Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Getting past these resume screeners for an interview is definitely issue. Do we have any tips or tidbits about crafting a good resume?
I was going over my resume today and realized some of my bullet points sucked and didn't actually convey my impact and experience well.
How do you guys normally go about getting your resume reviewed?
Actually list the technical work you did.

- migrated x servers to the cloud (aws)
- wrote automation plug-ins in xxx languages
- utilize Splunk regularly to investigate root causes of application/database outages
- built several dashboards in Splunk for various teams

An employer sees this something like the above, you’ll get the interview. This conveys you are technical and will actively participate in reducing/alleviating their workload.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island

Yup. The PIP was the company getting all the ducks in the row so someone can't claim they were wrongfully terminated. When you get that ya ass is already fired.

Has anyone here ever been PIP'd before?
They say PIP stands for Paid Interview Prep, but assuming you have actual responsibilities in a team environment how does that work in practice?
Like do you come to stand up and just give the same updates, do you just completely ignore the tasks outlined in the PIP? Surely the company will peep what you are doing and cut the PIP short right?

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They say PIP stands for Paid Interview Prep, but assuming you have actual responsibilities in a team environment how does that work in practice?
Like do you come to stand up and just give the same updates, do you just completely ignore the tasks outlined in the PIP? Surely the company will peep what you are doing and cut the PIP short right?

High achievers don’t get PIPed. So the answer is no.

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
When I was OE I got out on a pip by my J1. It’s cool because I had just gotten my J2 which paid more. I left a few months later.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

We let someone go from our team, a couple months ago. Didn’t backfill the position.

We basically automated her tasks because she was doing a lot repetitive motions with spreadsheets and manually sending data to the database the long way.

Basically she was a quasi data engineer / analyst who couldn’t make tables in sql 3 years into the job. :dahell:

This all happened during a quiet restructuring. Now all our projects are mainstream for the C-Suite executives to analyze. We are a small team doing more with less right now.

Some of y’all know where I work. So the scale is fairly big for what we touch.

I say all this to say. What happened at crowdstrike isn’t that surprising.

And most of know, some variation of an overtasked analyst / engineer is one press away from having a similar outcome within our enterprise.

When crowdstrike went down, we all saw how fragile all of the tech infrastructure is. And it doesn’t get easier with more roles being “automated”, along with the doing more with less help, along with deadlines that need to be completed like yesterday.

A few people, are gatekeepers of entire projects that are vital to various enterprises.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I’m bearish on that, we need a lot more than a measly .25% base point cut if spending is going to truly be turned back on. My hopes would be base cuts each month leading to large spending and good vibes into the holiday season. I could use a fat ass bonus this year.
We all could :manny:

My bonus secured though.

Finished the FY way in the green :whew:

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Actually list the technical work you did.

- migrated x servers to the cloud (aws)
- wrote automation plug-ins in xxx languages
- utilize Splunk regularly to investigate root causes of application/database outages
- built several dashboards in Splunk for various teams

An employer sees this something like the above, you’ll get the interview. This conveys you are technical and will actively participate in reducing/alleviating their workload.

Too add on...
@Software
Everyone has technical skills, but not everyone articulates their value on their resume, especially their impact on REVENUE and CUSTOMERS/CLIENTS. When composing your resume, make sure it's focused on MONEY—how you're helping the company make or save money.

Just ChatGPT some examples

KvQJWvR.png