Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Whats weird is that the fed has already stopped raising interest rates , inflation is down, and the economy is booming. The big scary recession they were worried about never came. A fed soft landing was lowkey achieved.

There literally is no excuse for them to keep firing people other than pocketing their salaries for shareholders

Woah.....the US is not out of the woods just yet. Remember, inflation is down but rates are high as fukk and there is a lag effect to raising rates. Also it's harder for companies to borrow money. All this talk about "needing to be profitable" is very popular now. Borrowing money at 1.5% and investing in growth is a whole diff ballgame than borrowing at 10% while salaries move up and costs on everything is elevated.

So AI makes it even easier to lay people off. It's a double whammy. High rates/high inflation and AI.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Whats weird is that the fed has already stopped raising interest rates , inflation is down, and the economy is booming. The big scary recession they were worried about never came. A fed soft landing was lowkey achieved.

There literally is no excuse for them to keep firing people other than pocketing their salaries for shareholders

greed

Forsaken

All Star
Daps

More layoffs will come. I'm more interested in the average salary of the people being fired.

It's not like most companies can't trim the fat and still maintain operations.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Tech-Layoffs-01232024-1.jpg

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
@JT-Money Is it just tech companies with these mass layoffs? What about regular companies with a tech department, any data on them besides the big names?

I work IT for a hospital :patrice:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@JT-Money Is it just tech companies with these mass layoffs? What about regular companies with a tech department, any data on them besides the big names?

I work IT for a hospital :patrice:
Depends on the industry but I'm seeing an uptick in outsourcing of IT jobs overseas again.

My last two companies laid off people in the US while at the same time increasing headcount overseas. We're a long way from the IT job market stabilizing in my opinion.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

i mean there are two big wars going on plus China is reeling from bad government policies and its not yet clear that the economy is over any hurdles that might push us into a deep recession.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Read that yesterday. Like wtf. 8000?? Yikes.

Right now since they can’t hit growth targets costs are the easiest thing to address and that’s jobs…not bloated CEO salaries or massive bonuses for the executives. It’s squeezing ppl out of jobs.

And guess what? The stock increases. I bet if the stock dropped 15% for every layoff companies would fall back. Right now it’s about laying off as many as you can and getting the stock to move up.

Capitalism baby!

Last edited:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no experience, just a CS degree I got back in 2019. Decided to give this SWE thing one last shot and have been learning Swift and practicing my LeetCode. I started applying for SWE positions on the 1st of this month. Finally got a request for interview for a remote iOS Developer position. Wish me luck.:manny:
Lmao tell me why these people never got back to me after I scheduled the interview.:mjlol:

It’s a cruel world out here. Stay safe yall.:damn:

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
why not start a group for referrals? i'm sure some of us get hit up by recruiters and can simply pass along to some of yall who might be in between employment.

any devsecops or devops people on here with azure security experience?