Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This is true on average but if you have a less technical business strategic role in the us and they can manage the more technical offshore role and get a ton done. Actually this is what I’m doing currently where I’m literally telling the offshore talent what to do and I’ve gotten stuff done 10x faster. In the US you also have to add 40% to the salary for overhead.

more time repeating shyt + im sure everyone remembers that period where there were data breaches left and right at major companies due to all of them using the Contractor sweatshop model which caused of period of folks bringing stuff back to the USA + the Cyber Security Boom

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
India got next. Cheap and will work like dogs. But they’re not dumb.
I've worked with some decent ones but only in the US. The ones working overseas were a crap shoot. Would make the same mistakes over and over again. And seemingly retained zero knowledge despite being in a role for years. Any deviation from step-by-step instructions short circuited their brain. They expected us to do their job and ours. By far the worst region to deal with overseas with Malaysia or Vietnam a close 2nd.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Funny thing is, look at the top ratings list for places like Leetcode, Code Forces, etc.

Nearly none of them are from India.

Companies are going to India and not Asia (who are far superior) because Indians are doing the labor for cheap.

It really goes to show the sham this industry is becoming honestly. All to release software that is basically a glorified spreadsheet because some companies' employers don't know how to write Excel. CEO's trying to sell BS products and hiring a bunch of weak engineers to fluff it up so they can sell the company to cash out. It's a ponzi basically.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
more time repeating shyt + im sure everyone remembers that period where there were data breaches left and right at major companies due to all of them using the Contractor sweatshop model which caused of period of folks bringing stuff back to the USA + the Cyber Security Boom
If people only knew about the number of Corporate breaches caused by cheap outsourced coders.
:mjlol:
Upper management covers that shyt up fast and buries the Redteam reports. A coder in the US would get fired immediately for these kinds of mistakes. But when it's overseas everyone looks the other way because of the cost savings.
:pachaha:
What a shyt show.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I've worked with some decent ones but only in the US. The ones working overseas were a crap shoot. Would make the same mistakes over and over again. And seemingly retained zero knowledge despite being in a role for years. Any deviation from step-by-step instructions short circuited their brain. They expected us to do their job and ours. By far the worst region to deal with overseas with Malaysia or Vietnam a close 2nd.

I've worked with some Cool Indians, but this shyt creates a dangerous environment for the one's who are good at their job because One Extreme (outsourcing to trash resources en mass when your own citizens don't have jobs) gets met with overcorrection (Xenophobia).

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
If people only knew about the number of Corporate breaches caused by cheap outsourced coders.
:mjlol:
Upper management covers that shyt up fast and buries the Redteam reports. A coder in the US would get fired immediately for these kinds of mistakes. But when it's overseas everyone looks the other way because of the cost savings.
:pachaha:
What a shyt show.
yup the optics are bad so they just pay to keep shyt silent. Once again this should be a sign dudes need to get what they can and move on, this shyt is not something you want to be in forever. Who wants to be I their 50s still stressing about layoffs and shyt.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've worked with some Cool Indians, but this shyt creates a dangerous environment for the one's who are good at their job because One Extreme (outsourcing to trash resources en mass when your own citizens don't have jobs) gets met with overcorrection (Xenophobia).
I just think companies in general are pretty bad at hiring talent overseas. They don't put the same effort into vetting candidates overseas as they do in the US. The overseas team just hires a bunch of their friends or relatives who won't make them look bad.

And they turn the US employees into glorified babysitters for the overseas team. Which just breeds resentment.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I just think companies in general are pretty bad at hiring talent overseas. They don't put the same effort into vetting candidates overseas as they do in the US. The overseas team just hires a bunch of their friends or relatives who won't make them look bad.

yeah the thing is H1B was for finding high skilled talent to bridge gaps but that + Outshoring has been used to just get cheap bodies to do grunt work.

I said years back USA would be better off revamping Grade School the way India did to pretty much groom people where these jobs transform from Overpaid to "normal" jobs thus fast food and retail can continue to be for teens and retired folks (thus no need to increase the wages as nobody who has a family and providing for said family should be working as a Micky ds cashier).

Now we paying Fast Food Workers 40k when we could have created a culture shift to make something more skilled be a 40-70k job in the USA.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's funny with these interviews. The advice you get around the internet is "Don't memorize Leetcode!" I understand that.

However, these interviewers ask questions which have answers that are famous algorithms such as Bellman-Ford. You would not come up with that shyt if you didn't know/understand/memorize that algorithm.

It's like these people expect you to come up with famous algorithmic solutions in the 30 minutes you have in an interview huh? That was legit an example I read someone post recently.

So many contradictions and hypocrites around the industry. If you want Donald Knuth, hire Donald Knuth.
People who never had to leetcode talking BS
Just confirmation that some skipped the steps to be where they at

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
yeah the thing is H1B was for finding high skilled talent to bridge gaps but that + Outshoring has been used to just get cheap bodies to do grunt work.

I said years back USA would be better off revamping Grade School the way India did to pretty much groom people where these jobs transform from Overpaid to "normal" jobs thus fast food and retail can continue to be for teens and retired folks (thus no need to increase the wages as nobody who has a family and providing for said family should be working as a Micky ds cashier).

Now we paying Fast Food Workers 40k when we could have created a culture shift to make something more skilled be a 40-70k job in the USA.
That’s because these hoe ass politicians and corporations don’t respect the education so they don’t see value in investing into educating the masses, and they want to profit as much as they can to hoard all the money

To be honest we should’ve been rioting years ago with the way education is set up in this country, we should’ve been burned this bytch to the ground

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Damn lie... It is still about how you start...

Be humble .. climb the company ladder...it's a 2 years process.

The biggest problem is most people are bad to horrendous at interviews....

My wife is in HR and she will tell you.. people are practically begging instead of showcasing their strength and Worth.
This is so true. It's also why that advice of search for your next job while still having a job is effective. Makes you less desperate which comes across in interviews. I usually kill my interviews in part because I speak with confidence and I ask the interviewers questions about why I should want to work for them. Make the company sell themselves to you.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps

It's not just with developers. I've seen it at my old company and new company where we have implementation, boarding, customer service, product management teams where both corporations dumbed down the positions. Had managers that tried to gatekeep knowledge and would fight hard to make the job as simplified as possible. It lead to all the workers in those positions being easily replaceable while also making those with knowledge have a lot more job security. Also leads to a lot less productivity.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
This is the result of:
-Management consulting bros transitioning into tech
-The internet and tech bros romanticizing Elon Musk...obsession with operating lean + lean headcount
-Leadership understands despite profiting or start-ups close to profiting they don't want to change because it challenges their actual value to the organization....allota folks in leadership are in the way and provide little to no value
What has shocked me about the corporate world is just how little creativity there is and how much of a copy cat culture it is. Companies don't examine their own products or organizational structure and figure out what works best for the company. Instead whatever the latest buzzword is becomes all the rage. Leads to a bunch of money spent on software or trainings to get up to date on this new trend despite not having the infrastructure to support it. A big part of how I ended up in the doghouse at my old company was because of my big mouth and calling out all the ways we are wasting time and/or money which pissed off the decision makers despite me turning out to be 100% correct.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
What has shocked me about the corporate world is just how little creativity there is and how much of a copy cat culture it is. Companies don't examine their own products or organizational structure and figure out what works best for the company. Instead whatever the latest buzzword is becomes all the rage. Leads to a bunch of money spent on software or trainings to get up to date on this new trend despite not having the infrastructure to support it. A big part of how I ended up in the doghouse at my old company was because of my big mouth and calling out all the ways we are wasting time and/or money which pissed off the decision makers despite me turning out to be 100% correct.
Most folks are terrible at their job but because they keep things up, no one really questions them. I have a guy on my team that literally struggled to open one note and he has senior in his title. I can see why people leave tech and never come back.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
It's not just with developers. I've seen it at my old company and new company where we have implementation, boarding, customer service, product management teams where both corporations dumbed down the positions. Had managers that tried to gatekeep knowledge and would fight hard to make the job as simplified as possible. It lead to all the workers in those positions being easily replaceable while also making those with knowledge have a lot more job security. Also leads to a lot less productivity.
I declined the offer to join the team at my company that wants to A.I away a whole other department. shyt is sad af man. Additionally, I know it's going to be a bad move and customers are going to complain about it. These "A.I"'s are not ready to replace who they think they are.

That's why I don't feel bad going for a 2nd remote job behind their back at this point.

Last edited: