Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We let someone go a couple weeks back. She was the least technical person on the squad. Also lied on her resume.

Well for 3 years they didn’t notice they she wasn’t independently working on her own

What exactly does that mean?
-Relying on support from vendors
-Having colleagues do her work
-Subcontracting her deliverables lol

And how y'all found out?

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
What exactly does that mean?
-Relying on support from vendors
-Having colleagues do her work
-Subcontracting her deliverables lol

And how y'all found out?
Colleagues doing her work.

Basically problem would present itself. She would literally just play colleagues against each other in 1vs1 to figure the solution

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

count your blessings. I remember years ago I applied for the job I have now, had two interviews, written test, got glowing recommendations and the manager hired someone external. 2 years later the guy they hired was leaving and I applied again . This time the former manager was gone and the role was now changed to a higher pay grade. I applied and during the interview the hiring manager said not wasting your time and just offered me the position.

Taught me a valuable lesson in life, if I was hired back then I might have failed working under that former manager, or if i was hired back then they never would have changed the role and I'd be making way less than I am right now.

yes being rejected sucks but sometimes its for the best.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
The same dudes that were firing folks for years and sleeping soundly now get them thangs dropped on em, but meh dudes were prob making 3-400k and will get a nice big severance and be hired in a few months as a vp or president or to some cushy board
Lol VPs in Big tech getting Millioms brehs not 3-400k

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
count your blessings. I remember years ago I applied for the job I have now, had two interviews, written test, got glowing recommendations and the manager hired someone external. 2 years later the guy they hired was leaving and I applied again . This time the former manager was gone and the role was now changed to a higher pay grade. I applied and during the interview the hiring manager said not wasting your time and just offered me the position.

Taught me a valuable lesson in life, if I was hired back then I might have failed working under that former manager, or if i was hired back then they never would have changed the role and I'd be making way less than I am right now.

yes being rejected sucks but sometimes its for the best.
Yeah at the time it can hurt but can definitely work out for the best. Coming out of college I interviewed at this company that I thought I'd be a perfect fit for. The interviewer was a complete dikkhead and the first interview went rough but I thought my experience matched too perfectly to not at least get a second interview to make up for it. I was so locked in on that one job that I almost turned down an interview with the company I ended up getting hired at. It was a 45 minute commute each way which I didn't want to make. But then reality kicked in and I realized I needed any job at that point so went.

The first job never called me back. Fast forward two years, the job that I got had already doubled my salary within those two years. Got to talking with one of the newer guys in my company and come to find out he was the one who got the position I wanted. Now here he was working under me making half the money I was making at the time. He told how toxic of a job it was which lead to him leaving. I look back at that and realize just how lucky I was to get rejected at that first job cause I'd be nowhere near the salary I'm at now if not for that.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Found out today our company got rid of an entire international team.

Downside is one of those guys affected is one of the team's best software engineers.

To compensate they've somehow worked it out to keep him on until November and are trying to keep him longer.

If I were dude I'd be getting the resume ready.

Last edited:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol VPs in Big tech getting Millioms brehs not 3-400k
Depends. It’s usually around 300k from my experience. Now if you add in stock then it changes but base salary is probably around 300k. The biggest difference is the bonus or stock. Typically the bonus can be higher than the entire base salary. Nowadays things are much more flat and bonuses aren’t as high. They’re getting rid of vp titles in favor of things like director or group director and that’s across a lot of companies.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Depends. It’s usually around 300k from my experience. Now if you add in stock then it changes but base salary is probably around 300k. The biggest difference is the bonus or stock. Typically the bonus can be higher than the entire base salary. Nowadays things are much more flat and bonuses aren’t as high. They’re getting rid of vp titles in favor of things like director or group director and that’s across a lot of companies.
Big tech goes by Total comp not base

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Found out today our company got rid of an entire international team.

Downside is one of those guys affected is one of the team's best software engineers.

To compensate they've somehow worked it out to keep him on the team until November and are trying to keep him longer.

If I were dude I'd be getting the resume ready.
Same thing happened at my company a few months back. He got let go, we pulled some strings b/c he was too good of an engineer, a few days ago he pinged me on chat, "I'm back dtown!". :mjlol: