Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

What some people (especially non-tech people) don't seem to understand.

Overall a good thread. When rates decrease we'll see another glow up of the industry. It's as simple as that.

Keep you skills up-to-date and keep them sharp for when that time comes. Then go after some pockets.

Skimmed that comment but yeah the novelty of ChatGPT and the like runs out quick. We have an internal implementation and I hardly touch it. It did good on documentation a couple of times and then it became more of a hindrance than anything. Even personally, I had made my own GPT for a specific purpose and the cracks began to appear quickly. It's been useful for mundane activities but nothing needing complex thought.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Skimmed that comment but yeah the novelty of ChatGPT and the like runs out quick. We have an internal implementation and I hardly touch it. It did good on documentation a couple of times and then it became more of a hindrance than anything. Even personally, I had made my own GPT for a specific purpose and the cracks began to appear quickly. It's been useful for mundane activities but nothing needing complex thought.
This whole thing reminds me of when cloud tech became a thing and every corp was going to be virtual(hardware) in 2017 :francis:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Yeah, I feel like the hype from the last two years has faded pretty quick as well.

Like there's a baseline you can use it for, but when you get more complex you get far more skeptical of it's answers.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

What some people (especially non-tech people) don't seem to understand.

Overall a good thread. When rates decrease we'll see another glow up of the industry. It's as simple as that.

Keep you skills up-to-date and keep them sharp for when that time comes. Then go after some pockets.

The only LLM I see people complaining about model regression are in reference to commercial offerings like chatgpt and claude due to safety in reinforcement learning. A.i cannibalism is a potential problem but not one that's certain to negatively impact LLM. industry AI leaders don't even think AGI is decades away.

1/11
Google DeepMind published a new research introducing JEST.

They claim new AI training tech is 13x faster and 10x more power efficient.

It's quite long, so I made a quick recap:

#1 → Importance of Data Quality

2/11
Data quality is crucial for effective large-scale pertaining.

Manual curation is expensive and hard to scale, making model-based data curation a promising alternative.

JEST is a method that accelerates AI model training while reducing computing requirements.

3/11
#2 → JEST Algorithm Overview

"Joint Example Selection Technique" selects data batches based on their joint learnability.

It speeds up training more than selecting individual data points.

JEST uses multimodal contrastive objectives to improve efficiency and performance.

4/11
#3 → Efficiency and Performance Gains

JEST greatly boosts efficiency and performance in training AI models.

It reduces the number of training iterations needed by up to 13 times.

Model approximation techniques are used to score data more efficiently.

5/11
#4 → Flexi-JEST & Multi-resolution training

Flexi-JEST extends it by using multi-resolution training to reduce costs.

It trains a model at different resolutions to find & learn from the most useful data.

It keeps efficiency gains high while lowering overhead.

6/11
#5 → Data Quality Bootstrapping

JEST reduce the energy needed to train AI models, which is important as AI's high energy use is being closely watched.

Faster training means new, advanced AI models can be developed & released quickly.

Last thing before you scroll away:

7/11
I run tests on LLMs like chatgpt, gemini & claude to help me create content.

Check @rubenhssd for more.

It's me :smile: I'm ruben

If you'd like to support me, a like or a simple RT helps me for free

8/11
Love to read the key insights!

9/11
Epic insights!

10/11
banger

11/11
this is crazy

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GSDWeVWWoAAlUj3.png

GSDWfWjWcAA3zoO.jpg

GSDWgOlawAA3fkF.jpg

GSDWhBFXYAAdDwd.jpg

GSDWiGUXIAAEdip.jpg

GSDWi51WQAEZVUu.jpg

GSDWeVWWoAAlUj3.png

1/1
In April we published a paper on a new training approach for better & faster LLMs using multi-token prediction. To enable further exploration by researchers, we’ve released pre-trained models for code completion using this approach on
@HuggingFace

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

1/1
Welcome Multi Token Prediction: Get up to 3-5x tokens/ sec from your llamas!

Kudos to Meta for continuing its commitment to open science

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
we gotta stop this black people stuff and focus on black men. I`m sorry but nobody is focusing on Black men, Black Women get an out via DEI and if we are being real when they were taking advantage of it very rarely if ever did they pull up black men to get into the door after them it was always "sistas" only or women empowerment.

Black men are the one in the streets with nowhere to go, black men are the ones in prison at crazy numbers, black men are the ones not in college, black men are the ones being killed by police.

Black Men need to be preparing for where the world is going and build for ourselves, thus nobody can leech of us to boost themselves up.

Bruh! That shyt is ALL OVER LinkedIn.

I'm all for brehettes helping out young black women, that shyt is dope.
But equivalent groups and programs practically DO NOT exists for young Black Men.

I think this is something I want to focus on next, I want to find some like-minded brehs first but if
I can't fukk it, I'll put everything together myself.

This shyt is so important!!

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is why I tell cats like this is to get into or have some type of windows sys admin experience because those types of roles are the ones that go first.
That, some Azure/AWS experience, and a bit of Linux is key.

That said I just copped an interview and might be able to speak truth to power soon. Sys Admin experience can be parlayed a bunch of ways into other things.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The only LLM I see people complaining about model regression are in reference to commercial offerings like chatgpt and claude due to safety in reinforcement learning. A.i cannibalism is a potential problem but not one that's certain to negatively impact LLM. industry AI leaders don't even think AGI is decades away.
I think it's fair to say that the professionals that work in these industries should have access to some of the others then. I'll go as far as to say many have probably had access to shinier LLM's and setting them up yet for their company yet are still unimpressed.

Many CEO's have pushed A.I so hard and have no doubt had their best and brightest research some cutting edge ones already and to try and put them to use in order to monetize something. People are definitely getting a glimpse of it's current capabilities and I'm pretty sure many are unimpressed.

I've definitely seen some leading experts say they don't think AGI will be year for another 30 years as well.

What's crazy is it's almost been 2 years from ChatGPT hitting the public. We're about 4 months away from November 2022 when it first dropped.

I know a lot of people in 2022 were saying the world will be in total chaos by now with A.I taking everyone's jobs by January 2025 and the economy on the brink of collapse with nobody having jobs anymore, yet here we are.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Exclusive: Intuit is laying off 1,800 employees as AI leads to a strategic shift​

Goodarzi explains that Intuit’s transformation journey, including departing from the 1,800 employees, is part of its strategy to increase investments in priority focus areas of AI and generative AI, such as its GenAI-powered financial assistant called Intuit Assist, and reimagining its products from traditional workflows to AI-native experiences. The strategy also focuses on money movement, mid-market expansion for small businesses, and international growth.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Exclusive: Intuit is laying off 1,800 employees as AI leads to a strategic shift​

Goodarzi explains that Intuit’s transformation journey, including departing from the 1,800 employees, is part of its strategy to increase investments in priority focus areas of AI and generative AI, such as its GenAI-powered financial assistant called Intuit Assist, and reimagining its products from traditional workflows to AI-native experiences. The strategy also focuses on money movement, mid-market expansion for small businesses, and international growth.

they definitely gonna lay off more this year. :francis:

snippet:

Consumers will find it easier than ever to manage and improve their financial lives. They’ll be able to get personalized recommendations throughout the year, with actions they can take to maximize their tax refund and accurately file taxes in record time with TurboTax. And they’ll be given the tools to make smart money decisions throughout their financial journey with Credit Karma. For example:

• Intuit Assist for TurboTax - Underpinned by Intuit’s decades of tax domain expertise, rich data, and proprietary, AI-powered Tax Knowledge Engine, Intuit Assist will work alongside tax filers of any income or complexity, helping them every step of the way. It will get to know a consumer’s individual tax situation and apply its knowledge, navigating the tax code, including the latest changes. This will help reduce tax preparation time and help consumers gain faster access to refunds, with complete confidence that their taxes are done accurately.

At the start of the tax preparation process, Intuit Assist will create a personalized tax checklist based on data the customer shares, enabling TurboTax and human tax experts to leverage the power of AI to proactively provide fast answers, personalized insights, and recommendations. In TurboTax Live, Intuit Assist will work alongside the experts to help them serve customers even more efficiently. Intuit Assist will augment tax experts’ knowledge with fast, personalized answers based on aggregated, data-driven insights, reducing the time spent searching, finding, and synthesizing responses for customers.

Whether a customer is filing on their own in TurboTax or working with a tax expert assisted by AI in TurboTax Live, Intuit Assist will unlock new value in TurboTax. Intuit Assist is available to customers now, with enhancements rolling out in the coming months for the 2023 tax season. More information is available here.
  • Intuit Assist for Credit Karma - Credit Karma members will be able to use Intuit Assist to get highly personalized answers to their money questions. When a member comes to Credit Karma with a question about how to manage their finances, they aren’t met with a generic response. Instead, Intuit Assist will be able to connect the dots for members and provide personalized assistance based on their own financial data. This is what Intuit Assist does best: it will identify the right opportunities at the right time and make relevant recommendations, so members can take advantage of better financial products and optimize their spending. By helping members contextualize and understand their finances through two-way conversations, Intuit Assist will empower members to confidently take action, or give it permission to take action on their behalf. Take the example of a member who has connected their accounts, lives paycheck to paycheck, and has an unexpected expense, such as a car breakdown costing them hundreds of dollars. Intuit Assist will notify the member that they’re running low on cash for the month and help formulate a plan to avoid a cash crunch. It will provide a personalized set of financing options, enable the member to clearly assess their options and tradeoffs, and empower them to apply for the product that’s right for them. This can help the member find ways to cover their upcoming expenses until their next paycheck. Intuit Assist is now available to select US members and will become available more widely in the coming months. More information is available here.

Small businesses will grow and thrive using QuickBooks and Mailchimp to run their business end to end and engage their customers with powerful marketing tools, all available with the click of a button. Whether starting up or scaling up, small businesses will have more time to do the work they love in service to their customers. For example:

• Intuit Assist for QuickBooks - Intuit Assist will tip the odds of success in favor of small businesses, providing guidance on how to adapt, react, and make informed business decisions. From surfacing cash flow hot spots to identifying top-selling products and spending anomalies, small businesses will have access to AI-powered assistance that unearths relevant insights based on their business performance and their customers’ behavior. For example, Intuit Assist will be able to deliver deep insights based on simple requests or questions such as “show me my profit and loss for last month” or “how many of my invoices are overdue?” It will dynamically predict follow-up questions and answer in clear, natural language.

For small and mid-size businesses not yet using QuickBooks, Intuit Assist will revolutionize how they get started, automatically importing data from their website into QuickBooks to personalize the business’s profile. It will take on day-to-day tasks, such as generating invoice reminders, which can be customized to be more friendly in tone or shorter in length. In QuickBooks Live, Intuit Assist will work alongside human bookkeeping and tax experts to help them serve more customers even more efficiently. Intuit Assist is now live to select beta customers and will roll out to all U.S. QuickBooks customers in the coming months. More information is available here.
  • Intuit Assist for Mailchimp - Small businesses, entrepreneurs, and marketers at any size business can direct Intuit Assist to do more of their marketing. As their new GenAI assistant, it will help them personalize marketing at scale and make data-backed decisions to measure, fine-tune, and optimize campaign effectiveness. For example, Intuit Assist will help them create an entire marketing campaign based on a brand's identity and marketing intent, targeted toward a specific audience. With a few clicks it will change the tone, the text, the image, or generate something totally new based on the guidance it’s given and the information it has from its rich, relevant data sets. Once customers are happy with the campaign, they can schedule it to be sent, and it will be added to the company’s marketing calendar. Intuit Assist for Mailchimp will then surface a follow-up action plan to ensure high campaign engagement. It will also generate automated draft email content in their Mailchimp inbox using product and service data from QuickBooks. For businesses with longer sales cycles or lead qualification processes, Intuit Assist will automatically add a customer to their Mailchimp sales pipeline for easy tracking of the customer life cycle, from lead to sale. This helps them prioritize leads and automate follow-ups so that they can take on higher-value clients and more profitable work. Intuit Assist is now live to select Mailchimp customers and will roll out more widely in the coming months. More information is available here.

Intuit’s Proprietary Generative AI Operating System (GenOS) Enables Rapid Innovation Intuit Assist was developed using the company’s proprietary GenAI operating system ( GenOS), and is designed to run with our own financial large language models (LLMs) that are fine-tuned to solve tax, accounting, cash flow, personal finance, and marketing challenges. Intuit’s GenOS empowers Intuit technologists to design, build, and deploy breakthrough GenAI experiences, such as Intuit Assist, to fuel rapid innovation at scale across Intuit’s products and services to solve its customers’ most important financial problems and drive durable growth.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
From my experience most layoffs have been non-technical.

If anything, I'd be weary of taking jobs in the tech industry if I don't have a technical role. It's obvious these companies will favor those roles the most.

I'm not saying not join, but join with caution and backup plans ready. The closer you work with the technical team, the better. Additionally, try to get on a team with importance to the company.

Outside of that just make sure to capitalize when the rates drop because they'll start hiring everybody and anybody again.

Last edited: