Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
But it's true :mjlol:

One weeks pay for a coder in this country is like a months pay for someone in India or Africa.

And a broke Indian with a $140 laptop and a wifi connection will learn that shyt because they got time on their hands and way more at stake.

Why did you think they all try to come here :manny:

The cloud and zoom made the shyt that much easier.

The tech industry hasn't caught on in a lot of countries like it has in this country yet. High paying jobs are usually in government or medicine.

You must be talking bullshyt CRUD apps to replace some ancient excel spreadsheet

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
But it's true :mjlol:

One weeks pay for a coder in this country is like a months pay for someone in India or Africa.

And a broke Indian with a $140 laptop and a wifi connection will learn that shyt because they got time on their hands and way more at stake.

Why did you think they all try to come here :manny:

The cloud and zoom made the shyt that much easier.

The tech industry hasn't caught on in a lot of countries like it has in this country yet. High paying jobs are usually in government or medicine.
For that 20-50k they leave an important thing on the table - quality. The code that Nap produces, on average, shyt. So they wind up having to spend multiples of that cost to fix the problem. 100-200k once :hula: 20-50k unknown numbers of times

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
For that 20-50k they leave an important thing on the table - quality. The code that Nap produces, on average, shyt. So they wind up having to spend multiples of that cost to fix the problem. 100-200k once :hula: 20-50k unknown numbers of times
This. Not to mention the insane single hit failures.

Keep in mind a recent satellite's failure to launch cost a company $1 billion due to software defects.

Some car company had to recall a million cars due to another defect in their airbag sensors.

Code quality matters a lot, unless of course your company is a grift that's not really trying to build anything real - which is actually many companies/CEO's.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This. Not to mention the insane single hit failures.

Keep in mind a recent satellite's failure to launch cost a company $1 billion due to software defects.

Some car company had to recall a million cars due to another defect in their airbag sensors.

Code quality matters a lot, unless of course your company is a grift that's not really trying to build anything real - which is actually many companies/CEO's.

them airline failures I wanna say was due to sweatshops being used

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Also, when there's no domestic talent because only people overseas actually know how to do the job, what do these companies think they're going to do? At a certain point, they are just going to raise their rates significantly or just build a competing product. Thinking you can just ship everything overseas and America will just be a nation of managers who have zero technical expertise is laughable.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

That's not necessarily accurate. A coder in Ghana could be just as good as one in the US or better. But the market in Ghana is different. Same with India, Brazil or wherever. Assuming the quality won't be good depends on what you're looking to create an the complexity of the project.

Which leads me to the first point I made in the first place.

If you're a coder in the US making $150,000 a year with 5 or 6 years of experience, if you go to Ghana, you won't be making nowhere near that much money doing the same shyt.

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The United States salaries in coding dwarfs every other country.

When I was looking into relocating to Ghana, the average pay is anywhere from $20,000 - $50,000 a year tops on average.

These six figure tech jobs are over inflated and have played a key factor in driving inflation. Especially when you look at all the hiring these tech companies were doing in 2021.

Cost of living is lower in other places though

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
That's not necessarily accurate. A coder in Ghana could be just as good as one in the US or better. But the market in Ghana is different. Same with India, Brazil or wherever. Assuming the quality won't be good depends on what you're looking to create an the complexity of the project.

Which leads me to the first point I made in the first place.

If you're a coder in the US making $150,000 a year with 5 or 6 years of experience, if you go to Ghana, you won't be making nowhere near that much money doing the same shyt.
I haven't worked with any Africans based in Africa, so it's possible that they produce good quality since they may not have the Nap Nepotism Network in place. But with high salaries what you pay for is the quality of the worker. Bums do slip through the cracks, but you can generally count on good work. When companies outsource, they save money up front in exchange for pain post release.

Now if people want to move to a different country then that's a whole different story.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
I haven't worked with any Africans based in Africa, so it's possible that they produce good quality since they may not have the Nap Nepotism Network in place. But with high salaries what you pay for is the quality of the worker. Bums do slip through the cracks, but you can generally count on good work. When companies outsource, they save money up front in exchange for pain post release.

Now if people want to move to a different country then that's a whole different story.

At big companies, it's easy to slip through the cracks and hide. The work load is heavily compartmentalized. But they have bigger budgets. Small tech companies my hire someone who has to do it all like being a full stack developer but they can still fake it because their bosses don't know how to code or not tech savvy so they have more time to learn shyt.

Other countries might have different standards. If you don't know shyt or your work is subpar, they might not pay you or some shyt like that. Labor laws aren't the same in every country.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Cost of living is lower in other places though

but with the tech hire explosion, you don't think that played a part in the cost of living going up.

a 23 year old fresh out of college lands a job paying $110,000. Or a boot camp/self taught coder goes from making $55,000 a year to $90,000 a year. They don't mind paying $1900 for a little ass apartment. They can't wait to spend money to keep up or fit in. It's all connected.