Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Regarding the whole Devin thing, the basic sentiment is this right here:

It's basically like that Boeing shyt. Product is really trying to boost value rather than it being anything really of substance imo.

Straight pump and dump, rug pull incoming. I already can hear the investors rolling in.

That team of 5 or so programmers they got about to get paid and dip on em :mjlol: :heh:

Finance bros from the top rope, every single time.

Last edited:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm in a heavy data science, data engineer, and analytics team and so far, AI has had 0 impact on jobs. It might be helping it because its not enough that AI can do the heavy lifting for what we do, it's the fact that you need domain knowledge of your industry and the specificity of it to interpret and apply the data. AI is wildly overblown so far but maybe that's because my field of work has adopted AI so early on and understand the limitations.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
The “AI will replace software engineer” propaganda is insane to me…it’s very clear people running with this thought have no idea what we actually do in the field
Yeah shyt is funny.

I remember a couple months ago some non-tech lady won a Hackathon using "nothing but A.I" vs real software engineers and deployed the app.

A couple months later she hired a team of software engineers and they're still hiring right now for more help :mjlol: :heh:

I already know a bunch of those people she hired probably hate the codebase they inherited from A.I and most likely have to start from scratch and rewrite most, if not all of it.

If you think Juniors write bad, unscalable code :wow:

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I've been applying to other remote roles (non-SWE) for J2. I'm getting about 30% denies (email replies) and ghosted on the rest.

Like legit entry level, low-effort, non-degree requiring clerical jobs are saying "no" and I'm giving them a salary range that they have listed. Resume has got very positive feedback when reviewed by professionals so I know it's not that. I'm expecting that if I can't get an interview for these roles, other people are probably getting it pretty bad right now. Job market seems flooded and it's not just tech.

Edit - basically this:

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/6
If you could fully automate software engineering (my job), I think that would be great, since I could then move on to higher-leverage things. Making software is a means to an end, not the end (software is different from art in that sense).

However I have not yet seen any signs that we're going to be able to automate more than an infinitesimal fraction of my job -- not even "this might work someday maybe if $100B gets invested in the area and if we're very lucky" type of signs. I wish!

2/6
The thing is, software engineering is not about copy/pasting code. Software engineering is the development and manipulation of mental models of problems and their solutions. It's thinking and problem solving.

If you had a machine that could craft mental models, you'd have AGI.

4/6
There's a lot of confusion in this area, because many people are under the impression that software is in fact about copy/pasting random code snippets -- which of course sounds highly automatable if you have an interpolative database of all software ever written.

And maybe for some devs that's what it is! But the way I see it, that kind of development is to software engineering what boilerplate copyediting is to storytelling.

5/6
Code is largely worthless, more of a liability than an asset. Problem-solving is where the value is.

6/6
Prediction: there will be more software engineers (the kind that write code, e.g. Python or C or JavaScript code) in five years than there are today.

For reference, there's an estimated 26-27M professional software engineers today. In 5 years, it should be between 30M and 35M.
GIf1ktgXUAAOtpg.jpg

GIf1n3BXsAEiwVt.jpg

GIf2KMeX0AAtJgA.jpg

GIgM2UsagAAJ6O5.jpg

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn only 7 minutes spent? I'll be glad when I'm done with this shytty field. Let AI have at it.
:yeshrug:

IBM Layoffs: In Seven-Minute Meeting, Tech Firm Announces Layoffs Across Two Divisions​

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps
Damn only 7 minutes spent? I'll be glad when I'm done with this shytty field. Let AI have at it.
:yeshrug:

IBM Layoffs: In Seven-Minute Meeting, Tech Firm Announces Layoffs Across Two Divisions​

What field you going in breh?

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
i'm in a heavy data science, data engineer, and analytics team and so far, AI has had 0 impact on jobs. It might be helping it because its not enough that AI can do the heavy lifting for what we do, it's the fact that you need domain knowledge of your industry and the specificity of it to interpret and apply the data. AI is wildly overblown so far but maybe that's because my field of work has adopted AI so early on and understand the limitations.

bagdad-bob.jpg

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
PM put their 2 week notice in, that's why his ass took two days to get back to my ticket comments (usually dude responds quick) :mjlol: :heh:

Cats are definitely jumping ship at my company.

Dude was with the company for a long ass time and if it's anything like the weak ass raises they've been giving then I'm pretty sure dude easily found a job that pays much more.

Just finished my resume. Touching it up this week and sending them out on Monday.
I wanna do this but i work remote. if i want to get a job that pays 30K more i would lose all that.

remote jobs are hard to find right now

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
im tired of making it to the 5th or 6th round and not getting an offer

by the 3rd interview you should kno if an employee is a good fit

all these fukking interviews to move rectangles around in Figma :snoop:
You're a better person than me. I did 3 rounds once and said I will never do that again. Don't care what the company/job is.