Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
I thought US companies gave crap severances?

Yeah, but US tech companies give awesome severance (aside from Leon Msuk, smh)

Labor market for tech companies is really tight, as your workforce is in constant threat of getting poached.
Tech companies gotta offer decent severance packages to retain the folks who aren't laid off.
It's important and valuable to maintain a decent company culture or you'll churn through your employees and end up having to pay a premium to attract and retain them.

Amazon's company culture is shytty, but they pay at the 99th percentile to offset it. They also have decent severance for corporate/tech folks.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I thought US companies gave crap severances?
All depends on the company. My old coworker who actually got me my current job left to go to a car software company. Their severance package kicked in at 1 year. They laid him off 11 months in. He had been telling me the whole year that the company had been having a lot of layoffs and was curious how he survived. I'm assuming they were just cycling people out right before they qualified for the severance.

At my old company not sure when it kicks in but it paid 1 week of salary for every year at the company. I was 17 years deep and was hoping for layoffs.

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
You was banking banking too. hate that for you my breh.

Yeah, it was short lived but I'd do it all over again knowing the outcome would be the same.

In 2020, I worked for a utility company and did maybe 20 hours of real work a week. Making like $120k

In 2022, I worked 50-60 hrs a week, but I paid $120k in taxes. Sign me up for that, even if it means getting laid off every 15 months. :ohlawd:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Yeah, it was short lived but I'd do it all over again knowing the outcome would be the same.

In 2020, I worked for a utility company and did maybe 20 hours of real work a week. Making like $120k

In 2022, I worked 50-60 hrs a week, but I paid $120k in taxes. Sign me up for that, even if it means getting laid off every 15 months. :ohlawd:
My taxes just went up majority. I am about to change how much I pay for 401k and see if my taxes go back down.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
3% reduction in force at my company, small tech firm. Thankfully, I’m in the clear. Three people in my department got cut. Two of them had been there 10+ years, they seem to have cut more high paying positions

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
I hope you didn't stop your job search. Keep looking
I did.

The thing is I’m at a kinda-FAANG company now and if I don’t move jobs I’ll just stay and more internally.

But we also have shoring freeze and people in my team were made redundant already. Plus I was waiting on results from a certification before I send the CV back out.

I’m not sure what one going to do.