Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As I said. In due time. Machines will be far more effective at threat detection and prevention than any human could ever be. Also understand that AI will also be used as a tool to locate vulnerabilities and initiate attacks in the first place. AI is an arms race. It's a wrap friend. Within the next decade, all tech jobs that aren't machine learning focused will be phased out. Engineering will be hit hard as well. Humans won't be able to compete with AI in designing structures or electrical circuits for instance.
I don't doubt the technology just the idiots running most Corporations. They'll figure out some way to even fukk up machine learning. And eventually hire overpriced consultants to come in and fix things.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
I don't doubt the technology just the idiots running most Corporations. They'll figure out some way to even fukk up machine learning. And eventually hire overpriced consultants to come in and fix things.
There's no question that's why it isn't ubiquitous yet. You've got folks fighting their own obselencense.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't really checked my personal gmail in like a month and I got over 1000 emails from various recruiters hitting me up for contracts. Even at the height of the "tech layoff" I was still getting flooded with calls, texts, voicemails, and emails from recruiters :manny:
My nikka listen. Every Tom d1ck and Harry is getting calls from recruiters. The question is, are you actually qualified for all the jobs they are sending? Even if you think you are, when you go to the interview, are you sure you’ll actually get the job. I’ve seen so many posts here with y’all talking about getting calls from recruiters who are really just mass calling potential candidates.

Don’t be so reliant on those calls you’re getting as if they’re actual offer letters. They are not.

Slic Ric

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
My nikka listen. Every Tom d1ck and Harry is getting calls from recruiters. The question is, are you actually qualified for all the jobs they are sending? Even if you think you are, when you go to the interview, are you sure you’ll actually get the job. I’ve seen so many posts here with y’all talking about getting calls from recruiters who are really just mass calling potential candidates.

Don’t be so reliant on those calls you’re getting as if they’re actual offer letters. They are not.
Tech market is brutal atm + everything is 5 days On-Site now

Last edited:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

I had 3 different remote contracts at the same time this year (was pulling in about 40k/mo). Nike, Merryl Lynch, and Brown Forman (owner of Jack Daniels brands). I also turned down a role from IHG group (Regent, Crown Plaza, Holiday Inn, etc.) as well.

Not sure what to tell y'all nikkas :manny:
Tech market is brutal atm + everything is 5 days On-Site now
I'm laying in my bed right now smoking weed :umad:

Last edited:

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
As I said. In due time. Machines will be far more effective at threat detection and prevention than any human could ever be. Also understand that AI will also be used as a tool to locate vulnerabilities and initiate attacks in the first place. AI is an arms race. It's a wrap friend. Within the next decade, all tech jobs that aren't machine learning focused will be phased out. Engineering will be hit hard as well. Humans won't be able to compete with AI in designing structures or electrical circuits for instance.

AI can't even get self driving cars right :unimpressed:

I think some of y'all getting a bit carried away by generative AI being able to make code and write essays; but unless your tech job is just base drudgery and turning the wheel, AI will be an additional tool in the kit, not something that will replace your job. We're decades away from AI that's able to train itself, learn new skills without human prompts, and dispose of human oversight.

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps

I think some of y'all getting a bit carried away by generative AI being able to make code and write essays; but unless your tech job is just base drudgery and turning the wheel, AI will be an additional tool in the kit, not something that will replace your job. We're decades away from AI that's able to train itself, learn new skills without human prompts, and dispose of human oversight.
I think a bit shorter than decades but I see your point. To me gen AI is at the "Netscape Navigator/AOL" stage. It's now entering public consciousness and becoming the new "thing." Before Netscape and MS biting them with Explorer, the Internet was a bunch of text based academia/underground/nerd/niche pages and sites. Netscape made it visually appealing with colors and graphics. Then AOL made it so that every household in America could get online.

Think of all the innovation and the speed at which it became mass adopted we've seen in our lifetime. I first got online at school in the mid 90's, looking up Wu Tang lyrics and shyt. It was this secret underground world at the time. When I got into AOL chat rooms hollering at broads, the vibe was "we can't tell anyone where we met, we have to make up a story." I don't know how it started but there was definitely a hard no stance to admitting you met someone online. Everyone was doing it, but it was on some sneak shyt because "only serial killers and weirdos and basement dwellers meet online."

In 25 years we went from CDs/tapes to mp3s to streaming. VHS to DVD to streaming. "Serial killers and weirdos" to Myspace to Tinder. So on and so on. Where will AI be in 25 years?

:lupe:

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.

You big dummy. Self driving cars are a completely different beast :why: No wonder nikkas are always a step behind. Stay ignorant brehs. Pick up a book.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think a bit shorter than decades but I see your point. To me gen AI is at the "Netscape Navigator/AOL" stage. It's now entering public consciousness and becoming the new "thing." Before Netscape and MS biting them with Explorer, the Internet was a bunch of text based academia/underground/nerd/niche pages and sites. Netscape made it visually appealing with colors and graphics. Then AOL made it so that every household in America could get online.

Think of all the innovation and the speed at which it became mass adopted we've seen in our lifetime. I first got online at school in the mid 90's, looking up Wu Tang lyrics and shyt. It was this secret underground world at the time. When I got into AOL chat rooms hollering at broads, the vibe was "we can't tell anyone where we met, we have to make up a story." I don't know how it started but there was definitely a hard no stance to admitting you met someone online. Everyone was doing it, but it was on some sneak shyt because "only serial killers and weirdos and basement dwellers meet online."

In 25 years we went from CDs/tapes to mp3s to streaming. VHS to DVD to streaming. "Serial killers and weirdos" to Myspace to Tinder. So on and so on. Where will AI be in 25 years?

:lupe:
Black people need to get on this heavy. But not on some you gotta get a certification on anything particular but to innovate, innovate, innovate and invent!!!!

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

I mean the thing is that the doomsday scenario where "machines are more effective at detection and response" is already here and has been as well as APTs offering exploits using ML as a service. Cybersecurity been integrated with ML so its not something on an imaginary horizon.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
You big dummy. Self driving cars are a completely different beast :why: No wonder nikkas are always a step behind. Stay ignorant brehs. Pick up a book.

Shut the fukk up :mjlol:

I've been in the analytics/ML/AI field for over 10 years. I'm not the one.

I mean the thing is that the doomsday scenario where "machines are more effective at detection and response" is already here and has been as well as APTs offering exploits using ML as a service. Cybersecurity been integrated with ML so its not something on an imaginary horizon.

That is true, but that doesn't translate to "humans getting fired". Real life example: I worked on a project where they tried to implement AI in fraud detection for a financial institution. The role of the AI was to detect patterns indicative of money laundering, account takeover or business email compromise. However humans in the loop were still needed to review cases flagged, actively lock down accounts, and process false positives (customers accidentally getting locked out of their accounts). The business was wary of having AI do that, for fear of driving away legitimate customers due to a more rigorous authentication process that was not necessary.

I think AI will make some roles redundant. If your job can be made into an algorithm (process input spit out output), your days are numbered. But there is plenty of room for interaction between machine and human to do more work. This applies in tech. AI can spit out class structures in C. No one is trusting AI to write a flight control software. That won't happen for decades.

We're talking about this in a thread titled: tech industry job layoffs. So there's a reason it's being mentioned: people fear the rise of AI will lead to more layoffs. I'm of the opinion the rise of AI will lead to a net growth in jobs as more industries need AI talent to onboard new technologies, maintain the systems and tune them to specific applications.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
That is true, but that doesn't translate to "humans getting fired". Real life example: I worked on a project where they tried to implement AI in fraud detection for a financial institution. The role of the AI was to detect patterns indicative of money laundering, account takeover or business email compromise. However humans in the loop were still needed to review cases flagged, actively lock down accounts, and process false positives (customers accidentally getting locked out of their accounts). The business was wary of having AI do that, for fear of driving away legitimate customers due to a more rigorous authentication process that was not necessary.

Yeah thats what I was alluding to. Even as AI/ML matures, you will still want defense in depth and as many advantages as possible which includes the human element. If the adversaries are using AI/ML then combating it with only AI/ML won't be enough in itself.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps