Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
yeah RTO mandates are failing because people either just swipe their badge and go home for tracking purposes or quit but remote/hybrid work isn't shrinking.
Yup. Many places upper management and other seniors don't want to be there either so they'll all vouch for each other. Some people even have someone hold everyone's badges and scan them in then rotate who does that every week.

If a CEO wants to do something they can start coming in everyday to track people themselves. If they hire someone new to do it that new hire will basically be hated by everyone and get shown no respect which'll reflect poorly on their job to manage.

A friend I know works at a company like this. C-suite basically said "fukk it, remote work then it is".

Last edited:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Yup. Many places upper management and other seniors don't want to be there either so they'll all vouch for each other. Some people even have someone hold everyone's badges and scan them in then rotate who does that every week.

If a CEO wants to do something they can start coming in everyday to track people themselves. If they hire someone new to do it that new hire will basically be hated by everyone and get shown no respect which'll reflect poorly on their job to manage.

A friend I know works at a company like this. C-suite basically said "fukk it, remote work then it is".
I think y'all are underestimating how cutthroat things are in some of these companies. There are so many corporate snitches who will tell just to try and improve their own position in the company. At my old company we had people that dropped dime on our SEG team whose boss didn't follow the corporate mandate of coming into the office three days in a row.

I was the type of manager that didn't give a fukk what corporate said and would let my people still work from home. But it shocked me how many other managers didn't agree with the corporate mandate but still forced their employees to follow it. It was always the climbers who wanted to brag to the higher ups even though off the record they were pissed about the RTO movement.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I think y'all are underestimating how cutthroat things are in some of these companies. There are so many corporate snitches who will tell just to try and improve their own position in the company. At my old company we had people that dropped dime on our SEG team whose boss didn't follow the corporate mandate of coming into the office three days in a row.

I was the type of manager that didn't give a fukk what corporate said and would let my people still work from home. But it shocked me how many other managers didn't agree with the corporate mandate but still forced their employees to follow it. It was always the climbers who wanted to brag to the higher ups even though off the record they were pissed about the RTO movement.
Oh yeah for sure. I think you'd have far more success the smaller the company and closer the team(s).

This is honestly why to me it matters who does the interviews and screens as well. I want the coolest people possible who represent the team doing the interview to really check for personality fit. If they really vibed, there's a good chance they'd be a great addition. Some people are good at discerning a snitchy, me-first-type. If you let one in, that single person can do so much damage to company and team morale. It's also why when people have the luxury to, they need to get a feel for the company's culture and team they're interviewing with. I think a solid, diverse team is a good initial indicator that shows people can work together and just have a good vibe.

Last edited:

cheek100

Truuu
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
young fella i couldnt tell you how wrong you are

:dead: @cheek100 this guy thinks he can install a whole hvac system on his own :dead:

like i said @ me when the robots are mass produced and easily affordable, then i’ll actually take the convo seriously
Told u brother these ninjas will say anything to get out of work. When they get my age they the definition of flabby n unhealthy bc they been “sitting down” for 25+ years.

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Do you have any automation experience? Because if you did you’ll realize you should never say never. Or put too much faith in any one thing. There are people out there working diligently to automate as much as possible.
ight my guy go up in that attic and die thinking you know better :heh: good luck

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Told u brother these ninjas will say anything to get out of work. When they get my age they the definition of flabby n unhealthy bc they been “sitting down” for 25+ years.
these sittin here tryna tell us they can install a whole system by themselves, they get hit with 240+ we’ll see if they still feel that way

Last edited:

cheek100

Truuu
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
these sittin here tryna tell us they can install a whole system by themselves, they get hit with 240+ we’ll see if they still feel that way
haha it aint even the 240 these ninjas start cutting their hands on sum sharp its over. real ninjas draw a lil blood once a week :mjgrin:

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Honestly great career I know a guy who has been in hvac for years, he works for a company and then does his own side gig raking in dat dough
i know they make good money, but this has to be one of the worst trades due to conditions of labor.

From my understanding, if its minus 5 degrees outside and the ventelation system fails, then you call the hvac guy. Similarly, when its 105 degrees outside and everybody and every bussiness’ AC in town has failed ; then the hvac tech’s entire day is spent melting and cooking in the heat. :damn:

CBalla

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
i know they make good money, but this has to be one of the worst trades due to conditions of labor.

From my understanding, if its minus 5 degrees outside and the ventelation system fails, then you call the hvac guy. Similarly, when its 105 degrees outside and everybody and every bussiness’ AC in town has failed ; then the hvac tech’s entire day is spent melting and cooking in the heat. :damn:
and then i sell you a $15 capacitor for $300 :ahh:

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
i am scared of any role that doesnt require intermediate level at least in coding

IAM can be washed out by AI within a year
Not a chance. IT infrastructure and operations is pretty much AI resistant. There’s way too much compliance and checkboxes to check for you to push anything into production.

rlg

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not a chance. IT infrastructure and operations is pretty much AI resistant. There’s way too much compliance and checkboxes to check for you to push anything into production.

On top of that if you add a ts/sci clearance with some certs and you more than you good.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
i am scared of any role that doesnt require intermediate level at least in coding

IAM can be washed out by AI within a year
It CAN but how soon are enterprises gonna let go of legacy systems?

That shyt is the wet dreams of start ups and nerds let's be real