JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw this first hand recently.
:francis:

SF exec defends 'brutal' tech trend: Lay off workers to free up cash for AI​

In an interview on the Verge’s “Decoder” podcast published Monday, Dropbox CEO Drew Houston mounted a zealous argument for the importance of AI while defending his company’s 500-worker layoff in April 2023. The two things are linked, he said, noting that Dropbox’s layoff was largely aimed at freeing up cash to hire more engineers who are skilled in AI.

“We couldn’t make the math work with the way that we were structured,” Houston said during the podcast. “So we had to make a really tough decision to let go of a lot of people and then make room for the investments in AI and [Dropbox] Dash and all the stuff that we wanted to ultimately make the company successful. But it’s brutal.”

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Saw this first hand recently.
:francis:

SF exec defends 'brutal' tech trend: Lay off workers to free up cash for AI​

In an interview on the Verge’s “Decoder” podcast published Monday, Dropbox CEO Drew Houston mounted a zealous argument for the importance of AI while defending his company’s 500-worker layoff in April 2023. The two things are linked, he said, noting that Dropbox’s layoff was largely aimed at freeing up cash to hire more engineers who are skilled in AI.

“We couldn’t make the math work with the way that we were structured,” Houston said during the podcast. “So we had to make a really tough decision to let go of a lot of people and then make room for the investments in AI and [Dropbox] Dash and all the stuff that we wanted to ultimately make the company successful. But it’s brutal.”

Can’t wait till AI replaces CEOs.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
That's how it's going at my company. Our top leaders are fukking idiots for the most part. Every six months we have a new buzz word that they latch on to and constantly change the direction of what our teams should be focusing on. Nothing ends up getting done. The latest is AI.
Man, I read a story that about a decade ago someone at IBM was asked to integrate their product line with the Blockchain.

That person researched the Blockchain and said it was "pointless" as it adds nothing to what they're doing and would make the problem worse.

That guy was fired.

IBM still doesn't have anything with Blockchain tech at least nothing major that I know of.

Basically some idiot at the top heard buzzwords and was like "Let's not get left behind!"

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
That's how it's going at my company. Our top leaders are fukking idiots for the most part. Every six months we have a new buzz word that they latch on to and constantly change the direction of what our teams should be focusing on. Nothing ends up getting done. The latest is AI.
Same at my former company, which is why I'm now overseas working on getting this bread. They dissolved our NY office in February all because our top leaders are idiots. I'm an idiot because I saw the product they planned to launch in 2022 and my Black alarm (one of three in NY) went off because it was a UK based platform that worked on finding pay disparities at companies. In the UK, it's mandatory. In the US...:heh: No one cares how they are underpaying niqqas. AND they were targeting DEI departments? :krs: My Black ass knew DEI was turning into a bad word by bigots but I was too comfortable instead of looking to jump ship. $10 million later with only $300k in sales of the product....BOOM! Didn't matter that I hit target on 2023. It's not top leadership that gets the axe for being dummies. Thank God I have a plan B out here.

Was in a leadership meeting today and we’re told to offshore 30% of our staff. It’s going to be painful.

They offshored half our work to the Phillipines.

Last edited:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
How much money do you fkn need? Instead why not take $30 bil, reinvest the other $26 back into Tesla so people can keep their jobs, your company’s share price in good standing, and have leftover $ for RND to get the $25k cheap commuter Tesla off the ground as well as fixing the shyt ass 4680 cells not being dense enough? Greedy mfkr