Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dude walked right into that trap. Lifestyle creep is a bytch. "Price ended up being our flexible factor" :snoop:
Yeah he fukked up….

Working for big tech isn’t a long term career. For example Amazon has the 2 and 4 year cliffs. After 2 years your bonus drops off and your take home pay drops significantly. After 4 years your stock vests and you are left with just your base pay. Now you can maybe try to get promoted during that time and get more stock grants and bump your base some but you take home pay will always been at its highest in the first two years.

Most people quit or get fired within the first couple years. There is a tool there called “old fart” that tells you where you rank in tenure throughout the entire company. All it takes is 1 year to be in the top 50%.

The move is to rent and stack for 2 years. Then relocate with Amazon, Google, Meta, etc on your resume and settle down. Nobody should be buying a house in SF, Seattle, etc unless you are a VP or higher. Even then it’s kinda stupid.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
I work closely with Microsoft in my current role. I was told that they sort of ‘pile on’ when the market allows this type of layoff and will go for people at a certain level who aren’t managers, underperformers and weak business areas.

Sounds like it was lots of Bing, IoT and Marketing on this batch.

I also work closely with Salesforce. Apparently it’s chaos in the EMEA offices and people still don’t know if they are affected shyt.
It was more than that.

A lot of Azure and sales teams too.

Cobalt Sire

All Star
Daps
Coli bros thought they found the cheat code
Now the job market has you in a sleep hold
Livin' high on the hog with a tech job
Bills pilin' up make you cut ya neck off
"Not a problem for stem gang" is kinda bold
You've been left out to dry like some clothes.
6 figures, 6 series, 6 packs and certs
It's your job to be a clown, funny how that works.
A hundred applications, not a single job
How the fukk you miss a whole hundred jobs
Got my own business, got a lot of haters
Y'all in E statements, not getting paper
Gotcha shyttin' your pants, that depends.
Amazon is hirin', for y'all, that's a win.
Getting jobs for y'all is confusing like Tenet.
Y'all gotta rewind time to get paid, get it?

Last edited:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
6 figures, 6 series, 6 certs
Lookin' like clowns, funny how that works.
Don't quit your day job bruh.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Scrolling through SM today, i notice alot of tech content creators (those day in the life of a tech..,as a ... In tech folks) got laid off. It could be sampling bias but I'm wondering if some of them were put on lists cause of their content.
lotta folks couldn't enjoy their hustle and ran to social media essentially gloating about how rthrey don't do shyt and get a bag lol. Not saying this is the case for them though

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lotta folks couldn't enjoy their hustle and ran to social media essentially gloating about how rthrey don't do shyt and get a bag lol. Not saying this is the case for them though

This dude here was not as obnoxious with his content. most of what i saw from him was more housing advocacy and against nimbyism in California. Didn't even know he was a swe untill today. But his content on housing got alot of views so i wonder if google got a heads up and figured it was too political or got pressure from some influential people to let dude go. Seems like a good dude i feel bad for him

Daps
Yeah he fukked up….

Working for big tech isn’t a long term career. For example Amazon has the 2 and 4 year cliffs. After 2 years your bonus drops off and your take home pay drops significantly. After 4 years your stock vests and you are left with just your base pay. Now you can maybe try to get promoted during that time and get more stock grants and bump your base some but you take home pay will always been at its highest in the first two years.

Most people quit or get fired within the first couple years. There is a tool there called “old fart” that tells you where you rank in tenure throughout the entire company. All it takes is 1 year to be in the top 50%.

The move is to rent and stack for 2 years. Then relocate with Amazon, Google, Meta, etc on your resume and settle down. Nobody should be buying a house in SF, Seattle, etc unless you are a VP or higher. Even then it’s kinda stupid.
Agreed. If you can't buy the house in cash damn near...it's not worth it for those folks.

Those tech jobs are similar to CEO gigs. You bust your azz and make paper for a few years and then get your golden parachute.

Eternal Tecate

Superstar
Daps
How long is going to take for the public and more importantly, regulators, to start being more loud about the fact that so many of these new fangled tech companies from the last 5 years were nothing but VC pump and dumps similar to Initial Coin Offerings in the Crypto industry? Except these are lot worse because there's a connection to real money, real banks, the real economy, and people's livelihoods. Look no further than Clubhouse, Wish, or anything Adam Neumann has been involved with for examples of this. Nothing but fugazi valuations, companies that are completely fukking useless (or exist nothing more as an answer in search of an actual problem) - who wins? The VCs and everyone else involved .
When the company's M.O. is "scale to infinity" and their answer to when they'll be profitable is "we need more funding" I think we're in trouble.
VC's like Andreeson need to be locked up , and they should be forced to return all of the money they have scammed and pilfered

The public doesn't know how it works. The regulators are in on it. The whole American system is built on fictitious capital. Capital gains. Unearned income. Societal overhead charges. The ruling class doesn't work, they make passive income. People have been gaslit to believe that all profit is productive when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

The American economy is built on fictitious capital to the point where nobody can see it because we're fish in water. Americans will be the last to see the plot. Other countries are bowing out of the modern system. All the countries the US outsourced production to are self-sustaining now. And the US isn't self sustaining. We all have immaterial jobs. The amount of material and ideological rebuilding that has to be done in this country is staggering and will take decades.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
E
6 figures, 6 series, 6 packs and certs
Lookin' like clowns, funny how that works.
A hundred applications, not a single job
How the fukk you miss a whole hundred jobs
Got my own business, got a lot of haters
Y'all in E statements, not getting paper
Gotcha shyttin' your pants, that depends.
Amazon is hirin', for y'all, that's a win.
Getting jobs for y'all is confusing like Tenet.
Y'all not getting paid unless you rewind, get it?
This hater energy is :scust:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah he fukked up….

Yea, having any of those companies on your resume is a trump card really. Employers better be ready to pay up though.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I am graduating in the spring with a B.S and one internship. How screwed am I?
You're ok. Plenty of people are hiring, my Linkedin for example got a lot of people saying they got new jobs.

End of the day Microsoft still got 200k+ employees. 6% got laid off from Google, but 94% still working there.

It sucks for the people laid off no doubt, but it'll come back stronger and many folks out there still getting jobs.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Alot of these talented folks that got laid off are gonna end up at startups that have both a need and capital runway.

Or they'll pivot into other functions/disciplines.

Recruiters really should look into HR generalists or even Total Rewards. less cyclical and always a need.
That is definitely my next move if/when remote recruitment jobs dry up. For now I’m eating really well so there’s no real point. HR is typically the function that requires face time for in person incidents should anything arise, I’m not actively going to look for a commute to any fkn where until absolutely necessary :mjlol:

HRBP’s get paid really fkn well and there isn’t much work outside of offboarding, terminations, layoffs, and the very occasional harassment suit or “corrective action” meetings that HR has to mediate.