Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Still a need for engineers in other fields. Smart people follow the money.
Yeah, all I'm saying is it's probably going to get very top and seniority-heavy like the other STEM fields.

People were having a pretty difficult time in those other fields before tech kind of gave them a better financial path. Now that it's drying up we're falling back to a new floor.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah, all I'm saying is it's probably going to get very top and seniority-heavy like the other STEM fields.

People were having a pretty difficult time in those other fields before tech kind of gave them a better financial path. Now that it's drying up we're falling back to a new floor.
I been in tech over a decade so im blessed in that aspect but will have to deal with companies getting cheap but this shyt and seeing what happened in thenpast has me like idk how folks can just work forever the corporate games alone will kill you

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
I don’t think it has hit the news yet but there was a huge Google layoff tonight. Thankfully my brother is safe. 2024 is going to be rough.

A chick I know has been there for 3 years so far and I wonder if she’s on the chopping block. Google leased a TON of space here in the city and there’s no way it can be feasible to keep those spaces packed with people. This yeah is already getting wild with the layoffs

LinkedIn is about to be the most popular app behind Instagram because everyone is on the hunt. You see some shít that has been posted for a day and that joint will have 2000 applications already. It’s a bloodbath out here. Lot of folks are begrudgingly staying at jobs they probably don’t like just for the stability.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I been in tech over a decade so im blessed in that aspect but will have to deal with companies getting cheap but this shyt and seeing what happened in thenpast has me like idk how folks can just work forever the corporate games alone will kill you
It's true.

Now I realize why so many mechanical engineers back in the early 2000's tried to (and did) start their own business after 10-15 years.

We kind of lost that insight I think because the golden handcuffs the last decade these companies were throwing around.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
It's true.

Now I realize why so many mechanical engineers back in the early 2000's tried to (and did) open their own business after 10-15 years.

We kind of lost that I think because the golden handcuffs the last decade these companies were throwing around.
Yeah I'm at that point where my mind is shifting to minimalism eliminate all debt then retire and from there I will start a family.

I see why dudes die early dealing with work stress managing a family and tryna keep marriage in sync

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
What is FIRE?
Financial Independence Retire Early. Whole movement, philosophy, behind it basically live on small percentage of your income with being about minimalism, get your expenses in check and invest large percentage of income in passive investments that can grow to cover your expenses quickly to retire sooner than later.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Financial Independence Retire Early. Whole movement, philosophy, behind it basically live on small percentage of your income with being about minimalism, get your expenses in check and invest large percentage of income in passive investments that can grow to cover your expenses quickly to retire sooner than later.
Got it yeah I looked it up and it made sense didn't know they had a name for it.

I think lot of us knew we needed to do this but the good times made us procrastinate and push it off lol

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Got it yeah I looked it up and it made sense didn't know they had a name for it.

I think lot of us knew we needed to do this but the good times made us procrastinate and push it off lol
@Blessings posted reddit links above, the info you will find in there is legit and all you really need. They really making moves in there and have been for yearsss.. Its not a game, time for procrastination is long gone. Make move$ breh.

The Realist Perspective

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
UBI is honestly the only answer. Why bother hiring people when AI / machines can provide a more consistent quality service? F it man. That’s the ultimate goal anyways. No one wants to work, they just want to survive.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
I think we need to pop off a discord as something's should be talked about behind closed doors and TLR gets massive traffic from search engines/social media

Agreed. And also why “verification” needs to be a thing if not here on a platform — like discord — where everyone who wants in will show themselves on video in real time. Show a current coli thread on their device for all to see and say their screen name in order to get in. We got too many real discussions being had/or need to be had and things are wide open for all to see.

Ball is in your court to kick it off. Ain’t nothing to start a discord channel. I’m sure people would support it.

Oldschooler

All Star
Daps
It's true.

Now I realize why so many mechanical engineers back in the early 2000's tried to (and did) start their own business after 10-15 years.

We kind of lost that insight I think because the golden handcuffs the last decade these companies were throwing around.
The early 2000s was a blood bath for mechanical and electrical engineers. I'm a civil eng myself but i ended up in construction because i couldn't find a design job. If you've been around long enough you know that everything comes in waves.

I knew many young engineers that transitioned to tech because of pay in the last 5 years. Unfortunately any well paying job faces pressures from saturation in labor market. Tech has been so hot that there's zero requirements for education and background. It's all about your performance. No other profession is like that. There's also constant mindset of innovating which is draining to an employee.