Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
These corporations created this economy.. increased the cost of living while keeping wages the same or not in balance with cost of living.

And what happens as a result is people are spending less because they don’t have disposable income and as a result these same corporations aren’t making as much money and start letting go of employees, cutting expenses etc

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
These corporations created this economy.. increased the cost of living while keeping wages the same or not in balance with cost of living.

And what happens as a result is people are spending less because they don’t have disposable income and as a result these same corporations aren’t making as much money and start letting go of employees, cutting expenses etc
It's also inflation always goes up. Like no matter what, things will always cost more in the future

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Still employed but feeling the pressure. I never got less than a 3 out of 4 on my annual review but now in my 1 on 1s my manager is saying that's not enough. Basically have to get a 3.5 consistently or "HR will be asking questions" as he put it. If you search me in this thread not too long ago I was saying how my bosses boss was telling me we're needed and everything is ok and every time I took a random mid week day off dude would be asking me if everything is aight in the next stand up :dead:

I'm a lead and the work is already hard af and now they're trying to squeeze more and more out of us. If the market wasn't so bad I would seriously consider just quitting and chilling for a lil bit. I did that twice during covid and it worked out well including getting this current job and a 6 figure pay increase. Just too much instability to do anything like that now. Not to mention it would probably be impossible for me to get a similar salary in this environment and if I somehow could the job might be even worse. Going update my resume and use what ever free time I have over the next month to study my architecture more so i can better "craft my story" when if I bounce

Just chill and get that severance don't quit

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Once this settles (we see what the new normal is) I would hope folks wake up but I got a feeling if we enter a new "boom" whatever it is people will go back thinking shyt is sweet, but hopefully those of us with sense can take advantage to get out the game and not play this rat race
I’ve been stacking. I think unless you’re c-suite status everyone should be out the game by the end of the decade or at least working for yourself

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
As a product manager, and having a background of doing QA and UI design work so many websites and apps drive me fukking crazy. So many easy changes that would make products so much easier to use and the customer happier.

My old job was at a smaller company (around 1500 employees) so when I would see things like that in our product I had full control over getting it fixed. I could get a bug fix or UI update out the door within a month or two of discovering it. Now that I'm at a much bigger company (15,000+ employees) I am seeing just how much the corporate environment slows things down. Just to send out an email announcement to customers takes 3 days. Getting a bug fix is three months minimum unless an emergency. Improvements to the software 3-6 months minimum because so much red tape you have to go through just to get something added to be worked on. And even then it's hard to get fixes added in unless there is a proven financial benefit.
I secretly tell myself that the red tape is what keeps me employed. Legit nothing would get done if they let go of people like me. Especially with all the time tables it takes the higher ups to get through.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
If a company pays for unused vacation after you quit that's enough money for me. I'll use sick leave for interviewing elsewhere instead. And take a month off between switching jobs.
:yeshrug:

Ay, yai, yai, yai, yai, yai, yai Ay, yai, yai, yai, yai, yai, yai :ehh:

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
What industry to you think you will transition into?
PsychEducation/Self Help space. YouTube, courses, podcasts etc etc.

I don't care if it's over-saturated, I know I can present ideas in my own unique way.

I also know I've been done with IT for years now, I don't believe I can walk into another office to deal with new dumb shyt that white folks say, shytty raises,
hoping I don't get laid off, needy users, etc etc etc. I want to try to work for myself and I can build it up while working where I am since I'm hybrid.

Everything is a grind in the end and I would rather focus in an area I actual like.

Key word “unused”

Easy way around that. The company gives unlimited vacation.

I was wondering why I keep seeing this more and more and it was always suspicious.

That makes a lot more sense now, ain't nothing for free.