Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
r/overemployed>>>>>>>>>>>
This. Get more skills. Work more jobs/move on to the next one. Keep with your plan and move forward. Jobs are nothing more than paid boot camps to me, I’m not here to be comfortable or for a long time I’m here to get paid to apply skills that I learned.

You have to pick something to worry about shyt you can’t control like lay-off and the economy tanking or shyt you can control like what skills you know and the ones you want to learn. If you keep up with your industry, you can make a clear path.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Scrolling through SM today, i notice alot of tech content creators (those day in the life of a tech..,as a ... In tech folks) got laid off. It could be sampling bias but I'm wondering if some of them were put on lists cause of their content.
They were. Company culture is moving towards what these alt right shareholders consider "woke" and unproductive. As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, they're going to pre-pandemic levels.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
The public doesn't know how it works. The regulators are in on it. The whole American system is built on fictitious capital. Capital gains. Unearned income. Societal overhead charges. The ruling class doesn't work, they make passive income. People have been gaslit to believe that all profit is productive when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

The American economy is built on fictitious capital to the point where nobody can see it because we're fish in water. Americans will be the last to see the plot. Other countries are bowing out of the modern system. All the countries the US outsourced production to are self-sustaining now. And the US isn't self sustaining. We all have immaterial jobs. The amount of material and ideological rebuilding that has to be done in this country is staggering and will take decades.
American economy is built on derivatives, credit and options/stocks.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Find a way to import a bunch of Gireesh and Latikas from India & Pakistan to give you their H1B to hold onto while you market out their skills. Unfortunately it’s inside baseball just like all the turbans that own all the gas stations. The infrastructure is already there for them to succeed because all they cousins back home want to be in tech so they go through serfdom first to become citizens here.

No real play we can make honestly. You can invest in a C2C to get a small slice but the Indians aren’t going to cut you in fairly.
What's C2C? Also you're right. They're even in Atlanta now. I remember seeing a lot of them twitter wanting Stacy Abrams to win. I thought "why would an Indian want a black candidate to win over a white one :mjlol:?". I then realized that Stacy abrams was very pro immigration compared go the CAC :francis:. Nothing wring with immigration but they really trying to turn thr south into San jose.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
My linked in page is filled with ex google employees announcing they’re looking for employment, it’s fukking depressing.

They also cancelled all interviews from taking place from today to next Wednesday. That’s easily hundreds of interviews right there.

I hope I don’t get cut from my company, I was just about to go car shopping smh

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
My linked in page is filled with ex google employees announcing they’re looking for employment, it’s fukking depressing.

They also cancelled all interviews from taking place from today to next Wednesday. That’s easily hundreds of interviews right there.

I'm currently a computer engineer major looking to get into working with radars or weapons systems for thr DOD. Any advice ? I don't really want to be a SWE, but I've won a few havkathons. I know python , C++, assembly and C. I'm in San jose to it's been hard as hell to get an internship here. I got two years left....

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I'm currently a computer engineer major looking to get into working with radars or weapons systems for thr DOD. Any advice ? I don't really want to be a SWE, but I've won a few havkathons. I know python , C++, assembly and C. I'm in San jose to it's been hard as hell to get an internship here. I got two years left....
I’m not in SWE, but I do have some experience with SWE folks. Best advice? Network network network.

It’s good that you’re still in college, use that to your advantage, as you get free and discounted admission to a lot of hackathons, conferences, coding clubs, etc. make it a goal to exchange information with at least 2, people each time.

Work on some google certificates provided by coursera. There’s a bunch of them, and I think you can get them for free or discounted. Price is around $40 a month.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Have you used USAJOBS?
A buddy of mine uses it

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Have you used USAJOBS?
A buddy of mine uses it

I've used it. My problem is getting an internship. I have no family in the country at the moment (parents retired to Costa Rica last year) so I gotta find an internship near San jose. San jose is competitive as hell. Indians everywhere.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I’m not in SWE, but I do have some experience with SWE folks. Best advice? Network network network.

It’s good that you’re still in college, use that to your advantage, as you get free and discounted admission to a lot of hackathons, conferences, coding clubs, etc. make it a goal to exchange information with at least 2, people each time.

Work on some google certificates provided by coursera. There’s a bunch of them, and I think you can get them for free or discounted. Price is around $40 a month.
Why Google certs specifically? I was thinking about getting my CCNA and CISSP instead but I really want to know why you said Google certs.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

I hope you buying cash lmfao i woulsnt add any non revenue generating overhead in this climate

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This. Get more skills. Work more jobs/move on to the next one. Keep with your plan and move forward. Jobs are nothing more than paid boot camps to me, I’m not here to be comfortable or for a long time I’m here to get paid to apply skills that I learned.

You have to pick something to worry about shyt you can’t control like lay-off and the economy tanking or shyt you can control like what skills you know and the ones you want to learn. If you keep up with your industry, you can make a clear path.

keep “open to work” permanently on LinkedIn. Don’t think that you can’t be let go. Look at your role and projects. Look at your department. Do y’all make the company money. No? You’re likely in trouble. Companies are cutting wherever they can and shyt that doesn’t make money is the first to get cut.

Don’t think you can’t get fired on that well deserved vacation, or sick leave or maternity leave. You are just a line on a spreadsheet.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
keep “open to work” permanently on LinkedIn. Don’t think that you can’t be let go. Look at your role and projects. Look at your department. Do y’all make the company money. No? You’re likely in trouble. Companies are cutting wherever they can and shyt that doesn’t make money is the first to get cut.

Don’t think you can’t get fired on that well deserved vacation, or sick leave or maternity leave. You are just a line on a spreadsheet.

I don't feel you can be high performing and worry about being let go at the same time. It's also not an employees job to measure their value to the company, their job is to do their job. Focus on your own goals and the path ahead of you. Constantly living in fear is stressful af! The only fear I have is not meeting my own personal goals. I really DGAF about an employer for real.

I've also been unemployed multiple times throughout my life, fired, laid off and/or quit, so my fear of being without work dissipated a while ago. Bills don't care where the money came from as long as they get paid.

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
An issue too that doesn't get a lot of attention is in these tech layoffs a lot of these workers on are visas and were on only work visas to stay here, not a standard green card.

Gonna be a whole lot of deportations. And tears.

Last edited:

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
What's C2C? Also you're right. They're even in Atlanta now. I remember seeing a lot of them twitter wanting Stacy Abrams to win. I thought "why would an Indian want a black candidate to win over a white one :mjlol:?". I then realized that Stacy abrams was very pro immigration compared go the CAC :francis:. Nothing wring with immigration but they really trying to turn thr south into San jose.
Thats crazy that abrams sold out her own people.. smh