Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Basically spread yourself thin hoping somebody notices :mjcry:
To be real that is how I moved up quick and got to where I am. It involved a lot of luck admittedly as not all companies or managers appreciate that shyt. Some managers see the go getter and see it as competition and will find ways to keep them down to keep their own spot secure.

Long story short for me, I got a help desk job working the campus computer desks. I'm not even sure how I got that job as I had no previous experience working with computers and was damn near the only one out of over 100 employees not studying something involving computers. We were doing an orientation event where we all would work with one student at a time. I figured out a way to work with three at a time which caught the eye of a director working the event. She had me apply for a promotion to supervisor which I ended up getting.

I used that experience to eventually get a job as software support. Within a year got bumped to assistant manager and in two years manager. That mainly happened due to me going above and beyond by teaching myself SQL, basic networking, and 3rd party software which freed our dev team and IT team up to work on other stuff. Eventually any time we discovered a new department the company was missing they'd have me lead it.

I was lucky as hell though because we were a really small company and the owner of the company was hands on enough to see the extra work I was putting in. He was also a very employee-friendly owner. So he would just give raises out of the blue. He'd give nice ass bonuses. At one point pulled me aside and gave me the talk about how in most companies 10% of the people do 90% of the work. He told me that me and one other guy were that 10% so that's why he always took care of me.

I signed on for 25K, when I went in for my 3 month review he told me I had already been bumped up to 27 and then gave another raise for the three month. By my second full year I had made 54 and within another two years was making 70+. Raises slowed when we were sold to a corporation. Even after selling to the corporation he moved me and the other guy into being product managers directly under him and functioning as our own department.

All of that without any certs, STEM degrees, or any previous experience. Just me grinding lead to me being promoted ahead all of these people with a lot more experience all who were older than me. Add on I was the only minority in the company. Now once we sold to the corporation all that shyt changed. Then it didn't matter how much work you did as it all became about politics and self-promotion. Add in dealing with some racist a$$holes and my career completely stagnated.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Why is everyone so entitled to remote work nowadays? Yeah it’s cool but for decades the standard has been that you come into the office only up until recently.
Because the pandemic showed it's not necessary to continue doing good work :unimpressed: . Ain't nobody saying people who want to go back into the office can't do it, just leave us refined individuals out of it :unimpressed: . I don't need to be hit with a tidal wave of curry smell at lunch time, or listen to low hygiene white folks hack and cough half the day, or listen to remedial people with terrible volume control shout into their microphone, or go in just to get on a Teams call that I could have stayed home and taken all the same :unimpressed:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Why is everyone so entitled to remote work nowadays? Yeah it’s cool but for decades the standard has been that you come into the office only up until recently.
I'm speaking from a privileged place because I have worked remote for 15 years at this point. At my old company me and one other guy were allowed to work remote. That only happened because we had proven ourselves as being valuable and irreplaceable. We had put years in on the road and traveling to big installs and leading all of our big projects. The company couldn't afford to lose us. It pissed me off to find out some of the other employees were bytching about us being allowed to work remotely because they weren't allowed to. The same employees that never traveled, constantly dodged assignments, and had limited skillsets.

I came at it from the mentality of proving myself invaluable and then making demands while I noticed the younger generation came in making demands even though they weren't an asset to the company yet.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps

Facts. I tell my daughter or any younger students to put in work if they go to college to try and secure an internship or to find companies that work with the school while still in school to get their foot in the door. Once you graduate and don't have that in line it becomes exponentially harder to get a job without the hookup to get a foot in the door.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Depends on which types. “HR” is an all encompassing term now. Lower level TA :camby:

HRBP which is what I aspire to be is actually the ones calling the shots on who to let go in tandem with senior leadership and then having to be the ones to carry out orders themselves or delegate to direct subordinates to execute the firings/lay offs. At some point I’ll be in the room when those decisions are made or be the one directly consulting.

Would something like a SHRM-SCP certification be useful for that endeavor?

Was thinking of having one in my back pocket since it (SHRM) is apparently highly touted in HR circles.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Would something like a SHRM-SCP certification be useful for that endeavor?

Was thinking of having one in my back pocket since it (SHRM) is apparently highly touted in HR circles.
I think it’s a waste of time and money honestly. Unless you are trying to be an HR generalist it’s just a worthless piece of paper.

Only the ones that have it see any value in it but if you have skills and background that’s shines a lot more than an shrm

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs Harris wins, DEI is coming back
I'm not so sure it's the same DEI that favors black people. I remember when she was pushing hard for more H1bs. And they probably already scrubbed the Internet of the video of her promising people in India tangibles.

US vice-presidential candidate Kamala Harris on H-1B visas​

"Kamala Harris had said that she was in favour of lifting the per-country ceiling on employment-based green cards available for immigrant workers (H1-B visas)".