bnew

Veteran
Daps

Tesla Lays Off Employee Who Slept In Car To Work Longer Hours​

Collin Woodard

Mon, Apr 29, 2024, 11:15 AM EDT3 min read

Photo: Tesla

Tesla laid off at least 10 percent of its workforce earlier this month, and in typical Tesla fashion, the Texas-based automaker made sure the layoffs were done in an organized fashion with plenty of communication and a clearly defined strategy. Just kidding. The layoffs were so poorly executed that security was forced to scan employees’ badges at the door to figure out who had been laid off. And, apparently, that included a guy who had taken to sleeping in his car and showering at the factory so he could work longer hours.

Nico Murillo, who until April 15 had been working as a production supervisor at Tesla’s Freemont facility, recently posted his layoff experience on LinkedIn and sharing the timeline of how he discovered he’d lost his job:

4:30am: Opened my laptop, account was de activated. Thought it was just another IT problem, so didn’t think anything of it.

5:00am I usually check my emails while on my autopilot commute to work (1hr 30min drive) Email read: “Unfortunately as a result, your position has been eliminated by this restructuring.”

5:05am Texted my manager, but he said “everyone got it, we’ll get more info later”

5:50am Tried to badge in, and the security guard took my badge and told me I was laid off

6:00am Sat in my car in disbelief.

You would think that someone who works at Tesla would know that even with Tesla’s so-called “Full Self-Driving” software, Autopilot is only a Level 2 system and still requires the driver to monitor the road instead of checking emails. After all, its use has been linked to more than 200 crashes and at least 29 deaths, but for the purposes of this post, we’re just going to move on because his story takes a quick, depressing turn.

According to Murillo, in his five years at Tesla, he moved from an entry-level Production Associate role to Lead Production Associate and eventually Production Supervisor. Also, with a 90-minute commute each way, in 2023, he apparently started sleeping in his car, showering at the factory and microwaving his dinners on days that he was working.

Unfortunately for Murillo, no amount of loyalty to a company is going to be met with any amount of loyalty to you. Even if you post better numbers than your coworkers, you’re ultimately just another meat sack they’re forced to pay until they can figure out how to replace you. Which might explain why the United Auto Workers union is making huge gains in Alabama, of all states, and Volkswagen workers in Chattanooga recently voted to join the UAW even though a similar vote failed back in 2019.

Hopefully, Tesla’s Fremont plant isn’t too far behind Volkswagen’s Chattanooga facility. They deserve better than being forced to line up at the door so they can wait for security to figure out who still has a job.

H/T: CarScoops

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I work with a lot of people in the EU and deal with people in India as well. These companies in the US only care about shareholders and bottom line. There is 0 "patriotism" in the tech sector. I'm still here because I made myself the go to for a few departments. Only real reason I have survived as long as I have. I have updated resume and contacts though. Also taking another course to upskill. The game now is just about staying ready and as prepared as you can be. Eyeryone should be on that and staying sharp. Feels like we definitely had it cushy for a few years.
You really should enter the job market and see what’s out there. It takes upwards of 90 days to land a new position and if you start now you’ll have an offer you can choose to turn down at least by q4 when companies REALLY start slashing to make their books look good by end of year.

G-Zeus

G-Zeus Chrystler...the brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsident evil

Damn lie... It is still about how you start...

Be humble .. climb the company ladder...it's a 2 years process.

The biggest problem is most people are bad to horrendous at interviews....

My wife is in HR and she will tell you.. people are practically begging instead of showcasing their strength and Worth.

Spence

Superstar
Daps

Collin Woodard

Tesla laid off at least 10 percent of its workforce earlier this month, and in typical Tesla fashion, the Texas-based automaker made sure the layoffs were done in an organized fashion with plenty of communication and a clearly defined strategy. Just kidding. The layoffs were so poorly executed that security was forced to scan employees’ badges at the door to figure out who had been laid off. And, apparently, that included a guy who had taken to sleeping in his car and showering at the factory so he could work longer hours.

Nico Murillo, who until April 15 had been working as a production supervisor at Tesla’s Freemont facility, recently posted his layoff experience on LinkedIn and sharing the timeline of how he discovered he’d lost his job:

You would think that someone who works at Tesla would know that even with Tesla’s so-called “Full Self-Driving” software, Autopilot is only a Level 2 system and still requires the driver to monitor the road instead of checking emails. After all, its use has been linked to more than 200 crashes and at least 29 deaths, but for the purposes of this post, we’re just going to move on because his story takes a quick, depressing turn.

According to Murillo, in his five years at Tesla, he moved from an entry-level Production Associate role to Lead Production Associate and eventually Production Supervisor. Also, with a 90-minute commute each way, in 2023, he apparently started sleeping in his car, showering at the factory and microwaving his dinners on days that he was working.

Unfortunately for Murillo, no amount of loyalty to a company is going to be met with any amount of loyalty to you. Even if you post better numbers than your coworkers, you’re ultimately just another meat sack they’re forced to pay until they can figure out how to replace you. Which might explain why the United Auto Workers union is making huge gains in Alabama, of all states, and Volkswagen workers in Chattanooga recently voted to join the UAW even though a similar vote failed back in 2019.

Hopefully, Tesla’s Fremont plant isn’t too far behind Volkswagen’s Chattanooga facility. They deserve better than being forced to line up at the door so they can wait for security to figure out who still has a job.

They fired ole girl who was sleeping under her office desk, you already knew the game plan :ufdup:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

Collin Woodard

@PrnzHakeem any thoughts?

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Nope, only the high level certs (CISSP and equal value).

They see you have/had it and get giddy.

I wouldn't do this if it is listed as an actual requirement for the job of course.
Okay so I can lie my ass off then for the most part

As long as it’s not one of the job requirements

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
What do you mean by back up?

If you can't troubleshoot a Tier 1 Help Desk ticket by yourself, they would be suspicious. I would be too.

If you have no previous IT experience, I would recommend getting the A+, work for a few years and THEN begin lying.

For example, I've done System Administrator work for about a decade now.

But I never got the title until recently. So every time I tried to apply for the role before, they would only see that I did Desktop Support/Help Desk.

It stunted my career. If I had lied about positions instead of hoping someone would give me a chance, I could have been in a better spot.

So lie in a smart way, but don't lie and then have zero knowledge.