Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
We honestly saw the same thing with the STEM rush before the Tech rush.

Only 25% of those with STEM degrees were actually working in STEM because all the seniors fell in place and these companies knew they didn't need to hire Jr. Engineers because they had knowledgeable Sr. engineers.

Unfortunately, as those Seniors are starting to retire that decision is starting to hurt these industries because they could have a lot more Mid and Seniors to hand off to. Now we're seeing Boeing in quite a bad spot for example.

This is the result of Finance bros all up in STEM matters. It won't scale well long term, but that's for the next CEO to deal with.

The thing is Millenials is the new Baby Boomer population when it comes to# of people working, and most of them have enough experience now where companies can see the few who drink the kool aid to rise to be the new oversears as boomer retire and then trim as much fat as possible with Gen AI, Robotics Automation Cells, overseas labor.

Pretty much resulting in companies just having a task force of "leads" who can run reports, ensure automation cells are running as needed.

The thing is at this stage I don't see a "new" hustle coming up to replace the last like you saw in prior gens as the "hot career" shifted from one to the next after the prior dies out.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
The funny part is AI is more effective replacing middle management and leadership than IC's (analysts, engineers, etc)

Not really, all of the trends I see first hand is companies trying to use Gen AI for "grunt work", to drive front line "efficiencies" (the do more with less bullshyt).

In an ideal world all these companies would get rid of front line and just have 1 Business Unit Lead and 1 Technical Lead/Architect for every Business function in their org that can report into an Executive and feed them insights to make decisions on.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not really, all of the trends I see first hand is companies trying to use Gen AI for "grunt work", to drive front line "efficiencies" (the do more with less bullshyt).

In an ideal world all these companies would get rid of front line and just have 1 Business Unit Lead and 1 Technical Lead/Architect for every Business function in their org that can report into an Executive and feed them insights to make decisions on.

I'm seeing more leadership reverting back to IC

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm seeing more leadership reverting back to IC
Due to less need of front line is my point. Leadership just become people reading out automation performance and assessing areas for refinement.

It will become to a division of oversight Of AI (ICs rolling into leadership that doesn't "manage")

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I also tell folks to go and get easy interviews within your career just for practice.

It allows you to get the shakes out and battle test your responses.

And if you bomb it, you didn't care to begin with so it's all good.

This. I’m an interview champion. How? I went on a lot of them and watched a lot of YouTube videos. Thr more interviews you go on, the better you become and you start to realize the questions are virtually the same. You’ll be confident answering as you have experience handling those questions.

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I recently checked a former co-workers LinkedIn and they listed a whole host of management experience for the time we worked together. Nah man, you was a struggling junior like I was :russ:

I recently checked a former co-workers LinkedIn and they listed a whole host of management experience for the time we worked together. Nah man, you was a struggling junior like I was :russ:
:wow: I’ve been too nice and honest

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Sent this to my wife who is a CISO. She said she fought HARD for interns and GenZ talent in her last 2 roles.

She says companies dont get it....if they dont hire them and change the culture for them their orgs wont survive.
Some trades are going through this right now.

Folks retiring and not enough folks to replace them.

Can't learn from Rick if he is on his way out next week

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The thing is Millenials is the new Baby Boomer population when it comes to# of people working, and most of them have enough experience now where companies can see the few who drink the kool aid to rise to be the new oversears as boomer retire and then trim as much fat as possible with Gen AI, Robotics Automation Cells, overseas labor.

Pretty much resulting in companies just having a task force of "leads" who can run reports, ensure automation cells are running as needed.

The thing is at this stage I don't see a "new" hustle coming up to replace the last like you saw in prior gens as the "hot career" shifted from one to the next after the prior dies out.
There's always going to be something new imo.

Innovation tends to create proportionally to how many jobs it destroys.

You're talking about some of the smartest people on the planet. These are would be Mathematicians, Physicists, Engineers, Doctors, etc. who went into tech to chase money. Those who get cut/replaced will create a new avenue. These aren't people who got no clue and will take it laying down.

If it wasn't such a large crowd of smart people getting cut I'd say yeah, things are bleak. However, we're talking some of the brightest of the bright getting booted. They'll innovate new lanes, as many already have. For example, I'm looking for J2 right now and seeing a lot more lanes open up (that may not even be tech roles) that I'm a shoe-in for because of my experience in tech and creating automation.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
:wow: I’ve been too nice and honest
Man called himself a Product Manager Lead :pachaha: . Wasn't no products, no management, but I'll let him slide on lead since it was me and him leading the development effort for the project. I thought I was stretching in some of what was on my resume - even though it was all truthful :hubie: . But off the strength of that dude, I'm about to get my @Luken on
Cupace20220904003036585.png

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some trades are going through this right now.

Folks retiring and not enough folks to replace them.

Can't learn from Rick if he is on his way out next week

In tech?
Which trades?

Personally, I'm not seeing "folks retiring, and not enough folks to replace them" in the tech industry.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
vsCR2mR.png

The entire twitter thread is on point
This is across more than just tech or technical roles. My company wants junior roles off shored, at least 30%. It will have an effect on the future talent but I guess the view of the company is that 30% of all junior roles are extremely replaceable with much cheaper off shore options.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
There's always going to be something new imo.

Innovation tends to create proportionally to how many jobs it destroys.

You're talking about some of the smartest people on the planet. These are would be Mathematicians, Physicists, Engineers, Doctors, etc. who went into tech to chase money. Those who get cut/replaced will create a new avenue. These aren't people who got no clue and will take it laying down.

If it wasn't such a large crowd of smart people getting cut I'd say yeah, things are bleak. However, we're talking some of the brightest of the bright getting booted. They'll innovate new lanes, as many already have. For example, I'm looking for J2 right now and seeing a lot more lanes open up (that may not even be tech roles) that I'm a shoe-in for because of my experience in tech and creating automation.

this is a happy path/fairy tale assumption.

What we are seeing now is not "one industry dying to prop up a new", what we are seeing is/will reshape ALL industry to make them leaner. The thing with this in a system of capitalism you need a population who can consume in order to profit from what is being provided, we are now removing the method people use to consume (because AI and Automation can be applied to every vertical you can think of). Anything can be automated if someone with capital deems the ROI worth it (I say this because people constantly have the so and so is safe and can't be automated).