Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps
recruiters in tech would be wise to look at other industries for the time being.
I’ve built a versatile resume and I’ve recruited in general functions so that helps as well. It’s getting spooky for sure though since I’m in the affected industry.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I dont know if the AI stuff will make it worse..
For now it’s not. Amazon is basically doing a dry run with its lower level warehouse positions going through the AI recruiting function they’ve built. Once they start selling that tech like they do AWS is when my job is really in trouble.
Luckily I can pivot to becoming an HRBP which will never not have a human in place if humans are employed by said company I want to work for.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
What y’all be doing at these faang companies
Like what is the job title and what is the work typically like

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
What was the lifestyle change like for you? Working 20 hours for $120k is a pretty good gig. I was in a similar spot with my previous company but it was stagnating my career. Now I work more and make a lot more but I kinda wish I had my free time back.
I loved the work life balance at my old gig, but there was no room for advancement. During Covid, I was dropping my kids off at school, hitting Costco, checkin e-mails and doing work for 2-3 hours, then signing off for the day. I put in my 2 week notice just as they announced RTO.

Tech company, i worked alot more and made alot more, but I also had unlimited PTO which I used. I had to ration out vacation days at old gig. Now, I was Full time remote so I could just go somewhere for a week and bring my laptop with me. Even if I was on vacation, I would check in on urgent stuff and maybe do 1-2 hours of work. When shyt was busy, I was working like 9-5pm, and 7-9pm to support folks on the West coast.

I got used to the tech industry work life and I'm trying to get to the money, so I'm not leaving.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Hopefully all the layoffs and hiring freezes will generate more innovation as some people will use this time to work on their own ideas
Programs like Y-combinator barely get any buzz now days, everybody was just running to get a $400K job and calling it a day I guess

I wonder when/if the layoffs will start to hit other industries. I'm assuming housing will be next, the auto industry maybe, then retail?
Office buildings need to get converted to lofts and housing and shelters.

Office downtown culture is DONE.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Office buildings need to get converted to lofts and housing and shelters.

Office downtown culture is DONE.
Basically this. I remember the early days seeing the park n ride as a ghost town when there’s usually hundreds of cars taking the bus into downtown Houston. Industry needs to get with the fkn program where labor wants to be at (remote) and stop trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Bigger companies are fkn up though and giving smaller companies a total leg up by letting their entire workforce be remote.

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
These companies are just waiting for the job market to tighten up. I expect more companies to move to the hybrid setup.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Don't get me wrong, those are a lot of layoffs and each one sucks.

At the same time:
Microsoft still got 200k+ people working for them.
Amazon about 1.5 million employees (although many are warehouse employees).

At the end of the day, a lot of folks still have their jobs and a lot of people are going to be able to find new jobs working in tech.

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
Recruiters are overpaid for what they truly bring to the table.
What makes you say this? I've dealt with TA folks as strategic partner for work and as a candidate, and good recruiters are worth their weight in gold.

In the tech labor market, the candidate experience is half the battle. TA is directly responsible for that