Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
It's bad. Employers know they're fukking employees. Just look at benefits and perks. Employers should have 401K/RRSP...some match 1:1 (ideal) many do not. That should be automatic for every employee at every company. If they're not going to offer pensions, step up the pay. I fear a lot of us are going to hit 65 and not be able to retire because there's no money.

That's the only good thing I say about government jobs is the pension. I get HOOPP as I work for a hospital, pension is matched. Also I've been working from home since march 2020 but no year end bonus, lucky to get a 3% raise but still thankful.

My mom is getting 3,500 a month from HOOPP and then 1,200 from CPP and then 700 from old age

And yeah my dad was a welder for over 40 years, no company pension. He got sort of lucky as the company closed when he was 63 and he got 150k severance. If not he would have retired with just what he had in the bank and CPP

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's nothing in cybersecurity. During the pandemic I was jumping ship for more money every 6 months. Companies that just got breached don't care about job hopping.
:yeshrug:

100%, I’ve been working as a platform engineer for a security product. If things go south @ my current gig I’m hoping to stay in the security space :wow::banderas:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's the only good thing I say about government jobs is the pension. I get HOOPP as I work for a hospital, pension is matched. Also I've been working from home since march 2020 but no year end bonus, lucky to get a 3% raise but still thankful.

My mom is getting 3,500 a month from HOOPP and then 1,200 from CPP and then 700 from old age

And yeah my dad was a welder for over 40 years, no company pension. He got sort of lucky as the company closed when he was 63 and he got 150k severance. If not he would have retired with just what he had in the bank and CPP

You see why people went head first into Real estate. I peeped this a long time ago.....I work private, I have no pension. My wife has pension but even I got her on the passive income tip. You need 2 other sources of income besides your day job. These companies have no loyalty, so you gotta protect yourself. Plain and simple.

My issue with gov jobs is the pay. It starts nice compared to private sector, but there's a cap. I occasionally look for a gov job but would be a paycut that I'm not willing to take right now.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Lol, you sound jaded and you’re twisting things. Top talent yes, jr’s also ready to step up is a gigantic yes. If we know someone is a job hopper we aren’t touching that candidate, it makes zero business sense. If we are going to invest resources into onboarding we would want at least a 22 month ROI
What if they had contract positions that only lasted a specified amount of time.

I’ve screened thousands of resumes in my lifetime. And yes, I would red flag, time at previous employer in addition to gaps in employment. But I didn’t discard all of those cv’s automatically. I hired some good people from that pile. And if your job has those protocols in place, obviously the candidate pool is oversaturated so you have that luxury. But it’s still a lazy approach.

voiture

Superstar
Daps
I don't see the issue with job hopping. The employers have created this problem.

1. Laying off without severance
2. Paying new hires more
3. Giving crappy raises
4. Not giving bonuses
5. No pension
6. Crazy vesting periods

It's Jerry McGuire all day over here.
New hires will always make more than you on the same skill set. Which is why you have to hop almost every 5 years or less unless you have some sort of a cushion senior level position.

morris

Superstar
Daps

Do your parents own their place? If not, while good money for now,hard to see if it lasts 20-30 years from now, especially if there is no healthcare or Medicaid/Veteran benefits
What if they had contract positions that only lasted a specified amount of time.

I’ve screened thousands of resumes in my lifetime. And yes, I would red flag, time at previous employer in addition to gaps in employment. But I didn’t discard all of those cv’s automatically. I hired some good people from that pile. And if your job has those protocols in place, obviously the candidate pool is oversaturated so you have that luxury. But it’s still a lazy approach.
What do you consider bad? Been 6 months for me though fro time to application to end of interviews is about 1.5-2 months on average. The holiday months subtracted 3 weeks, at least.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

What would be considered a gap? I'm curious.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. made it past coding challenges for a couple, and to the coding challenge for a couple others. The more laid back ones seem to vibe more than the more stick-up-your-ass corporate places. So hopefully mid March we'll be back in business, and hopefully with a raise

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Do your parents own their place? If not, while good money for now,hard to see if it lasts 20-30 years from now, especially if there is no healthcare or Medicaid/Veteran benefits

What do you consider bad? Been 6 months for me though fro time to application to end of interviews is about 1.5-2 months on average. The holiday months subtracted 3 weeks, at least.

Yup and house is worth like 2 mill but this in toronto so even if they were to sell :beli:

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Just withdrew my name from consideration after being asked to do a fourth interview on a Friday no less.

Get the fukk outta here Friday is considered the weekend for me. :mjlol:

:mjpls:

No work ethic I see

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjpls:

No work ethic I see
full

You got that right.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

What would be considered a gap? I'm curious.

It depends on several factors. What industry you’re in, age, child birth, or child care and previous work history. I would say 6 months to a year. Can be explained away.

Als, some people also, don’t update their resume. Some people simply don’t want to put certain jobs on their resume.