Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Yea, its rough. There are gangs of people not getting interviews. Ive gotten interviews for 6/9 positions I applied to this year, and was a finalist in 4, and didnt get the job. A few people I know are in that same lucky group: we get interviews but cant close the deal.

Better than being the folks who get no response, but it is a sign of the times.
Last year I told my cousin to major in nursing instead of going into computer science. I'm glad she listened to me.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Competition is insane

Can’t find a 2nd remote. One salary even @ $150k isn’t enough to truly move the needle. I’m burnt out from applications and interviews. Since the layoff I applied to at least 700 jobs.

6 final round interviews. 0 offers so far. 4 out of the 6 companies offered feed back mentioning I was a great candidate.

RevOps - Consulting, Project Management, Program Management, Customer Success, IT Business Operations roles.
W/Salesforce Sales Cloud, CPQ, NetSuite ERP, Oracle Cloud, Oracle EBS experience. Solid finance, accounting, supply chain, and manufacturing experience.

We really in a tech recession
It's not a tech recession. It's a paradigm shift.
1) All that free money is coming to an end and VCs feeling the pinch
2) Large language models like GPT means smaller teams

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Amazon, JPM, and Meta recruiters hit me up recently. No 3rd party recruiters though. Hired , who I got multiple offers through last time around, said my profile is hot and in demand and I should try again. My boss boss recently said our team is understaffed for our roadmap but it's unlikely we get help anytime soon. So I guess that's good. They really squeezing juice from us though, with expectations and responsibilities. Can't do nothing about it in this market though and I'm too busy (and frankly tired of) to even do interview prep or leetcoding anyway

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Tech will always be around. Skilled work (meaning actual problems) being done the right way will always be valued, period.

The recent explosion was because of the rush of entry-level. That's calmed down, somewhat. I still know of people getting their foot in the door.

I have more experience and get hit up consistently for new jobs but when I suggest other people because I want them to get their foot in the door the same recruiter tells me they're not looking for any entry-level. Same recruiter who tells me there are a ton of companies looking for positions tell me not for entry though.

At the end of the day when you understand how much hardware has been replaced by software, you know there'll always be a demand for something.

Software is too flexible of a field. It's insane how many fields you can get into instead of simple web, especially if you have a formal degree.
I still suggest people learn to code (especially to go to school for it).

Last edited:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I have an analyst role open in my company, this is the most junior role on the team, basic sql excel analytics, over 1000 applicants in like a week. Lots of highly highly qualified people from the best schools. Competition is fukkin tough.
The only problem with that is if there’s ANY sign of a pickup or better opportunity for one of those top school candidates they are on the next thing smoking.

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
For SWEs yeah, but Program Managers and Marketing tech roles are fukkin dry. 2000 applicants for one role :why:

I don’t know what these news sites are talking bout, competition is fukkin crazy. Homeboy is a VP of tech and no one is replying back to him.
Had a guy get let go from my company, early 50's 20 VP titles at known places in tech....hes been having to work his network like crazy to break through the noise on partnership roles. 200 applicants the first 3 days type of nonsense.

Liberty Mutual about to do dropping mad bodies this week too.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Tech will always be around. Skilled work (meaning actual problems) being done the right way will always be valued, period.

The recent explosion was because of the rush of entry-level. That's calmed down, somewhat. I still know of people getting their foot in the door.

I have more experience and get hit up consistently for new jobs but when I suggest other people because I want them to get their foot in the door the same recruiter tells me they're not looking for any entry-level. Same recruiter who tells me there are a ton of companies looking for positions tell me not for entry though.

At the end of the day when you understand how much hardware has been replaced by software, you know there'll always be a demand for something.

Software is too flexible of a field. It's insane how many fields you can get into instead of simple web, especially if you have a formal degree.
I still suggest people learn to code (especially to go to school for it).
Uhhh it depends. One of the main reasons I got my computer engineering degree is that its very niche. If you want to program there's always embedded development. You need to know about embedded systems, something some bootcamp weirdo wont much about. So yeah... go into software jobs that are niche and hard for the average joe to walk into (Embedded development, firmware development etc.)

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Uhhh it depends. One of the main reasons I got my computer engineering degree is that its very niche. If you want to program there's always embedded development. You need to know about embedded systems, something some bootcamp weirdo wont much about. So yeah... go into software jobs that are niche and hard for the average joe to walk into (Embedded development, firmware development etc.)
I'm actually finishing up an Electrical Engineering degree right now and already have a CS degree, but even then, entry level is difficult to break into for hardware.

Plus the remote work options are far less which sucks. I mean if you need a homelab to work remote, that still ain't as flexible as only needing a laptop to do 100% of the work from any location in the world (now with all the smart goggles you can take a multi-monitor set-up on the go). Plus many job sites for hardware are only in specific locations as well which kills more options. I'm over that in-office shyt so already there are fewer jobs available for that field that'd I'd want to work already.

Additionally, to be honest hardware don't pay as high as pure software does for most cases. I met a few embedded cats making $150k-$200k (I spend some time in San Diego so Qualcomm is right there), but I met a software cat a couple months back making $700k (and fully remote). I'm sure they're out there, but I see it far less common for normal hardware engineers to be raking that in consistently. I know of another Front End engineer making over $500k working for a non-tech company.

All this together means someone can get a high-paying job and live somewhere with LCOL doing pure software, whereas many hardware fields are stuck with HCOL options. I know you can get pure software roles with other degrees, but it's still harder than having a CS degree. It still feels like electrical and hardware still carries dinosaur work culture with it. So working that field is kind of tough as you're in-between two points: either competing with CS majors for software roles or having to fall back to doing work in dinosaur culture. Every now and then you can land a gem like a remote hardware job with a forward-thinking company, but that's far from the standard like software is.

Plus a lot of the cutting edge hardware is really done by the PhD Physics researchers really. They probably got the most secure jobs which is funny considering how limiting only having a BS Physics is.

Last edited: