and he's been on it since graduating from college wayyyy back ('07).

Works at each spot for 2 years or so and then moves on to a new gig where he can apply what he's learned while also picking up new knowledge. Seeing what everyone is saying on here makes a lot more sense now.

Tech reminds me of medicine in that the $$$$$ attracts a lot of people but you have to actually enjoy the career path and be willing to continuously learn in order to succeed.