Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
Good report that breaks down how AI might impact your profession/industry: https://shrm-res.cloudinary.com/ima...-230956_Research_Gen-AI-Workplace_FINAL_1.pdf

1 interesting aspect not talked about is occupations where labor shortages exist. Even with AI, it will mostly close the gap but not create a surplus so those jobs are less likely to be automated.

Damn technical writing ain't looking too good :sadcam:

Sooner or later I'm gonna have to find something else to transition to

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Cyber and IT gonna be good for state and fed government jobs for a long time. I worked for the government 7 years, they're slow to incorporate new tech especially disrupting tech like AI. It's gonna get harder and harder in the public sector though.
This. I read posts about AI overtaking shyt and just laugh. I’m a gov contractor and yeah AI isn’t doing anything here anytime soon. Tbh even in private entities if you’re in infrastructure and solutions delivery then it’s pretty ai proof for now. Developers on the other hand….well you gotta be really skilled

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
I don't think it will be that easy.

Ai will eliminate the shyt coders but leaving your tech infrastructure to be atumatically developed will be a night mare to fix when it breaks.

Also storage to maximize the LLM is expensive as fukk too.

Companies are more hesitant to fully embrace than people lead on.

And that ain't even talking about implementing it in Healthcare Tech with the many different roadblocks it would encounter there between patient privacy + infrastructure as it pertains to specific areas like research, etc. That being said, don't sleep on healthcare tech brehs. Mfs gettin' laid off too but not as high of a clip as FAANG places. And if you can get certain certifications that aren't even available to the public, you're even more vertically (adjacent) integrated to a degree.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Mashallah brehs :wow: I did! I got the help desk role. It's not a lot of money only, 45k , but it's fully remote and my first remote job. Praise the most high 🙌🏿 🙏🏿 :mjcry:thank you GOD

countdooku-justbeginning.gif

Congrats fam

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

September

Symbol Of Excellence
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Idaho.
I'm on a company town hall now with the CEO talking about how many jobs our competitors have cut in the last few months while pretending we didn't do the same lol. Makes it hard to trust them when they say that we won't be doing the same again.
This was my company last year. Bragging in the October town hall about how we managed to keep the business intact, “a testament to our work”. Come January ‘23 they lay off 10% of the company. This is the second year we miss sales targets - CEO got replaced just this week and I expect there to be more cuts. Considering my salary is in the higher range, I always expect to be chopped just to be replaced by someone they’ll pay less. I understand most states are at-will employment but there honestly should be laws in place for that, if there aren’t already.

Last edited:

September

Symbol Of Excellence
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Idaho.
Mashallah brehs :wow: I did! I got the help desk role. It's not a lot of money only, 45k , but it's fully remote and my first remote job. Praise the most high 🙌🏿 🙏🏿 :mjcry:thank you GOD
As soon as you can handle it, start getting as much as you can out of the job re: education, certificates, engagement, mentorship. Look at it as a short term stepping stone. Literally bleed them dry as much as you can l and once you feel stable enough to do it. Have a game plan to get out for your next opportunity at the same time.