Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Everything is just down bad right now. I heard from someone recently that it's been nearly a year since Boeing has had a hiring freeze on hiring Mechanical Engineers. Imagine that for a second.

Even with all these layoffs, these major tech companies are still hiring software engineers but a world-renowned company packed with mechanical engineers (a field they're known for) hasn't hired a single one in nearly a year. That's a company who hires 100's (plural) of engineers at a time each year going down to zero. shyt is wild right now.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I've basically realized most people in this field are average and actually it's been set up to be that way, including many with nearly a decade of experience.

I know a lot of people with years of experience are getting spooked right now and "don't feel like a senior" as they don't have any deep knowledge in any one thing despite being 5-7 years in the industry.

But straight up, with how many people have been hired the last 10 years these companies have basically set it up so you didn't have to. Any company that is decent at what they do will have it set up so that if they hired 10k people that's a lot less work and knowledge requirements for every employee 9 times out of 10.

Chances are most people who'd be considered a senior with the amount of years they've worked don't really have a crazy specialty. If you feel like you're that person, you're probably a lot more common than you think and should apply for senior roles.

Last edited:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Everything is just down bad right now. I heard from someone recently that it's been nearly a year since Boeing has had a hiring freeze on hiring Mechanical Engineers. Imagine that for a second.

Even with all these layoffs, these major tech companies are still hiring software engineers but a world-renowned company packed with mechanical engineers (a field they're known for) hasn't hired a single one in nearly a year. That's a company who hires 100's (plural) of engineers at a time each year going down to zero. shyt is wild right now.
Where did you see that Boeing news at

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Where did you see that Boeing news at

I guess I should say it's an entry-level freeze.

I also checked their job listings page and does look a little dry for entry ME but a lot of "mid", "senior" and "experienced" and none remote (which I guess isn't common for ME). The entry levels I see are in India:

Last edited:

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
I've basically realized most people in this field are average and actually it's been set up to be that way, including many with nearly a decade of experience.

I know a lot of people with years of experience are getting spooked right now and "don't feel like a senior" as they don't have any deep knowledge in any one thing despite being 5-7 years in the industry.

But straight up, with how many people have been hired the last 10 years these companies have basically set it up so you didn't have to. Any company that is decent at what they do will have it set up so that if they hired 10k people that's a lot less work and knowledge requirements for any single one employee 9 times out of 10.

Chances are most people who'd be considered a senior with the amount of years they've worked don't really have a crazy specialty. If you feel like you're that person, you're probably a lot more common than you think about should apply for senior roles.
I don't even know what it means to be senior in this field. I guess understanding gateways/load balancers, how to setup authorization/authentication, when to use SQL/NoSQL, how to effectively cache and then know how to build microservices using function apps and service buses and how to handle throughput? Maybe you should be good at handling bureaucracy but if you're an IC you really don't even have to do that and could save that work for your PM/Scrum Master/etc.

Mid level you should be able to understand concepts like DDD and be good at orienting your code using SOLID design principals and the patterns found in the Erich Gamma book, but most folks suck at that too. :yeshrug:

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I don't even know what it means to be senior in this field. I guess understanding gateways/load balancers, how to setup authorization/authentication, when to use SQL/NoSQL, how to effectively cache and then know how to build microservices using function apps, and handle throughput? Maybe you should be good at handling bureaucracy but if you're an IC you really don't even have to do that and could save that work for your PM/Scrum Master/etc.

Mid level you should be able to understand concepts like DDD and be good at orienting your code using SOLID design principals and the patterns found in the Erich Gamma book, but most folks suck at that too. :yeshrug:
It's crazy, but I had to learn SOLID and other better ways to write cleaner code to fix/re-factor what we had. I've talked on here how I had to rewrite a large part of our code base.

I remember at my last job (before I learned that stuff) I was fixing a bug located in a section of code written by someone who was no longer there. In hindsight now I realized they were using a singleton/service holding all the state. At the time I thought it was just confusing and rewrote it to fix the bug because I didn't know what a singleton was. Everybody reviewing approved my changes to that code although I was a junior and I'm pretty sure most likely broke a few things and my changes most likely made things unscalable compared to the original code. This was at a company who most people here would probably know the name of.

Looking back at that I realize a lot of people really aren't on game like we all think and got zero idea what they're doing. It reminds me of this:

Edit: I guess these are Dropbox's formal definitions:
IC1: Junior (IC1: $177k according to Levels.fyi)
IC2: Mid ($264k)
IC3: Senior ($343k)
IC4: Tech Lead ($422k)

Senior just looks like someone who can take ownership of a feature from start to finish (including planning), collaborating with the non-engineering teams in order to gather the requirements to form a scalable solution that may need to adapt to changes. That may actually be who you think a mid-level is and like you said can delegate the rest to your PM.

Last edited:

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
yeah RTO mandates are failing because people either just swipe their badge and go home for tracking purposes or quit but remote/hybrid work isn't shrinking.

Yeah, how long is that going to be able to continue with no consequences? These media rags continue to gaslight the general public with bullshyt like how "The Great Resignation" created an indefinite employee's market. Unless you're of exceptional skill and importance or the company will benefit (usually financially) from remote work; if they demand a return to the office eventually they are going to enforce that and people will have to oblige, particularly in the hard hit tech market. If you look at the subreddit r/layoffs these tech people are facing a harsh reality. I'm sure they wish they had an office to return to beyond the unemployment office.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Looking back at that I realize a lot of people really aren't on game like we all think and got zero idea what they're doing.
I got a Principal on my team that is stumbling through everything and looking to me for guidance. 20+ years to my 6. I'm not the best SE out there, I just make it a point to be interested in how things work and have the presence of mind to Google shyt if I don't know it. People don't want to do that and it holds them back :hubie: .

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
yeah RTO mandates are failing because people either just swipe their badge and go home for tracking purposes or quit but remote/hybrid work isn't shrinking.
Ours they track your VPN connection as well, so if they really want to track you they can. But I think the thing that really fukks with them are the people that just don't comply and care them to do something about it.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
Ours they track your VPN connection as well, so if they really want to track you they can. But I think the thing that really fukks with them are the people that just don't comply and care them to do something about it.

A lot of c suite and management aint following the rules either so they gain nothing by strict enforcement :pachaha:

DJSmooth

Superstar
Daps
I got a Principal on my team that is stumbling through everything and looking to me for guidance. 20+ years to my 6. I'm not the best SE out there, I just make it a point to be interested in how things work and have the presence of mind to Google shyt if I don't know it. People don't want to do that and it holds them back :hubie: .

:hubie: you not doing corporate America right if you not actively trying to get him fired and take his spot.