Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
Sorry to hear breh. My company gave everyone 2-3 months of severance, plus paying Cobra for up to 6 months. That shyt is unheard of outside of tech in the states.
On my LinkedIN feed, I see people saying they got laid off 2x in 2022 from tech companies. Even though it's a mindfukk, that's alot of cash and equity in severance to hit your account and keep you cushy for a bit

Killah Ray

Carolina hail to thee....
Daps
Tech is pretty much in the same bubble as healthcare especially if you have experience...you can always land on your feet somewhere making relatively the same if not more at the next job...

Only advantage I give to healthcare, is that it's easier to enter no matter the economy....

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.

Layoff rates are actually low compared to pre-pandemic years, Nick Bunker, economic research director for North America at the Indeed Hiring Lab, recently told Fortune.

And the tech sector accounts for a “small share” of overall U.S. employment. So it stands to reason that other non-tech companies are perhaps doing better on the layoff front.

lib123

All Star
Daps
Was anyone on here in tech after the dot com bubble burst in the early 2000s? If so, how did that bust impact you?

BigBlackSea

All Star
Daps
No more job security nowadays. Shareholders want a bigger cut, and they'll gut a whole engineering team in order to see a momentary bump in stock prices, even if it means that it'll bring ruin in the long term.

It's time to start thinking more like a mercenary, and less as an employee. You offer your skills to the highest bidder. Problem is that most people have to fill in the hole left empty after academia. We're so used to the cohort style of daily activities where you see the same people everyday from kindergarten to college.

We end up using the office as a means to fulfill that need for a cohort. That's why people would date and befriend coworkers, and probably why it's so hard to leave for a better situation with higher pay. That kind of shakeup is jarring if you dont have a "third place" of some kind betwee home and the office. Understand there is no company family, there is no team, it's just you and a bunch other people who work on a shared objective.

The name of the game is acquire the funds to not be beholden to whoever is signing your checks. Save money, avoid consumerism debt traps, look into a plan for FI/RE. The system's plan is to keep you in the hamster wheel, in need of their money.

If you're a young single adult with time, energy,and extra funds, look into starting your own shyt on the side. It doesn't even have to cover all the bills, just having extra streams of income will give you more leverage.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
No more job security nowadays. Shareholders want a bigger cut, and they'll gut a whole engineering team in order to see a momentary bump in stock prices, even if it means that it'll bring ruin in the long term.

It's time to start thinking more like a mercenary, and less as an employee. You offer your skills to the highest bidder. Problem is that most people have to fill in the hole left empty after academia. We're so used to the cohort style of daily activities where you see the same people everyday from kindergarten to college.

We end up using the office as a means to fulfill that need for a cohort. That's why people would date and befriend coworkers, and probably why it's so hard to leave for a better situation with higher pay. That kind of shakeup is jarring if you dont have a "third place" of some kind betwee home and the office. Understand there is no company family, there is no team, it's just you and a bunch other people who work on a shared objective.

The name of the game is acquire the funds to not be beholden to whoever is signing your checks. Save money, avoid consumerism debt traps, look into a plan for FI/RE. The system's plan is to keep you in the hamster wheel, in need of their money.

If you're a young single adult with time, energy,and extra funds, look into starting your own shyt on the side. It doesn't even have to cover all the bills, just having extra streams of income will give you more leverage.

Dapped and repped.

If you're into tech, realize that no situation is permanent. Focus on building your skillset, grabbing your certs, and keeping your LinkedIn current. Realize these dummy companies will fire an entire floor of developers and turn around and hire contractors being paid $350/hr. Make sure that regardless, you're getting paid, because someone on this earth needs you and will pay top dollar.

And stack. Flood your retirement and investment accounts. Have a plan to get out this rat race. OE if needed to get ahead.

Definitely start your own shyt on the side if you can. Companies realize how empowering that is to employees, that's why they call it "conflicts of interest" :pachaha:

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
This thread is always an eye opener for me. Used to do healthcare IT before I transitioned to what I'm doing now.. sometimes when I'm having a really chitty day and thinking "well if worst comes to worse I could just go back to that"

But the industry seems not stable in the slightest. Depending on severance packages and things to get by. I feel for career people in the industry, keep pushing

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
Tech is pretty much in the same bubble as healthcare especially if you have experience...you can always land on your feet somewhere making relatively the same if not more at the next job...

Only advantage I give to healthcare, is that it's easier to enter no matter the economy....

Funny enough, I just accepted an offer with a healthcare tech company

These layoffs are hitting recruiters the worst, I'm seeing folks that I was in contact around Nov/Dec with for open roles that are now posting about their own layoffs.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i read a conspiracy theory that they used the pandemic and consequent hiring spree to scale up operations in other countries, and then when the bubble burst down size in the USA

a snealy way to off shore jobs