Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Kind of, but having layoffs week to week is just as bad in my opinion. I'd be anxious wondering if this is the week I lose my job. Every meeting scheduled with me is going to make me panic
My old job is currently going through is. My friend who works there was telling me everybody is completely shook and how people are coming into work and being pulled aside and told to go back home since they're being laid off. She was telling me how everyone is walking around scared as hell that they will be next. She is actually pretty high up in the company and for the first time she's feeling it because in the past she was a part of all the discussions so she knew what was coming. Now she's been cut out of all the conversations so she's wondering if she is on the chopping block or if she'll be forced into early retirement.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
My old job is currently going through is. My friend who works there was telling me everybody is completely shook and how people are coming into work and being pulled aside and told to go back home since they're being laid off. She was telling me how everyone is walking around scared as hell that they will be next. She is actually pretty high up in the company and for the first time she's feeling it because in the past she was a part of all the discussions so she knew what was coming. Now she's been cut out of all the conversations so she's wondering if she is on the chopping block or if she'll be forced into early retirement.

Once this settles (we see what the new normal is) I would hope folks wake up but I got a feeling if we enter a new "boom" whatever it is people will go back thinking shyt is sweet, but hopefully those of us with sense can take advantage to get out the game and not play this rat race

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
You know what’s crazy I’ve been using apps in the US like DoorDash and have noticed things they need to fix up or ways to enhance it…

Makes me consider how little is really being put into these apps because they are straight up leaving money on the table
As a product manager, and having a background of doing QA and UI design work so many websites and apps drive me fukking crazy. So many easy changes that would make products so much easier to use and the customer happier.

My old job was at a smaller company (around 1500 employees) so when I would see things like that in our product I had full control over getting it fixed. I could get a bug fix or UI update out the door within a month or two of discovering it. Now that I'm at a much bigger company (15,000+ employees) I am seeing just how much the corporate environment slows things down. Just to send out an email announcement to customers takes 3 days. Getting a bug fix is three months minimum unless an emergency. Improvements to the software 3-6 months minimum because so much red tape you have to go through just to get something added to be worked on. And even then it's hard to get fixes added in unless there is a proven financial benefit.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Still employed but feeling the pressure. I never got less than a 3 out of 4 on my annual review but now in my 1 on 1s my manager is saying that's not enough. Basically have to get a 3.5 consistently or "HR will be asking questions" as he put it. If you search me in this thread not too long ago I was saying how my bosses boss was telling me we're needed and everything is ok and every time I took a random mid week day off dude would be asking me if everything is aight in the next stand up :dead:

I'm a lead and the work is already hard af and now they're trying to squeeze more and more out of us. If the market wasn't so bad I would seriously consider just quitting and chilling for a lil bit. I did that twice during covid and it worked out well including getting this current job and a 6 figure pay increase. Just too much instability to do anything like that now. Not to mention it would probably be impossible for me to get a similar salary in this environment and if I somehow could the job might be even worse. Going update my resume and use what ever free time I have over the next month to study my architecture more so i can better "craft my story" when if I bounce

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Laid off by email :wow:

Where would they go? Starting over at another company in this job market is rough.

I just got ghosted by a recruiter for a $110k job with no explanation. I think the IT job I have now is going to be my last. I want to figure out how to make my own money doing other things.

What industry to you think you will transition into?