Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i read a conspiracy theory that they used the pandemic and consequent hiring spree to scale up operations in other countries, and then when the bubble burst down size in the USA

a snealy way to off shore jobs
Offshore talent is actually in even higher demand. I know I had a goal to hire offshore talent and basically it’s so competitive for good outsource talent that I just hire on shore.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
On my LinkedIN feed, I see people saying they got laid off 2x in 2022 from tech companies. Even though it's a mindfukk, that's alot of cash and equity in severance to hit your account and keep you cushy for a bit
I been dying to get laid off at my new company lol. I just want a mental break from working even if for a month before starting the job search.

My old company I left a little over a year ago went the route of changing shyt up so that people quit on their own. They changed from a profit sharing plan for the 401K to a basic match. We used to get up to 15% salary match paid directly to our 401K each year which we usually hit to matching 4% for every 5% put in. They forced anyone that lived within an hour of the office to switch to coming into the office even if they were remote before the pandemic. After a mass exodus they just keep adding more and more duties to existing employees. I had so many people from that company hitting me up asking about openings at my current spot.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
No more job security nowadays. Shareholders want a bigger cut, and they'll gut a whole engineering team in order to see a momentary bump in stock prices, even if it means that it'll bring ruin in the long term.

It's time to start thinking more like a mercenary, and less as an employee. You offer your skills to the highest bidder. Problem is that most people have to fill in the hole left empty after academia. We're so used to the cohort style of daily activities where you see the same people everyday from kindergarten to college.

We end up using the office as a means to fulfill that need for a cohort. That's why people would date and befriend coworkers, and probably why it's so hard to leave for a better situation with higher pay. That kind of shakeup is jarring if you dont have a "third place" of some kind betwee home and the office. Understand there is no company family, there is no team, it's just you and a bunch other people who work on a shared objective.

The name of the game is acquire the funds to not be beholden to whoever is signing your checks. Save money, avoid consumerism debt traps, look into a plan for FI/RE. The system's plan is to keep you in the hamster wheel, in need of their money.

If you're a young single adult with time, energy,and extra funds, look into starting your own shyt on the side. It doesn't even have to cover all the bills, just having extra streams of income will give you more leverage.
This happened at both my old and new company. Both companies shorted their employees on raises due to uncertainty financially for the immediate future while paying out a crazy amount in dividends and share buybacks. The old company I know for sure spent 26 million alone in a special dividend and 20 million in share buybacks. In both instances people brought it up to the CEO during a town hall and both gave the same answer, you have to keep shareholders happy to attract more investors and that the shareholders own the company so it's their money to decide what to do with the profits. Basically saying fukk the people who kept the company running and take on more and more responsibilities as employees have been jumping ship.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
i read a conspiracy theory that they used the pandemic and consequent hiring spree to scale up operations in other countries, and then when the bubble burst down size in the USA

a snealy way to off shore jobs
This makes a lot of sense
I wonder is there a way to track companies employees and their locations

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's a new era. You are a slave to your company's shareholders. Every quarter, hold your breath. If the numbers don't meet lofty expectations, they will lay people off to appease shareholders. Even companies that do well find themselves still laying people off for that reason. That's why yo do YOU. No loyalty for employers. My linkedin blowing up with entire departments getting canned. It's not about getting rid of low performers anymore. They're getting rid of good workers. As long as the Fed keeps it up we will see more tech companies cut staff. I think we will see all the staff hired from the pandemic get cut. They will get back to pre-pandemic headcount.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
On my LinkedIN feed, I see people saying they got laid off 2x in 2022 from tech companies. Even though it's a mindfukk, that's alot of cash and equity in severance to hit your account and keep you cushy for a bit
How much severance can you get with less than a year service? I figure they're getting a couple weeks worth?

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Funny enough, I just accepted an offer with a healthcare tech company

These layoffs are hitting recruiters the worst, I'm seeing folks that I was in contact around Nov/Dec with for open roles that are now posting about their own layoffs.
:ufdup:

I work in healthcare. I’ll be sending you my resume.

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
How much severance can you get with less than a year service? I figure they're getting a couple weeks worth?
Every company has a standard severance package for layoffs as soon as you start on day 1. Sometimes companies offer more than that if they can afford it.

Most generous I saw was like 5 months of base salary plus 3 months of equity vesting.

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
welcome to healthcare

:ufdup:

I work in healthcare. I’ll be sending you my resume.

It's a tech company, but it's product is a healthcare software platform.

I would not work in straight up healthcare, stable but no financial upside. At this point in my career, I need stock to be part of the pay package.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Every company has a standard severance package for layoffs as soon as you start on day 1. Sometimes companies offer more than that if they can afford it.

Most generous I saw was like 5 months of base salary plus 3 months of equity vesting.

I thought US companies gave crap severances?