Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
shyt is getting brutal out here, including for the companies themselves.

I didn't know Discord was that small of a team/company either where 170 employees is nearly 1/5 of their entire company.

The first reply is a really good point. A lot of companies aren't going to make it.

Crazy to hear about the Google hardware teams as well.

Meanwhile, stay clear of companies like this:

Last edited:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Wow sorry dude not my fellow gunner :to:
My manager kinda told me last week he thought some fukkery was afoot, so i started updating my resume late last week and started job searching lightly Monday. So now just applying more vigirously. 1 interview set up so far, but I think I sent out 20 apps these past 2 days. So I'll keep things up to date.

Just really need to spend time this year getting my startup going so I can be done with corporate completely

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Guess I'll join the rest of the group. I knew this year it was a possibility, but it came early. Luckily I started a light job search earlier this week. We'll see what happens tho. I see my old employer still has a spot open 👀

Man, I’d be like

a8d862f9778522e0263940a259006e1d_w200.gif

morris

Superstar
Daps
shyt is getting brutal out here, including for the companies themselves.

I didn't know Discord was that small of a team/company either where 170 employees is nearly 1/5 of their entire company.

The first reply is a really good point. A lot of companies aren't going to make it.

Crazy to hear about the Google hardware teams as well.

In a nutshell A LOT of startups, especially SaaS-based will go from nice to have to mandatory once the funding runs out. And the cream will rise to the top.

My manager kinda told me last week he thought some fukkery was afoot, so i started updating my resume late last week and started job searching lightly Monday. So now just applying more vigirously. 1 interview set up so far, but I think I sent out 20 apps these past 2 days. So I'll keep things up to date.

Just really need to spend time this year getting my startup going so I can be done with corporate completely
My ratio has been about 1:10 for applications to interviews

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
In a nutshell A LOT of startups, especially SaaS-based will go from nice to have to mandatory once the funding runs out. And the cream will rise to the top.

My ratio has been about 1:10 for applications to interviews
You know what's funny is I think it'll end up like all the other STEM jobs out there around the early 2010's.

Prior to the tech rush, a lot of Math, Physics, Engineering majors ended up doing data entry/spread sheet/etc. type work after getting advanced degrees.
Prior to the tech hoopla last decade, people were talking about the raised bar of entry for normal jobs.
Like I know of a few Physics majors who were straight bartenders in the early 2010's.

When tech and innovation started to blow up, those people who had those degrees started to go into that field (along with the rush to switch their majors for those in college).
Now that the smoke is clearing and money running out, I wonder if we're retreating back to those times: a bunch of advanced degrees doing basic jobs while the top talent do actually get those tech jobs (and holding their positions with seniority).

Big tech was basically a delay to the inevitable direction we were heading into around 2012/2013.
Right now I think we're hurting due to lack of innovation and expansion (in addition to too much bullshyt/vapor ware).

Basically, so many skilled people, so few jobs.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Another not-so-bad take imo (both the original post and first half of the reply):

You say the word "Full Stack" and everybody lost their minds back then.

this shyt a wake up call to lotta folks to stack bread and retire early lol. It just sucks for folks who get in at the tail end of the glory days + those getting in now. The difference in the past is there was a new industry that popped up where everyone could pivot to (like how ton of folks entered tech in the 90s or early 2000s with no formal background), but with AI (whether legit or not) it's spooky as to what the pivot could even be,

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this shyt a wake up call to lotta folks to stack bread and retire early lol. It just sucks for folks who get in at the tail end of the glory days + those getting in now. The difference in the past is there was a new industry that popped up where everyone could pivot to (like how ton of folks entered tech in the 90s or early 2000s with no formal background), but with AI (whether legit or not) it's spooky as to what the pivot could even be,
Been saying if you’re not on overemployed + FIRE you’re slacking
This goes without saying the closer you are to REVENUE generating product/service the better it is. Supporting program/project management, analyst roles bout to be a dub.

Forsaken

All Star
Daps
You know what's funny is I think it'll end up like all the other STEM jobs out there around the early 2010's.

Prior to the tech rush, a lot of Math, Physics, Engineering majors ended up doing data entry/spread sheet/etc. type work after getting advanced degrees.
Prior to the tech hoopla last decade, people were talking about the raised bar of entry for normal jobs.
Like I know of a few Physics majors who were straight bartenders in the early 2010's.

When tech and innovation started to blow up, those people who had those degrees started to go into that field (along with the rush to switch their majors for those in college).
Now that the smoke is clearing and money running out, I wonder if we're retreating back to those times: a bunch of advanced degrees doing basic jobs while the top talent do actually get those tech jobs (and holding their positions with seniority).

Big tech was basically a delay to the inevitable direction we were heading into around 2012/2013. Right now I think we're hurting due to lack of innovation and expansion (in addition to too much bullshyt/vapor ware).

So many skilled people, so few jobs.
Still a need for engineers in other fields. Smart people follow the money.