Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

Yeah I’ve been getting hit up a lot too.

The new financial year just started for a lot of companies/ industries.

As it picks up again, I don’t blame people who were laid off for continuing to apply to other gigs and work out doing OE.

Ive been lucky to maintain my steady gig but these companies aren’t loyal. We all have family and friends that depend on us. And being let go because some incompetency in the C-Suite position isn’t the wave.

I still continue to remind brehs, the goal should be semi retired or not dependent on a company by 2030.

I don’t think big tech is going anywhere but there’s a big problem and disconnect between us engineers in the trenches and the c-suite executives.

AI is still way ahead of its time. And data, garbage in, garbage out. Your models are useless if they’re trained on bad data practices.

If you know you know.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I think I talked about on here how at our company we were told that our cost of living raises were going to be cut in half. Meanwhile the guy who was delivering the message got a 30% bump and a bunch of other execs between 10-30%. Their reasoning being that they had to keep up with market rates for those positions.
Unbelievable

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I give her credit for finessing such a huge non-technical role salary.
:ehh:
Job hoppers are still up on employers.

I quadrupled my Big Tech salary by changing jobs 8 times. I learned how to negotiate pay and when to walk away.​

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Hang on brehs, do what you gotta do to @Secure Da Bag in this environment

so this was caused by a bad job report, which the corporations/market caused
it's expected they'll get rewarded for that with a .25-.50% rate cut by the Fed soon since inflation is under control and hiring needs to pick back up
was wondering if this would lead to more layoffs (fukking up the jobs report even more) or can they wait a couple months for the rate cut

goes without saying but IANAE

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
Too add on...
@Software
Everyone has technical skills, but not everyone articulates their value on their resume, especially their impact on REVENUE and CUSTOMERS/CLIENTS. When composing your resume, make sure it's focused on MONEY—how you're helping the company make or save money.

Just ChatGPT some examples

KvQJWvR.png
Great post thank you! It's very nice to see examples. Thank you @Obreh Winfrey for the tip about building the resume from scratch to parse through ATS properly. It's frustrating when you have the skills and you've done the interview prep work but you aren't getting to the phone screen/coding assessment.
I just watched Bukola video today where she mentioned using ChatGPT to summarize her resume into bullet points for Linkedin
My linkedin just had dates and company names and honestly that was good enough, but like you said now is a different landscape so I just ChatGPT'd my resume and updated my details

I need to work on coming up with numbers, might just make some percentages up. I do have hard numbers for a Kafka statestore to AWS DynamoDB migration I'm doing right now
Do you mind posting a link to the video?

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great post thank you! It's very nice to see examples. Thank you @Obreh Winfrey for the tip about building the resume from scratch to parse through ATS properly. It's frustrating when you have the skills and you've done the interview prep work but you aren't getting to the phone screen/coding assessment.

Do you mind posting a link to the video?

For coding assessment/technical->
You still gotta crush it
a)vocally or visualize structure your thought process
b)understand the value 'WHY' of the question/project
c)align the value 'WHY' of the question/project with company STRATEGY AND/OR REVENUE

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Thank god im unemployed... dont gotta stress about gettin laid off :wow:

Post count checks out.

For the market not worried much at all. Market reacted to a bad jobs report, everyone’s been expecting unemployment increase and waiting for the Fed to hit that first cut, everyone has been expecting September as the first cut. I just invest I don’t fukk w/ options, so personally this is all expected and fine

lib123

All Star
Daps
Given that most of you are older, did any of you work in tech during the dot-com bubble and subsequent bust? I'm young but I have family that was in tech back then.