Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

morris

Superstar
Daps
This the first time in my career being under the threat of a layoff, how do you even stay focused on your regular work? I've been checked out as soon as they started talking about RIFs and severance packages.
Make sure to keep your network strong m

One of my best friends was laid off after 15+ years. He was paid a very healthy severance that late 6 months. He is now speaking with management about rejoining the team, though for a small pay cut.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
This the first time in my career being under the threat of a layoff, how do you even stay focused on your regular work? I've been checked out as soon as they started talking about RIFs and severance packages.
You don't, you prioritize yourself. That work will be there one way or another.

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps

You don't. You look for a new job or decide where you gonna vacation when the hammer comes.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
:francis:Praying for yall man. It hurts because I really wanted to be in this industry and made so many sacrifices only to see the end results :mjcry: ...

May the tech brehs find stability and peace in these dire times, because its sadly getting to the point we all question "what the fukk are we supposed to do? Why we can't get paid and enjoy the American Dream?"

The American Dream was never the case as it was a placebo...

Spence

Superstar
Daps
DO NOT INVEST YOURSELF. You are there for a check just as they exist to use you until you no longer serve a purpose. I had that problem in my 20’s, you show no fkn loyalty to your place of employment. Even if you make it through this round of cuts whos to say there isn’t another round right before the holidays that would really do you over? Regardless of what happens you need to have 1 foot out the door and actively marketing yourself to get a new position ASAP

Spence

Superstar
Daps
If I knew I would be laid off I would go to a doctor and get fmla for mental health reasons. That’s like 4 weeks at Least
They don’t have to pay you on fmla just hold onto your position, but it would give them a really good reason to can your ass after you get back just fyi.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They don’t have to pay you on fmla just hold onto your position, but it would give them a really good reason to can your ass after you get back just fyi.
you're right. Someone did this at my job at I felt a way about it lol.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Basically.

It is alarming that these CEO's are choosing to replace people with an LLM.

Not an A.I that is legit thinking.

An LLM.

Think about that and how dumb that is.

I think problem is many people feel LLM is legit General Artificial Intelligence.
Even people on this website are under the assumption that the computer is "thinking" or "smart".

Over time, I think the limitations of this technology will become more apparent and the trend/craziness will die off.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I think problem is many people feel LLM is legit General Artificial Intelligence.
Even people on this website are under the assumption that the computer is "thinking" or "smart".

Over time, I think the limitations of this technology will become more apparent and the trend/craziness will die off.
Chatgpt user base has already fallen off a cliff. Its novelty is wearing off rapidly. What I do fear is that we see a bunch of Narrow AI combined to make the real deal which would speed up this process. But until all these narrow AI companies combine and merge like Voltron that will never happen.

If Blackrock or the like get involved though and do what I am talking about, we will be in actual trouble. There’s no incentive currently since it would be prohibitively expensive, even for them.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Its novelty is wearing off rapidly.
Wore off real quick when I was making a custom GPT. I use it to help me with wording things but other than that it has provided limited extra benefit. Eventually I'll get tired of playing with DALL-E and and cancel my subscription.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
:wow:

Do more with less. They laid folks off w my company and then still expected the same amount of productivity from the org as a whole.
These guys really followed Elon, now look at Elon and them :mjlol: :heh:

I know for a fact some of these companies are hurting and under stress right now internally. Cats are going to start leaving soon.