Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
In my lifetime I’ve skated by so many layoffs. shyt is depressing. You have the instant relief then you start to think about a bunch of shyt and get sad.

Need to retire early and go be a greeter at Walmart twice a week.
Please, don't be another greeter at Walmart :damn:

But on a serious note, I've seen retired Walmart Greeters become very envious of other retirees that shop there, who don't need to come out of retirement to make ends meet.

It seems to get worse every year.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
this is a happy path/fairy tale assumption.

What we are seeing now is not "one industry dying to prop up a new", what we are seeing is/will reshape ALL industry to make them leaner. The thing with this in a system of capitalism you need a population who can consume in order to profit from what is being provided, we are now removing the method people use to consume (because AI and Automation can be applied to every vertical you can think of). Anything can be automated if someone with capital deems the ROI worth it (I say this because people constantly have the so and so is safe and can't be automated).
and I'm telling you there's always a balance, until there isn't anymore.

Automation isn't a new concept. Automation at a grand scale isn't either.

As long as there's such thing as "better results" capitalism will always try to achieve it. Always.

A.I might pull in money and seem efficient on it's own.

Wait until a company posts better results however using General A.I plus one engineer.
Then one company will use General A.I + a team of engineers to take advantage and compete.
Then another company will use General A.I + teams of engineers to compete and take the top spot.

Now we're back to square one and it's a gold rush on talent.

I've been doing this for some time, I know how it goes.

It's like a marathon: you want to always move forward. The people who take a break maybe stop to check their phone are the ones who fall behind exponentially.

You're underestimating how much people/companies want to be #1. You're underestimating that heavy actually. New tech is the floor, not the ceiling. It's always a reset to a floor then a build up from there.

Those who are skilled up are going to be better off, it's always been that way.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
and I'm telling you there's always a balance, until there isn't anymore.

Automation isn't a new concept. Automation at a grand scale isn't either.

As long as there's such thing as "better results" capitalism will always try to achieve it. Always.

A.I might pull in money and seem efficient on it's own.

Wait until a company posts better results however using A.I plus one engineer.
Then it'll be A.I + a team of engineers from another company to take advantage and compete.
Then it'll be A.I + teams of engineers from another company to compete.

Now we're back to square one and it's a gold rush on talent.

I've been doing this for some time, I know how it goes.

It's like a marathon: you want to always move forward. The people who take a break maybe stop to check their phone are the ones who fall behind exponentially.

You're underestimating how much people/companies want to be #1. You're underestimating that heavy actually. New tech is the floor, not the ceiling.
You dont know how this goes because this is uncharted territory. You’re just hoping for the best lol.

The main unknown is how fast (if ever) we get to said point where a team can be replaced with an “Manager of AI system”, because there are still issues with AI hallucination, companies locking down data available to the world which hinders this current stage of Gen AI, etc.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
You dont know how this goes because this is uncharted territory. You’re just hoping for the best lol.

The main unknown is how fast (if ever) we get to said point where a team can be replaced with an “Manager of AI system”, because there are still issues with AI hallucination, companies locking down data available to the world which hinders this current stage of Gen AI, etc.
You don't know how this goes either, which is funny. :mjlol: :heh:

Many A.I experts from Stanford, M.I.T, Caltech, etc. also seem to think if we ever get A.I that can do and think how humans do it's still far down the road anyways.
The realistic estimate is 30-50 years, if it even happens. Timestamped:

Everyone telling cats not to pursue Tech/Comp Sci/software for something that is potentially decades away is crazy.

Just like 15 years ago when people said QA will be gone to automation because engineers will be doing their own QA. Remember when Microsoft fired their entire QA department because of that 11 years ago? shyt was doom and gloom.

However, here we are in 2024 and someone with 5 years of QA experience/Sr. QA is getting paid $400k/year right now. I hope nobody listened to that noise and discouragement 10 years ago, because they left generational wealth on the table. I know I'm not (and I'm not even QA).

It's like when people said degrees are useless if you want to be a leader, but 88% of all CEO's have a degree close to what they're doing including nearly 100% of S&P 500 CEO's. People literally dropped out of school after hearing that advice when they had an opportunity to finish and now it's too late for their current situations. I imagine many people are just looking for an excuse to quit anyways though, which will always be the case - then they'll try and take everyone else down with them. Tale as old as college.

Doom posters are hilarious, especially in an industry like tech where you have some of the brightest and most innovative humans on the planet working.

Last edited:

John Mexico

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Henderson, NV
Anyone ever use a Resume Writer? Yeah I know everyone using Chat Gpt now.
Fiverr

Screenshot-2024-04-30-at-3.36.37PM.png

GPT4 writing isn't very distinctive yet. You can smell it from a mile away and im sure the hiring teams can spot it too

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Fiverr

Screenshot-2024-04-30-at-3.36.37PM.png

GPT4 writing isn't very distinctive yet. You can smell it from a mile away and im sure the hiring teams can spot it too
Good looks bro, you used him? And how is the process? I assume you just give your experience and they work the magic? I ask as I`m going to be traveling soon so trying to plan when I can do this and how involved I need to be.

John Mexico

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Henderson, NV
Off you're recommendation
I might sign up

nXbZWrj.png

Yeah my LinkedIn is LOADED so I just just the Tier 2 package and tailored it with what he wrote for me. And I've been broke as shyt since I got into some trouble (misdemeanor but I had to take a seat for a couple days and lost my J2 being that I couldn't wiggle my way out of why I had to miss a portion of my third week) but even the Standard package is legit.

Good looks bro, you used him? And how is the process? I assume you just give your experience and they work the magic? I ask as I`m going to be traveling soon so trying to plan when I can do this and how involved I need to be.

Correct. I gave him my most decent resume and he trims the fat and emphasizes the material based on the questionnaire that he provides you when you make the purchase, where you've been, where you want to go. It's best to give him a very bloated resume, a lot to work with, ala volunteerism, organizations/affiliations, skills, etc.

That way each of your positions-once they come back after a couple days-highlight that you may be a maestro at API Architecture, without boxing you in as just a Java/Spring developer, but a backend engineer with expertise in multiple languages, and rather highlights some of the very niche tools if they are job specific.

Its still rough out there, but yes, this service ended my drought of not being able to get past the initial screenings that I could do on my own with relative ease back in 2022.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah my LinkedIn is LOADED so I just just the Tier 2 package and tailored it with what he wrote for me. And I've been broke as shyt since I got into some trouble (misdemeanor but I had to take a seat for a couple days and lost my J2 being that I couldn't wiggle my way out of why I had to miss a portion of my third week) but even the Standard package is legit.

Correct. I gave him my most decent resume and he trims the fat and emphasizes the material based on the questionnaire that he provides you when you make the purchase, where you've been, where you want to go. It's best to give him a very bloated resume, a lot to work with, ala volunteerism, organizations/affiliations, skills, etc.

That way each of your positions-once they come back after a couple days-highlight that you may be a maestro at API Architecture, without boxing you in as just a Java/Spring developer, but a backend engineer with expertise in multiple languages, and rather highlights some of the very niche tools if they are job specific.

Its still rough out there, but yes, this service ended my drought of not being able to get past the initial screenings that I could do on my own with relative ease back in 2022.

Bet, everything is done virtually right? I want to have things in order with Elections coming up

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Didn't these fukks just layoff thousands of tech workers?
:mjlol:

Google urges US to update immigration rules to attract more AI talent​

In a letter to the Department of Labor, Google says a list of jobs considered scarce must include AI.​