Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
The peak of the job-hopping era was wild. Somebody told me the CTO of Chevron (it could have been G&E) came in, worked for a little and job-hopped on their company :mjlol:

Edit: It could have been Chief Scientist or whatever as well, I know it was an executive-level position and well-known company in the energy industry.
The tech market from 2017-2021 was beautiful, job hopping or getting laid off and falling into another high paying job 6 weeks later, being able to stack your severance :wow:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
It's really complicated because it's also a numbers thing and a privilege thing. There's definitely a bias, plus perhaps experience in either their own or dealing with other people.
If you take the top 10% of the world (it's best and brightest) you get 760 million people.
You take every single American (many are idiots): 340 million.

So for every American you see there are two or more top 10% performers in the world out there.

We're basically competing with the best of the best in this field, and we're outnumbered bad: they all want those high-paying spots that we want.

If somebody wants to get in this industry they got to be ready to compete, no way around it. People need to stop being soft and really embrace that mentality that they're up against the best around the world and life doesn't meet us halfway all the time. That's what keeps me grounded: I know a lot of people want to do what I do so I got to do what it takes to stay ahead.

Only thing keeping a firehose of international talent from coming into this country and it really getting thick competitively at the very top is American legislature asking them to go through due process. That's it and people are getting way too comfortable with that or are relying on laws rather than getting better themselves. We can only control how much we prepare, all that other stuff like legislation and how other people vote are out of our hands.
When you look at the illegal immigrants from a place like Mexico (not even counting their skilled immigrants):
You got immigrants out there surviving some crazy shyt to make it across those borders and right into a safe landing spot stateside: outwitting border patrol, advanced security/tech/surveillance, bearing weights/other people on top of them for long ass journeys, etc. You best believe the ones who made it are pretty dang cunning, clever and mentally tough. They probably been through some shyt and solved problems the average American knows absolutely nothing about and in many ways would be labeled as a "bad ass" if somebody heard a story or two.

Can you imagine surviving all that, going toe-to-toe with homeland security, drones, etc. to now having to work with those kind of people :mjlol:
That's why Americans look like food to the average immigrant when they see us here and I can't blame them.

Even those foreign cleaning ladies at hotels are responsible for maintaining complete hotel floors, cleaning up after people and got all that shyt looking pretty, tidy and tight that very same night. Pretty sure their houses ain't all that different either, now think about the average American's house with their kids running around with zero discipline. shyt fukk talking about their kids, they leave their own shyt all over the place for themselves to trip all over.

All this to say, and it's unfair: I really do think most companies view Americans (no matter their background/race) as a little entitled compared to the hoops immigrants jumped through and dedication they see from some trying to get here. I wouldn't say it's just Indians doing the discrimination though. I'd say many in high-positions of the company will have bias when their ass is on the line to hire good, responsible people and not job hoppers who are going to post all over social media (of which many of us Americans are showing the mentality to have recently). People were literally trying to hit on wallstreetbets so that they can quit their jobs and some did. In contrast, they see an immigrant from a poor country who busted their ass to work their way to get to that interview in front of them and they immediately have some trust towards them. If I'm being honest, I also can't front a lot of these cats I work with are unreliable af compared to the foreign talent we hired.

Same thing goes for people from the hood, however the difference is only the more well-known tough locations like "South Central LA" or Baltimore stick out to people and are recognizable. Unfortunately, you can't even put "South Central LA" on a resume. Some people from some real shytty neighborhoods around America may come from much tougher neighborhoods to survive, outwit law enforcement and be good enough to make it to that interview but those counties/cities don't ring a bell to whoever is scanning the resumes. Inglewood don't even look like a place you can claim anymore that shows the same character it once had and I even told an interviewer once I was from Long Beach and she was like "I love Long Beach!" Compare that with somebody who's hometown is The Democratic Republic of the Congo and they straight up look more like they're a survivor.

It all kind of goes back to this right here when you read the replies. There's definitely a bias. Mind you I'm sure plenty of those people in the replies are people in charge of hiring:

I’m not sure what point you trying to make but I think it’s bullshyt to put the entitled jacket onto Americans, Americans are Americans because of America, it’s the culture, and it’s not necessarily being entitled
Immigrates come from foreign cultures it’s different mentalities but it seems like you framing it as if Americans are less than for growing up in America and that’s bullshyt
And I’m not sure if that tweet is necessarily true, sounds like propaganda to again point to people born in America being less than

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m not sure what point you trying to make but I think it’s bullshyt to put the entitled jacket onto Americans, Americans are Americans because of America, it’s the culture, and it’s not necessarily being entitled
Immigrates come from foreign cultures it’s different mentalities but it seems like you framing it as if Americans are less than for growing up in America and that’s bullshyt
And I’m not sure if that tweet is necessarily true, sounds like propaganda to again point to people born in America being less than

Not shocked, I scrolled through the comments there are mentions of "delayed gratification"

I don't think its propaganda that Americans are less than. Moreso people from overseas (especially if they're black) NEED and WANT it more. They view America as an opportunity, whereas allota folks here are entitled believing the game is suppose to save and take care of them.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Not shocked, I scrolled through the comments there are mentions of "delayed gratification"

I don't think its propaganda that Americans are less than. Moreso people from overseas (especially if they're black) NEED and WANT it more. They view America as an opportunity, whereas allota folks here are entitled believing the game is suppose to save and take care of them.
That’s bullshyt
And the “game” saved and took care of immigrants but when domestic people look for the same things they being entitled

Im not a believer in this idea that immigrants just want it more, ok they did what they had to do to make it to this country but that don’t make them better than anybody else, it’s people who were born in this country who lived in fukked up conditions but still strived for better, y’all got to stop with this condescending attitude towards people that’s why it’s always tension and people want to cry xenophobic when people speak on it

Last edited:

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s bullshyt
And the “game” saved and took care of immigrants but when domestic people look for the same things they being entitled

Im not a believer in this idea that immigrants just want it more, ok they did what they had to do to make it to this country but that don’t make them better than anybody else, it’s people who were born in this country who lived in fukked up conditions but still strived for better, y’all got to stop with this condescending attitude towards people that’s why it’s always tension and people want to cry xenophobic when people speak on it
I never said those from overseas are better than anyone else. I grew up in East Flatbush during the 90’s, been in the tech industry for 13. In my consulting engaged with at least 15 clients + the companies I worked for + been apart of interview panels. Its my personal experience. I’m not saying I’m right, and you’re wrong. It’s just from my experience those first generation kids wanted it more.

White supremacy allows for white mediocrity. Enables white kids to be entitled, disengaged, and not serious. It becomes a problem in the black community when our kids think they can act like those white kids and still receive the same benefits.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Reverse Uno Card pulled- she started her own firm

A New York attorney is being sued by her employer for “quiet quitting,” a term for workers who don’t leave their job but do the bare minimum and instead focus their time on external activities.

Napoli Shkolnik, a New York-based personal injury law firm yesterday (Feb. 23) filed a lawsuit against Heather Palmore, an attorney who is still employed at the firm. Palmore is accused of taking “advantage of the new remote work environment to ‘quiet quit’ her job,” according to the complaint.

The law firm claims that Palmore’s computer records show she only spent a few minutes a day on her computer throughout the majority of 2023. The attorney, who was first hired in October 2021, additionally submitted falsified daily reports that said she spent hours on legal research and drafting documents, including one stating she had worked seven hours in the future, said the complaint.

In the past five months, Palmore has also allegedly refused to come into work, get approval for time off or provide any updates on her cases. Napoli Shkolnik said further evidence of Palmore’s “quiet quitting” includes a medical malpractice case she worked on in November 2021 where she gave an eight-minute long opening statement, “when typical opening statements in plaintiff medical malpractice cases are approximately one to two hours long,” according to court filings.

However, David Gottlieb, an attorney representing Palmore, said Napoli Shkolnik’s lawsuit was only filed in response to claims of discrimination Palmore has raised against the firm and an upcoming action she has been planning to file.

“This preemptive lawsuit is a transparent and ill-advised attempt to try to gain some perceived strategic advantage, but is obviously an act of blatant retaliation,” said Gottlieb in an emailed statement. “We will be moving forward with Ms. Palmore’s lawsuit in short order, which will include claims based on this retaliatory conduct.”
———

Seems like she was making moves on them for racial discrimination, now they are trying to force her out

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
That’s bullshyt

I honestly think it's harder to sell yourself over an immigrant with the exact same race, education and experience. That was my original point, from personal experience at least.

Basically how people hiring generally view schools by tier (many will vouch for this):
A: Top 10 CS school
B: Local schools the recruiter/company may be familiar or have a contract with in the area
C: Every other college, bootcamp grads, etc.

If you're basically not from a top school you're practically level with everyone else and Leetcode skills, knowledge, work experience, interview skills, etc. will come into play.

Now, when I used to do interviews and met with our team about who we decide gets the go-ahead I often see this play out when talking with other people, given:
Two people have roughly same education (went to the same school with similar GPA)
Same amount of professional experience (meaning they have a solid history of working on teams with money on the line)

However, one came from Los Angeles and another from Nigeria, whoever is looking over those resumes many times will lean towards bringing in the latter first because of the many stigmas presented with being from LA or whatever American city they list.

Of course you'd ideally bring both in to interview, but, remember some companies are on a tight schedule so they want to grab somebody ASAP. If they pull in that immigrant first and they blow everyone away, the search may be over right then and there without interviewing the American prospect with similar accolades.

That actually did happen at my last company.

A lot of people want to say immigrants may have ways to cheat/bypass the system, but Americans do that shyt all the time as well. shyt, I just read a story today about how some dude's grade jumped from a D to an A because the staff discovered a shytload of students cheating and failed/dropped them and skyrocketed people's grades. So that means the D student passed as an A student, but had that not happened all those students who were cheating are one step closer to graduation. Basically lose-lose.
Plus those rich kids who get into these schools do so via connections - as we've seen time and time again. shyt, remember this?

I don't want to derail it any further, but all this to say, from the original point of my post: it's a competitive field that's only getting more competitive and if folks don't want to compete to standout then they need to find a new industry.

Last edited:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I honestly think it's harder to sell yourself over an immigrant with the exact same race, education and experience. That was my original point, from personal experience at least.

Basically how people hiring generally view schools by tier (many will vouch for this):
A: Top 10 CS school
B: Local schools the recruiter/company may be familiar or have a contract with in the area
C: Every other college, bootcamp grads, etc.

If you're basically not from a top school you're practically level with everyone else and Leetcode skills, knowledge, work experience, interview skills, etc. will come into play.

Now, when I used to do interviews and met with our team about who we decide gets the go-ahead I often see this play out when talking with other people, given:
Two people have roughly same education (went to the same school with similar GPA)
Same amount of professional experience (meaning they have a solid history of working on teams with money on the line)

However, one came from Los Angeles and another from Nigeria, whoever is looking over those resumes many times will lean with bringing in the latter first because of the many stigmas presented with being from LA or whatever American city they list. Often, they'd be the first ones interviewed.

Of course you'd ideally bring both in to interview, but, remember some companies are on a tight schedule so they want to grab somebody ASAP. If they pull in that immigrant first and he blows everyone away, the search may be over right then and there without interviewing the American prospect with similar accolades.

That actually did happen at my last company.

A lot of people want to say immigrants may have ways to cheat/bypass the system, but Americans do that shyt all the time as well. shyt, I just read a story today about how some dude's grade jumped from a D to an A because the staff discovered a shytload of students cheating and failed/dropped them.
Plus those rich kids who get into these schools do so via connections - as we've seen time and time again. shyt, remember this?

I don't want to derail it any further, but all this to say, from the original point of my post: it's competitive and only getting more competitive and if folks don't want to compete to standout then they need to find a new industry.
We only check that there’s a BA/BS, we aren’t looking at schools….at all.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s bullshyt

Most foreigners know companies now favor them over Americans. They expect us to do our jobs and theirs. If that's not entitlement I don't know what is.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reverse Uno Card pulled- she started her own firm

A New York attorney is being sued by her employer for “quiet quitting,” a term for workers who don’t leave their job but do the bare minimum and instead focus their time on external activities.

Napoli Shkolnik, a New York-based personal injury law firm yesterday (Feb. 23) filed a lawsuit against Heather Palmore, an attorney who is still employed at the firm. Palmore is accused of taking “advantage of the new remote work environment to ‘quiet quit’ her job,” according to the complaint.

The law firm claims that Palmore’s computer records show she only spent a few minutes a day on her computer throughout the majority of 2023. The attorney, who was first hired in October 2021, additionally submitted falsified daily reports that said she spent hours on legal research and drafting documents, including one stating she had worked seven hours in the future, said the complaint.

In the past five months, Palmore has also allegedly refused to come into work, get approval for time off or provide any updates on her cases. Napoli Shkolnik said further evidence of Palmore’s “quiet quitting” includes a medical malpractice case she worked on in November 2021 where she gave an eight-minute long opening statement, “when typical opening statements in plaintiff medical malpractice cases are approximately one to two hours long,” according to court filings.

However, David Gottlieb, an attorney representing Palmore, said Napoli Shkolnik’s lawsuit was only filed in response to claims of discrimination Palmore has raised against the firm and an upcoming action she has been planning to file.

“This preemptive lawsuit is a transparent and ill-advised attempt to try to gain some perceived strategic advantage, but is obviously an act of blatant retaliation,” said Gottlieb in an emailed statement. “We will be moving forward with Ms. Palmore’s lawsuit in short order, which will include claims based on this retaliatory conduct.”
———

Seems like she was making moves on them for racial discrimination, now they are trying to force her out

They couldn’t just fire her?

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel like this is partially race based.

Without giving much away about my job, I can tell you that literally EVERY person (well about 7 outta 10) buying a new house in this economy are Indian, and they ALL are immigrants making high 6 figures in software engineering, or some form of IT. Buying $700,000 and up houses. ALL remote jobs.
And it's like, how is it they immediately come to America and get a $160,000 job right out the gate in their early 20s? No masters degree, no MBA, nothing.

Meanwhile, you have American kids of all races, including WHITE, who go to college and graduate and barely are able to find a job paying enough to pay back loans or cover rent.

And good for the Indians, but you can't tell me, educationally, that every major American college isn't as good as schools in India when it comes to tech curriculum. I know there's some great colleges in India, but I'm just speaking as a whole.

And most of these IT ppl are just chillin all day and only there in case something happens. There's no way this wasn't going to happen once these white execs figured out ways to automate certain IT tasks, and/or place more responsibility on other roles so they can cut the number of additional ppl.

I hope no brehs lost their jobs, especially on here. Some of these Indians are pretty racist and stand-offish despite being the same skin color or darker than brehs.

How so?

The ppl doing the hiring are mostly white. But many of them are clueless about tech outside of buzzwords, and just automatically assume someone foreign knows IT.

And good on Indians for milking a hole in the American system. Bc they come over here, find a gf/wife and both are making big money right outta the gate and start a family. It's like Mexicans who told me that in Mexico they are trained to do labor jobs that exist in America for the sole purpose of coming over here to make good money....which they can then wire that money back to Mexico until their family can get over here

But once White ppl start seeing their wealthy, all-white neighborhoods turning majority brown, and their kids schools turning brown, eyes get opened & you know what's coming next..
Indians take nepotism to the extreme. Those white girls in H.R let resumes that past whatever filter go through. But once those applicants get to Indian hiring managers most select other Indians.
This is an open secret in the industry. Once a team, org or firm get Indian managers the amount of Indians hired grows almost exponentially.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Indians take nepotism to the extreme. Those white girls in H.R let resumes that past whatever filter go through. But once those applicants get to Indian hiring managers most select other Indians.
This is an open secret in the industry. Once a team, org or firm get Indian managers the amount of Indians hired grows almost exponentially.
I knew I wasn't trippin every time I came up against an Indian interviewer. Even working with an indian manager was annoying. nikka was p*ssy around his boss, but wanted to be show he's in charge. nikka, run the fukkin project and stop folding to demands. I was ready to choke that nikka. Thank God for the strength of patience. Indian workers are cool tho