Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
If you haven't, I really, REALLY suggest you expand your internet footprint.
You should have an indeed account, linkedIn account, MadeIn Account, Levels.fyi account etc.
You should also be tailoring your education and work experience towards where you want to go
(mines is built around Engineering/Project Management/Data Science).

This was a cold call and initial talk, I have niche experience related to my day-to-day + my educational background + work experience.
It set me apart enough for a recruiter to reach out to me for my dream dig.

And yes, it's for a Tech Role.

I'm reaching out to someone for consultation on how best to pass an interview if I make it to the interview stage.

If I do land the role, I'll present proof and of course write a more detailed post of how I got there.

Nah. You ain't gonna have nothing but Indians calling you all damn day and night.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. You ain't gonna have nothing but Indians calling you all damn day and night.
It's worth it IMO.

I've gotten interviews and opportunities thrown my way by doing this.

They never call me though, they do however, reach out via email or through job boards.

Again, if I get my $300k/yr gig, I'll post proof and continue to drop game.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
It's worth it IMO.

I've gotten interviews and opportunities thrown my way by doing this.

They never call me though, they do however, reach out via email or through job boards.

Again, if I get my $300k/yr gig, I'll post proof and continue to drop game.

Must be nice. Just yesterday I got 3 spam text about jobs. I've lost count how much this happens during a week.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
As much as I want to celebrate this, I feel really bad for those working under him. I don't know how any one can be productive there with everything he's doing.
Don’t.
Anyone still there after those initial lay offs chose their destiny.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

In a leaked recording, Amazon cloud chief tells employees that most developers could stop coding soon as AI takes over​

Eugene Kim

Listen

04:18 min

Happy cloud with Amazon logo on it.

Amazon; Getty Images; Tyler Le/BI

• AWS CEO Matt Garman shared thoughts on AI during an internal fireside chat in June.
  • Business Insider obtained a recording of the meeting.
  • Garman's comments were a kind of advisory nudge rather than a dire warning to software engineers.

Software engineers may have to develop other skills soon as artificial intelligence takes over many coding tasks.

That's according to Amazon Web Services' CEO, Matt Garman, who shared his thoughts on the topic during an internal fireside chat held in June, according to a recording of the meeting obtained by Business Insider.

"If you go forward 24 months from now, or some amount of time — I can't exactly predict where it is — it's possible that most developers are not coding," said Garman, who became AWS's CEO in June.

"Coding is just kind of like the language that we talk to computers. It's not necessarily the skill in and of itself," the executive said. "The skill in and of itself is like, how do I innovate? How do I go build something that's interesting for my end users to use?"

This means the job of a software developer will change, Garman said.

"It just means that each of us has to get more in tune with what our customers need and what the actual end thing is that we're going to try to go build, because that's going to be more and more of what the work is as opposed to sitting down and actually writing code," he said.

No dire warning​

Talk of AI changing and even eliminating jobs has intensified lately as companies lay off employees or stop hiring to shift resources toward AI development. New AI tools that automatically generate code can help companies do more with the same number of engineers or fewer of these pricey employees. AWS laid off hundreds of employees earlier this year.

In Garman's case, he was sharing advice rather than issuing a dire warning that developers will go extinct because of AI. His tone was optimistic, suggesting more creative opportunities for developers. He said AWS was helping employees "continue to upskill and learn about new technologies" to increase their productivity with the help of AI.

"Being a developer in 2025 may be different than what it was as a developer in 2020," Garman added.

No more 'undifferentiated heavy lifting'​

An AWS spokesperson, Aisha Johnson, told BI that Garman's comments conveyed opportunities for developers to "accomplish more than they do today" with new AI tools. She added that there was no indication he expected a decline in the role of developers.

"Matt articulated a vision for how AWS will continue to remove undifferentiated heavy lifting from the developer experience so that builders can focus more of their skills and energy on the most innovative work," Johnson said in a statement.

'Everyone is a programmer now'​

Garman isn't the first high-profile executive to predict this type of AI-driven change in developer jobs.

Nvidia's CEO, Jensen Huang, has said that "everyone is a programmer now" because of new AI coding assistants.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has speculated that easier access to AI technologies will create 1 billion developers.

Emad Mostaque, Stability AI's former CEO, even predicted that there would be "no programmers in five years."

A new AI workflow​

During Garman's talk, he told employees to find new ways to incorporate AI into their workflow.

For instance, he said the software maker Smartsheet recently embedded AI features from Amazon's Q chatbot into a Slack channel that answers employee questions about internal policies and documentation.

"A lot of times we think about customers, which is great, but I'd also encourage everybody internally to think about how you are just completely changing what you're doing," Garman said.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
"Coding is just kind of like the language that we talk to computers. It's not necessarily the skill in and of itself," the executive said. "The skill in and of itself is like, how do I innovate? How do I go build something that's interesting for my end users to use?"
:russell: standard business speak trying to sell some poor sap a bag full of lies.

Spence

Superstar
Daps

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
do tech workers need to form a super pac or something
all these layoffs and it barely seems like a political topic leading up to an election

This company wants me to do a HireVue interview. Never done one before, sounds like you're basically making an audition tape.
the market is bad so do what you got to do breh but my general rule is I'm not doing any interview where the other side doesn't have equal time investment
Imagine doing one of these HireVue interviews or god forbid a 10+ hr take home assignment for a ghost job :dead:
If you are sw engineer the time investment for leetcode and system design prep is already ridiculous the least the company can do is invest the hourly rate of one of their resources

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

UpNext

Superstar
Daps