Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
We had a bunch of cancellations and a dip in sales in Q3 so they laid off 30% of the sales team.

Had a company meeting and the CEO mentioned we’re in another hiring now so they won’t be replacing those sales roles.

Which means we’ll probably have another dip in sales for Q4 unless everyone in that department works 70+ hour weeks.

The decision making around here is some real brain dead shyt :snoop:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m trying to build a network of offshore companies and trying to offer consulting for them. I think offshore will just continue to be a focus.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
We had a bunch of cancellations and a dip in sales in Q3 so they laid off 30% of the sales team.

Had a company meeting and the CEO mentioned we’re in another hiring now so they won’t be replacing those sales roles.

Which means we’ll probably have another dip in sales for Q4 unless everyone in that department works 70+ hour weeks.

C-Suite basically never gets held accountable for their bad decisions, so the problems continue because the root of it aren't replaced (the people making bad decisions).

This is why sites like Glassdoor and them exist. To basically give warnings to those from joining ticking time bomb companies.

We need better verification systems, tools and awareness to inform people of what to look for and what to ask these companies (interviewing the company while they're interviewing you).

People join really shyt companies with the hopes they'll be around for a long time, but end up joining a desperate company with horrible long term outlooks (not saying that your company falls under this category). That's tough to raise a family if you're counting on the salary and longterm stability.

Van Cleef

All Star
Daps
Tech will always be around. Skilled work (meaning actual problems) being done the right way will always be valued, period.

The recent explosion was because of the rush of entry-level. That's calmed down, somewhat. I still know of people getting their foot in the door.

I have more experience and get hit up consistently for new jobs but when I suggest other people because I want them to get their foot in the door the same recruiter tells me they're not looking for any entry-level. Same recruiter who tells me there are a ton of companies looking for positions tell me not for entry though.

At the end of the day when you understand how much hardware has been replaced by software, you know there'll always be a demand for something.

Software is too flexible of a field. It's insane how many fields you can get into instead of simple web, especially if you have a formal degree.
I still suggest people learn to code (especially to go to school for it).

if you're entry level you need to fake experience on your resume. Not too much but just enough. Play the game or get played.

Spence

Superstar
Daps

Are you on that sales team? How will your job be affected? Def time to start looking if the outlook of the company isn’t good

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
@JT-Money @Spence

I haven’t worked since like mid 2021, Left to run my business full time but have been looking to go back to work recently.

This is the first time i’ve ever had a gap more than a few months. At first I put on my resume that I was self employed but since it has nothing to do with IT (e-commerce) it seems to be a deterrent to some recruiters, But also I notice the 2+year gap is kind of the same as it makes people wonder why its been so long.

What yall think I should do in regards to it on my resume?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Must be nice :to:
It's a journey breh
I been a developer for over a decade, only in the last 3 yrs or so have FAANG companies been reaching out to me or giving me interviews
Majority of my career I couldn't even get interviews with companies like JP Morgan or Comcast, now I'm in position where I've turned down multiple offers from both. It takes time, especially if you weren't lucky enough to work for big tech right out of college

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@JT-Money @Spence

I haven’t worked since like mid 2021, Left to run my business full time but have been looking to go back to work recently.

This is the first time i’ve ever had a gap more than a few months. At first I put on my resume that I was self employed but since it has nothing to do with IT (e-commerce) it seems to be a deterrent to some recruiters, But also I notice the 2+year gap is kind of the same as it makes people wonder why its been so long.

Whenever I had a gap it was easy to call up a business owner friend. And put down I did consulting for their company. That was years ago when I was first starting out in the field.

Recruiters only make a big deal about job hopping or resume gaps when the job market is trash. Right now they'll look for any reason to reject candidates.

https://www.leet.co/blog/how-to-explain-gaps-on-a-resume#:~:text=People%20often%20want%20to%20devote,energized%20to%20return%20to%20work.”

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
It's a journey breh
I been a developer for over a decade, only in the last 3 yrs or so have FAANG companies been reaching out to me or giving me interviews
Majority of my career I couldn't even get interviews with companies like JP Morgan or Comcast, now I'm in position where I've turned down multiple offers from both. It takes time, especially if you weren't lucky enough to work for big tech right out of college
The right resume changes can get interest, but it's hard (at least for me) to get through the damn interviews. I think I'm 3 for Amazon, 1 maybe 2 for Microsoft, 1 for Apple, 1 or 2 for Facebook 1 for Google. Still stuck :mjcry: . Don't waste your opportunities brehs.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
@JT-Money @Spence

You could just say you left the workforce (you did) to focus on other areas. Women do it all the time and say it was for starting a family etc. I would def address it though, I’ve seen some people put they took a sabbatical and left it vague to prompt questions they had really good answers for.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
The right resume changes can get interest, but it's hard (at least for me) to get through the damn interviews. I think I'm 3 for Amazon, 1 maybe 2 for Microsoft, 1 for Apple, 1 or 2 for Facebook 1 for Google. Still stuck :mjcry: . Don't waste your opportunities brehs.
You're saying you got 3 amazon interviews and failed them all?
Yea the interviews are hard, that's a whole other topic, but at least GETTING the interview is a huge hurdle in itself for some people
It seems like once you get in the pipeline it's way easier to get more chances, for instance google usually gives you a direct contact to contact after the cool down period if you fail.