Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Hope the companies get this out their system now and we see more hiring in late q2 and q4
So they can just fire them again next year?
Maybe these companies are just simply over-staffed?

MS increased their work force by 53% from 2019 to 2022…53%!

Bad Management!

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
So they can just fire them again next year?
Maybe these companies are just simply over-staffed?

MS increased their work force by 53% from 2019 to 2022…53%!

Bad Management!
They knew what they were doing, those covid incentives were too nice to pass up. There was no need to stock up like they did during the pandemic. This all about shareholders getting margins they are happy with.

Last edited:

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
lol said startups are running out of cash and most astute investors are not injecting more

they dont wanna dilute the shareholders so they wont issue equity at trash valuations
they are not profitable enough or sticky enough (unless theyre enterprise B2B software companies) to warrant debt investments

itll be a vortex....a slippery slope

in times like this, sales & marketing, and administrative staff are the first to get cut in tech
Understood hence my "capital runway" comment.

VCs were giving out money to everyone before the interest rates started jumping. If a startup raised cash in early 2021 and is about to run out already, then :jbhmm:

These startups will do whatever it takes to survive, dilution aint shyt to shutting down. My little family VC office got our 2023 contributions lined up, so someone is still offering equity out there.

the sales folks are staying put. but the Admin and HR folks getting washed out. 85% of my LinkedIN connections are HR folks and its scary on there.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Understood hence my "capital runway" comment.

VCs were giving out money to everyone before the interest rates started jumping. If a startup raised cash in early 2021 and is about to run out already, then :jbhmm:

These startups will do whatever it takes to survive, dilution aint shyt to shutting down. My little family VC office got our 2023 contributions lined up, so someone is still offering equity out there.
word

we'll see. i work on the private credit side so i work with and talk to a lot of lenders and start ups

if a company's model doesnt have strong revenue retention (ie. low churn rates) then we wont lend to them on the tech side.
if its business model is consumer driven (social media, e-commerce, gig economy stuff for instance) we wont either. and a lot of other firms feel the same way unless the core business is very non-cyclical

strict focus these days is on highly entrenched enterprise software and digital infrastructure when it comes to Tech. Other companies are assed out for the most part

convertible debt is one avenue that start ups can use to raise capital if they have the right profile. Here's an example of the sort of transaction that can work

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
its tough to raise capital at valuations 80% lower than the last round. its a very tough pill to swallow and forces certain types of growth equity or VC investors to have to recognize immense write downs on their books.

most would rather kick the can down the road and raise debt than have to swallow that pill

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
word

we'll see. i work on the private credit side so i work with and talk to a lot of lenders and start ups

if a company's model doesnt have strong revenue retention (ie. low churn rates) then we wont lend to them on the tech side.
if its business model is consumer driven (social media, e-commerce, gig economy stuff for instance) we wont either. and a lot of other firms feel the same way unless the core business is very non-cyclical

strict focus these days is on highly entrenched enterprise software and digital infrastructure when it comes to Tech. Other companies are assed out for the most part

convertible debt is one avenue that start ups can use to raise capital if they have the right profile. Here's an example of the sort of transaction that can work

These were the type of tech start ups I was targeting, not trying to be laid off twice in short order :picard:

My (new) company fits the digital infrastructure focus and had their Series C in Q1 2022 and landed in top half of the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 2 years in a row. Hoping that means I'm good, lol

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They knew what they were doing, those covid incentives were too nice to pass up. There was no need to stock up like they did during the pandemic. This all about shareholders getting margins they are happy with.
That’s why I call them irresponsible. We work for shareholders now and they expect big gains.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
These jobs and bloated salaries ain't coming back. You're gonna see more outsourcing and importing of workers on visas. Especially if an immigration reform bill passes.
:francis:
It's over. This will be the new reality for most 6 certs and 6 figures.

eastsideTT

Superstar
Daps
How long is going to take for the public and more importantly, regulators, to start being more loud about the fact that so many of these new fangled tech companies from the last 5 years were nothing but VC pump and dumps similar to Initial Coin Offerings in the Crypto industry? Except these are lot worse because there's a connection to real money, real banks, the real economy, and people's livelihoods. Look no further than Clubhouse, Wish, or anything Adam Neumann has been involved with for examples of this. Nothing but fugazi valuations, companies that are completely fukking useless (or exist nothing more as an answer in search of an actual problem) - who wins? The VCs and everyone else involved .
When the company's M.O. is "scale to infinity" and their answer to when they'll be profitable is "we need more funding" I think we're in trouble.
VC's like Andreeson need to be locked up , and they should be forced to return all of the money they have scammed and pilfered