Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

One trend to look for in 2024 is rolling or tiered layoffs, Wahlquist adds. Instead of reducing head count all at once, companies will likely conduct smaller rounds of layoffs over time, perhaps targeting different departments at different times -- this allows for more flexibility and for easier workload transitions for current employees. "No business wants to guess wrong and cut too many jobs too soon, which could put them at a competitive disadvantage, lower employee morale, and negatively impact the company's brand and reputation as a great workplace," Wahlquist says.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Pretty much you need the company that is hiring you to sponsor you for a clearance. With a lot of jobs being remote, if a job has been on the market for a long time and you are the only applying for it, they may give you a shot if accessing classified terminals is not required often. Another way, is to take a job with a gov contractor company that doesn’t require a clearance. After a while, ask them to sponsor you. I know GDIT had a few jobs like that. The easiest way is to join the military. Not Active Duty, but either the National Guard or Reserves and taking a cyber job. You’ll get a clearance, plus certain jobs will pay for Sec+ which is often a requirement for many jobs in government contracting. Linux and Cloud experience is in high demand right now as well.

Once you get a security clearance, the job market opens up a lot. If they bump you up to a higher clearance, you should be golden when it comes to finding jobs anywhere in the government world.

Take it from me, I only had a clearance and security + when I applied to my current job. No real IT experience, and I got hired for a good paying job first try.
this was my story as well.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Did you go on clearance jobs to apply for your current job?
Clearance Jobs posts a lot of these jobs, yes.

Firms like AWS, Microsoft, Boeing, Booz Allen also post these jobs on their public jobs web pages as well (sometimes they are buried under the jobs page, look for things like Microsoft jobs for Vets/Cleared....)

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

One trend to look for in 2024 is rolling or tiered layoffs, Wahlquist adds. Instead of reducing head count all at once, companies will likely conduct smaller rounds of layoffs over time, perhaps targeting different departments at different times -- this allows for more flexibility and for easier workload transitions for current employees. "No business wants to guess wrong and cut too many jobs too soon, which could put them at a competitive disadvantage, lower employee morale, and negatively impact the company's brand and reputation as a great workplace," Wahlquist says.

screw these greedy azz companies

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Told nikkaz to think about this shyt when companies were crying and begging for warm bodies. All theatrics.

The irony though is they complain about people not working hard enough, who would work hard when companies cut with impunity. We cut some people the other day and I don't even understand why. All those yearly reviews mean nothing. Just dangling the carrot :camby:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Clearance Jobs posts a lot of these jobs, yes.

Firms like AWS, Microsoft, Boeing, Booz Allen also post these jobs on their public jobs web pages as well (sometimes they are buried under the jobs page, look for things like Microsoft jobs for Vets/Cleared....)
Thanks dap and rep

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Bout time for me to update my resume. Especially since this year contract only about 4-5 months from ending, if they don't end it sooner cuz you never know what's finna happen wit project grants and shyt.

Don't be scared to pay a mf to redo yo shyt either brehs. You ain't gotta go as far as me (paid $500 to redo my resume and LinkedIn but also got to interview prep wit him via video etc).

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
DMV brehs FEAST on 6/6/6 with an active sec clearance. Brehs don't even get out of bed for less than 120k if they got certs or language skills on top of that. Hybrid remote (though most will be on site due to opsec), full bennies...it's a no-brainer for a vet to get a DMV gig. That's what I did.

5 years, couple of gigs. One was a gov think thank, and they sponsored my TS + SCI. I had an expired S from the Navy, so they said fukk it let's put you up for the whole shyt cuz we value your skills. Investigated for a year, they're real thorough and will ask you tons of questions (don't lie). Then you get your clearance, pay your dues back to the gov (I did 3 years) then cash in with an active clearance. Sky's the limit.

I got a DOJ contractor gig and it was 100k just to walk in the door. Right before the pandemic they were on a hiring frenzy. Lockdown came and they switched us all to hybrid, 1 week home 1 week office. At home I didn't do shyt cuz all our work was classified and couldn't be taken out of the site.

Get your clearance. No faster path to 6/6/6 gang.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Bout time for me to update my resume. Especially since this year contract only about 4-5 months from ending, if they don't end it sooner cuz you never know what's finna happen wit project grants and shyt.

Don't be scared to pay a mf to redo yo shyt either brehs. You ain't gotta go as far as me (paid $500 to redo my resume and LinkedIn but also got to interview prep wit him via video etc).
Mind if I hit your PM about this breh? Ready to hit these interviews hard again, and may need to consult on improving my resume.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Mind if I hit your PM about this breh? Ready to hit these interviews hard again, and may need to consult on improving my resume.

Yup
af69af3c-2977-4071-b26f-89123ccd2de8_text.gif

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Told nikkaz to think about this shyt when companies were crying and begging for warm bodies. All theatrics.

The irony though is they complain about people not working hard enough, who would work hard when companies cut with impunity. We cut some people the other day and I don't even understand why. All those yearly reviews mean nothing. Just dangling the carrot :camby:
It's all about boosting the stock price but it always backfires on these companies.

Daps
Its the complete opposite here in the cleared world. These defense contractors are hiring like crazy. They can't outsource these jobs so no FOB Panjeets/Changs to worry about and there ain't enough cleared folks to replace these boomers. If you are in networking/cyber, an American citizen, and you have a clean record...come get this contractor money brehs:blessed:

Booz Allen/Leidos/Lockheed/GDIT/AWS Cleared/Rtx/etc. All have thousands of postings.
Working on a clearance with one of those.

The bolded is the best attribute. At this point, I just want to stick somewhere and not have a big worry about cuts (will be better prepared even if it does). Government ain't cutting funds to these contractors. They're going through a hiring boom in my part where I'm working.

Fully remote and had NO Leetcode, NO "tell me about ___________ and how you _________________" during the interview. Just talked shop, easy sailing.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I still would only work for the Feds as a last resort. You can't trust these Federal contract companies. And if Republicans get back in power they could shutdown the government or cut spending to the bone. Years ago when Obama was in office thousands of contractors got laid off due to Republicans cutting the budget.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Everything said about clearance jobs is spot on.

Caveat: less flexibility (in office or firm hybrid at the most, can't be a digital nomad, can't OE). But if you can accept that, straight cash.