Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

King_Sage

All Star
Daps
fredgraph.png

:francis:
it's crazy how everyone (companies) were saying AI wouldn't kill jobs..

those were business people sides of the companies not knowing how impactdul generational AI would be fueled by the over hiring during covid..

now the repercussions are companies cutting jobs to be "more competitive", and IT folks are saying we can get done for cheaper (lay offs)

message to thecoli.. go for differentiating roles, learn how to use AI to your advantage, stack money/self employ and buckle up.. :mjcry:

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Don't you love deceptive graphs like this? Why does the axis start at 70 :mjlol:

It's hard to panic about this honestly. If you're a core coder, and all you do is code, you should worry. If you have more bows to your arrow, you'll be able to pivot with ease.

And if you use Generative AI, you'll know that it's not a plug and play solution. We'll be holding it's hand for the foreseeable future.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Don't you love deceptive graphs like this? Why does the axis start at 70 :mjlol:

It's hard to panic about this honestly. If you're a core coder, and all you do is code, you should worry. If you have more bows to your arrow, you'll be able to pivot with ease.

And if you use Generative AI, you'll know that it's not a plug and play solution. We'll be holding it's hand for the foreseeable future.

A 30% drop is significant especially when coupled with a glut of qualified people due to layoffs. Not the end of the world of course but it is getting spooky for even formerly safe jobs out there.

I didn't even think this was about AI honestly. It is company "efficiency" led by the slaughter Musk did at Twitter. Do more with less (but more stressed out) personnel. I personally think AI is big long term but is currently in the hype cycle. I won't expect permanent structural change in the job market caused by AI for another 10 years at least.

tgu

Pro
Daps
A 30% drop is significant especially when coupled with a glut of qualified people due to layoffs. Not the end of the world of course but it is getting spooky for even formerly safe jobs out there.

I didn't even think this was about AI honestly. It is company "efficiency" led by the slaughter Musk did at Twitter. Do more with less (but more stressed out) personnel. I personally think AI is big long term but is currently in the hype cycle. I won't expect permanent structural change in the job market caused by AI for another 10 years at least.
Tbf, the graph needs to show data going back to before COVID started to get a good comparison. A lot of companies went on hiring sprees during that time period. The question is hiring getting back to pre COVID averages or is it dipping below that?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

those were business people sides of the companies not knowing how impactdul generational AI would be fueled by the over hiring during covid..

now the repercussions are companies cutting jobs to be "more competitive", and IT folks are saying we can get done for cheaper (lay offs)

message to thecoli.. go for differentiating roles, learn how to use AI to your advantage, stack money/self employ and buckle up.. :mjcry:
Corporations are using AI as a smokescreen for tech job losses. Those jobs are more than likely going to cheaper overseas labor instead. Companies can increasingly move jobs all over the globe pretty easily now. I work with way more foreigners than I did just 5 years ago.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Corporations are using AI as a smokescreen for tech job losses. Those jobs are more than likely going to cheaper overseas labor instead. Companies can increasingly move jobs all over the globe pretty easily now. I work with way more foreigners than I did just 5 years ago.
There was a period during trump they started clamping down on h1bs

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Tbf, the graph needs to show data going back to before COVID started to get a good comparison. A lot of companies went on hiring sprees during that time period. The question is hiring getting back to pre COVID averages or is it dipping below that?
This I think it’s a mix of the covid booms and the 2010s VC hustle crashing down from interest rates and AI is the icing on top

• Dap
Reactions: tgu

King_Sage

All Star
Daps
I saw a live demo at my job that did an entire slice of a traditional project in 15 minutes

there was a reversal on outsourcing, keeping foreign numbers stable, but limiting new hires. are yal seeing this trend?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There was a period during trump they started clamping down on h1bs
I believe Biden rescinded all of those Trump era H1b visa Executive orders. And he's made things much easier for employment visa holders just like Obama did.

I don't even think you have to leave the country to renew employment visas under Biden. I used to see Indian employees flying back to resolve visa issues but not anymore.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw a live demo at my job that did an entire slice of a traditional project in 15 minutes

there was a reversal on outsourcing, keeping foreign numbers stable, but limiting new hires. are yal seeing this trend?
I was told by a Manager that AI would be used to mostly assist overseas labor. And the smokescreen saying it would be used to help mainly American workers. Was just so they wouldn't quit before passing on most of their knowledge first.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
My job is having big layoffs too. The whole industry. shyt wicked outchea.

Luckily my department is safe.

John Mexico

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Henderson, NV

I promise you AI isnt killing software engineering no time soon.
In the last month I have applied to 4500 jobs, largely with lazyApply but also the non annoying manual applications. Im EXPECTING and HOPING to get some good news within the next week but what a fukking ride.

Best cast scenario is that the interest rate start going down by Summer and the numbers actually pop back up