Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Understood hence my "capital runway" comment.

VCs were giving out money to everyone before the interest rates started jumping. If a startup raised cash in early 2021 and is about to run out already, then :jbhmm:

These startups will do whatever it takes to survive, dilution aint shyt to shutting down. My little family VC office got our 2023 contributions lined up, so someone is still offering equity out there.

the sales folks are staying put. but the Admin and HR folks getting washed out. 85% of my LinkedIN connections are HR folks and its scary on there.
Depends on how high you are on the ladder for HR. There will always be a need for human HRBP’s if humans are working at/in a facility. If they are lower level recruiters or generalists with simpler functions then yeah they are going to be looking.

I’ve taken a peek and the market for remote recruitment looks pretty damn decent….for now.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
These jobs and bloated salaries ain't coming back. You're gonna see more outsourcing and importing of workers on visas. Especially if an immigration reform bill passes.
:francis:
It's over. This will be the new reality for most 6 certs and 6 figures.
Actually, no. The money is in what we call C2C in recruitment where a bunch of small mom and pop “corps” hold these visas and whore out Dupinders and Maneesh to companies for 6 months to a year before their H1B lottery hits EAD status. ALL Companies never want to sponsor an H1B themselves as it is EXPENSIVE as fk. So they let the corps handle that and then either take the tax hit for working with a more expensive option of an H1B worker or choosing someone else with a much cheaper authorization status.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Actually, no. The money is in what we call C2C in recruitment where a bunch of small mom and pop “corps” hold these visas and whore out Dupinders and Maneesh to companies for 6 months to a year before their H1B lottery hits EAD status. ALL Companies never want to sponsor an H1B themselves as it is EXPENSIVE as fk. So they let the corps handle that and then either take the tax hit for working with a more expensive option of an H1B worker or choosing someone else with a much cheaper authorization status.
How we set this up ourselves? Whats the play..

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Yea, having any of those companies on your resume is a trump card really. Employers better be ready to pay up though.
Sometimes it can work against you for the very same reason where companies will automatically think you’ll be too expensive to even try to talk to because FAANG company salaries are ridic

Spence

Superstar
Daps
How we set this up ourselves? Whats the play..
Find a way to import a bunch of Gireesh and Latikas from India & Pakistan to give you their H1B to hold onto while you market out their skills. Unfortunately it’s inside baseball just like all the turbans that own all the gas stations. The infrastructure is already there for them to succeed because all they cousins back home want to be in tech so they go through serfdom first to become citizens here.

No real play we can make honestly. You can invest in a C2C to get a small slice but the Indians aren’t going to cut you in fairly.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
The price of Capitalism. :yeshrug: The new age American version relies upon nearly UNENDING GROWTH (in profits).......INDEFINITELY for increased stockholder value or people will lose their jobs (and health insurance). Well, even if it was possible to maintain unlimited, indefinite growth, a lot of that comes from job cuts anyway.

People don't understand how fragile of a system this is and YOUR ABILITY TO GET MEDICAL CARE IS ANCHORED TO IT~! There were thousands of healthcare workers laid off during a pandemic and now tens of thousands of tech workers laid off in an employment environment seemingly tailor made for them.

And many of these jobs will never come back. We're living in the WOAT timeline. :wow:

We need to end healthcare being tied to jobs. Make it universal.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Scrolling through SM today, i notice alot of tech content creators (those day in the life of a tech..,as a ... In tech folks) got laid off. It could be sampling bias but I'm wondering if some of them were put on lists cause of their content.

Probably. People need to realize new age, nice tech bro Capitalism, just like the rebranding of Jim Crow to James Crowe, is the old system wrapped in fancy dress (or casual khaki slacks). The modus operandi is the same; make money for shareholders at all costs. The fact that the general public accepts that fact that corporations are nothing more than vehicles for stockholders to make money and they aren't obligated to do anything beyond that is insane to me. Just male Ponzi schemes legal then. A corporation should be required to provide a good or service and be accountable and beneficial to stakeholders, not just stockholders. As long as we accept them as profit machines for a few select people we will be in this quagmire.